C class license plate

Flying high

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2014 F150 2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Was at the dealership Saturday looking at that 2021 Ford Tremor and the salesman was telling me I need a C Class plate. Is this true? Thank you

Was at the dealership Saturday looking at that 2021 Ford Tremor and the salesman was telling me I need a C Class plate. Is this true? Thank you

You did not list what state you live in....call local your DMV.

Here in North Carolina owning a 3/4 ton or over 8000# I had to purchase a what’s called a “weighted plate”. It’s an additional $134.00 plus a property tax or assessed value of the truck which was like another $640. This property tax can be higher or a little lower depending on the county you live in.
Yep, here they really stick it to you If you work hard just to enjoy nice things.

You did not list what state you live in....call local your DMV.

Here in North Carolina owning a 3/4 ton or over 8000# I had to purchase a what’s called a “weighted plate”. It’s an additional $134.00 plus a property tax or assessed value of the truck which was like another $640. This property tax can be higher or a little lower depending on the county you live in.
Yep, here they really stick it to you If you work hard just to enjoy nice things.
Live in Illinois seems to be if your truck and cargo is more than 8,000 lb then it's a C Class

Live in Illinois seems to be if your truck and cargo is more than 8,000 lb then it's a C Class
In Illinois you can buy whatever class plate you choose. Some police are aware of the law most not so much.

I opted for Military plates 8000 lb limit

Attachments

• SOS-GVWR1.pdf
    511.4 KB · Views: 41
In Illinois you can buy whatever class plate you choose. Some police are aware of the law most not so much.

I opted for Military plates 8000 lb limit
And as FYI I have F-350. My understanding of the law is you can choose a plate that fits your use. The real cost difference is D plates require certain safety equipment (stuff you should carry regardless) but the real gotcha is archaic safety inspection requirement / cost and being restricted to 55mph regardless of actual speed limit.

If you tow you get the combined weight of trailer plate and your truck plate before they can call you overweight - plus they have to weigh you to enforce any overweight charge.

Back