Burning Smell

FrontRangeDave

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F150
Current Ride #2
F350 Tremor
Every time I drive it home, on what is basically a 4000ft elevation gain over 18 miles. I get a strong burning smell that resembles burnt rubber and hair. Anybody have clue what this might be? I have cross checked the truck and internet and I can’t find an answer. Is this the regen cycle? Truck is empty, no trailer, completely stock and less then 1000 miles on the odometer.

e42cd0795d717e0985a47817923cf743.jpg

Every time I drive it home, on what is basically a 4000ft elevation gain over 18 miles. I get a strong burning smell that resembles burnt rubber and hair. Anybody have clue what this might be? I have cross checked the truck and internet and I can’t find an answer. Is this the regen cycle? Truck is empty, no trailer, completely stock and less then 1000 miles on the odometer.
If it’s a diesel it’s most likely the DEF spray it smells pretty bad cross between rubber and the smell of brakes you shouldn’t smell it inside the cab though usually I don’t smell it but if you’re just doing a short drive and it sprays you’re gonna smell it

Mine had a very short touch of a burnt rubber smell when new. I had it undercoated from the dealerships vendor. they had a touch of overspray on an exhaust pipe. overall a good job just a bit on a pipe that got hot.

Mine had a very short touch of a burnt rubber smell when new. I had it undercoated from the dealerships vendor. they had a touch of overspray on an exhaust pipe. overall a good job just a bit on a pipe that got hot.
Undercoated with what? Whoolwax? Fluidfilm? Amsoil?... not tectyl or some other rubberized stuff, right?

beats the crap out of me some black crap

I did get some Amsoil and plan to get more that stuff is awesome. Amsoil dealer said probably 3 cans to treat a Super Duty. He gave me a free can and I have been using it on my Jeep. Just love it.

When it stinks like that its the regen cycle heating up the Diesel Particulate Filter to burn off the particulates...........which stinks

If you smell that smell....and your gonna drive home from work...take the long way and stay on the interstate....till it finishes....!

TREMOR tip O the week!

When it stinks like that its the regen cycle heating up the Diesel Particulate Filter to burn off the particulates...........which stinks
Does the milage MPG go way down on the regen? Mine drops off bad on a regen.

Mine smells like that recently. Cross between hot rubber and gear/axle fluid. Not noticed it before just though that it was the new toyos

Last edited:
Well I'd love to hear some numbers that people see for MPG drop (before/after) when in active regen. It's purely for scientific purposes.

I usually drop from 18-20MPG around @60-65MPH to 14-15MPG.

I'm not sure if it's the my poor observational skills, the computer, or summer weather we've been having, but the regen seems to take less time at higher temps and I haven't seen it stop at 60% like it did a couple times over the winter.

Edit: I forgot to mention mine is a '22 that shipped without a N0x sensor. No idea if that matters.

It should not be doing a regen every night. And under the maintenance settings on your dash options look at exhaust % and you can tell if you are in a Regen cycle.

Back