Cab Clearance Lights, are they really needed?

jmass

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
I didnt get the cab clearance lights on the f250 KR that I just ordered. I dont plan on making any changes such at wider tires and wheels. Are the cab clearance lights really needed? Im not crazy about the looks of them anyway.

No, you're not crazy. They're not needed, even for wider wheels.

I had them on a King Ranch. Made me hate looking at it in the dark. Every time I walked up, I thought, 'I can't believe they charged me ninety-five bucks to make this thing look like a trash truck'. Never again.

Either you like them or you don't. They certainly serve no useful purpose. Like many accessories it's a personal choice.

Either you like them or you don't. They certainly serve no useful purpose. Like many accessories it's a personal choice.
Agree. I never really considered until I started my build. I have black w/ black package and I was able to see the same truck before I ordered. The amber on black pop sold me instantly. But I agree the truck color could play a part. Not sure how they would look on a red/blue/white? Personal preference it is

Those lights, a really long time ago, were an ICC rule for a commercially licensed truck over a certain GVWR. That's what I was told by my truck driver dad and I really don't know the truth of it.

Are they legally required? Only if the vehicle is wider than 80”. I’m sure technically having tires that extend beyond the body makes them legally necessary, but nobody will pull you over for it. Dually trucks it’s legally required.

If you haul a slide-in camper or tow a trailer that’s wider than 80” then clearance lights are required, but the camper/trailer will come with them and therefore your truck doesn’t need them.

So as others are saying, go with what you prefer. If you don’t like the look, save the money and don’t get them. Bonus is that you have fewer holes in the roof that can leak.

I got them on my truck because I liked the look of them.

First time owning a "big truck", so wanted to look like one. So added them to the option list. Occasionally I do haul trash, so guess that works out too.

I love having them. I pull a trailer a lot at night. More lights for me to be seen the better. Safety first. ?

I'm black on black and love the way it looks at night. During the day I'm not so crazy about them due to the fact they are a clear light

Attachments

• 20210716_212530.jpg
    20210716_212530.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 252
I specifically didn't order them on mine, completely shocked the salesman.

I definitely don't think they look good, especially on a blacked out Tremor. There's also roof penetrations which can lead to leaks and I plan to own my truck long term.

So, I had no idea these things had any practical purpose. I thought they were purely cosmetic.

It turns out, they’re required by law for any vehicle that’s more than 80” wide.

The Tremor is 79.9” wide.

TIL

I'm black on black and love the way it looks at night. During the day I'm not so crazy about them due to the fact they are a clear light
Get some blacked out type, such as Recon. Be for warned that the Recon brand may cause interference with your tire pressure monitoring.

Attachments

• IMG_20210108_140442657_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210108_140442657_HDR.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 155
Get some blacked out type, such as Recon. Be for warned that the Recon brand may cause interference with your tire pressure monitoring.

Back