Military
Army
Current Ride
Velocity Blue F350 Diesel with Sport & Ultimate package
Current Ride #2
20 Explorer / 18 Indian Chieftain Limited / 19 Can-Am Defender XMR
First Responder
Volunteer Firefighter
I have a lariet sport ultimate 350. around 2600 miles on it. My wife was driving home from work in it (about 30-mile drive), and when she was a couple of miles from home she started to smell a burning smell. Then as she pulled into the driveway it was smokey in the cab. No warning lights were on, and I had her go through all the gauge temps, and they were normal. My mom said the brakes didn't feel hot. Mom and wife say it smelled like really hot metal burning.

Any ideas? How concerning is this?

Last edited:
I have a lariet sport ultimate 350. around 2600 miles on it. My wife was driving home from work in it (about 30-mile drive), and when she was a couple of miles from home she started to smell a burning smell. Then as she pulled into the driveway it was smokey in the cab. No warning lights were on, and I had her go through all the gauge temps, and they were normal. My mom said the brakes didn't feel hot. Mom and wife say it smelled like really hot metal burning.

Maybe the truck was in regen mode and it was interrupted

gas or diesel?

@Mgmack Thats what I was thinking. I told her drive it today and see if anything happens.

@Junior2020 Diesel

I’m also guessing it was in a regen. I’m also new to the new diesels. The other day when I stopped and got out, it smelled like burning as well. Best description I have is when brakes heat up and start smoking. Very similar smell.

I never noticed my truck go thru a regen You would think with a 30 mile trip it would be finished.

Its a regen ......could have begun at the latter half of the drive and then, not finished.....next time out drive till its finished.

Its a regen ......could have begun at the latter half of the drive and then, not finished.....next time out drive till its finished.
How do you know when it is finished?

There is a video on it. In regen mode it will ask you to keep it running and make sure you are in a safe area to perform the procedure. With 7 k on mine never seen it happen yet. I try not to use for short trips and I don't allow to idle for long periods of time.

Drive till it stops stinking.....or watch your gas mileage...which drops during regeneration....once you notice the smell drive it at Hwy speeds for 20 minutes....that should do it.

I just had this happen tonight on the drive home from a 20-30 mile trip right when I pulled up to my house and shut the truck down. Eco mode, raining, nothing else notable.

One thing I thought of was that my air was on outside air, not recirculate, and was pulling in fumes--thought the smell did smell quite a bit like a burning metalic/plastic mell inside the cab, no visible smoke though.

Have you or anyone else had this happen since?

Advice?

I just had this happen tonight on the drive home from a 20-30 mile trip right when I pulled up to my house and shut the truck down. Eco mode, raining, nothing else notable.

One thing I thought of was that my air was on outside air, not recirculate, and was pulling in fumes--thought the smell did smell quite a bit like a burning metalic/plastic mell inside the cab, no visible smoke though.

Have you or anyone else had this happen since?

Advice?
I don’t always smell it on mine but if it happens to be in region mode and I stop at the store or at the house it smells pretty bad

I've got 11,000 mi on my 6.7 and I've never noticed a single regen occurring nor has the truck shown any warning or other indication of a regen. I know they are happening because I check my DPF filter gauge from time to time. Why isn't my truck providing a notification of a regen?

I've got 11,000 mi on my 6.7 and I've never noticed a single regen occurring nor has the truck shown any warning or other indication of a regen. I know they are happening because I check my DPF filter gauge from time to time. Why isn't my truck providing a notification of a regen?
They did away with the regen notification message back in 2017.

I found the following in the FORScan Thread. If you make the following change with FORScan, you can see what percentage of particulate the DPF screen has and watch it during regen to see it clear in real time. Add it to your My View and you can easily scroll to see it taking the guess work out of it. I followed the chart for doing the change and have had no camera issues.

720-07-02 x*xx xxxx = DPF% on Screen Added to Truck Information Screen
Some trucks will report a camera error after making this modification.
To avoid that, make your update according to the following:
If * = 0, change to 8
If 1, change to 9
If 2, change to A
If 3, change to B
If 4, change to C
If 5, change to D
If 6, change to E
If 7, change to F

Maybe the truck was in regen mode and it was interrupted
It’s your Brakes . I have a 2020 diesel and I smell my brakes almost daily . I’ve been driving Super Duty’s for over 20 years and this 2020 has terrible brake issues. A Ford tech told me they’re having issues with caliper bolts sticking causing too much drag on the pads/rotors. I drive it like an old lady and still can smell the brakes every now and then, especially coming down a hill and having to stop or some times, just going around the corner and pulling the driveway. I’m taking it to have it looked at. I haven’t even used the truck to tow yet and it has less than 5k on it. I can’t imagine stopping with a load behind me.

You diesel guys might want to consider one of the gauge packages that gives out information like regen status, EGT, etc. My favorite is the Banks iDash, but there are others too. They just plug into the OBD2 connector and that's it. I have a diesel Chevy Cruze (yes they made them) and it's been through hundreds of regens. No factory indication other than the burning plastic smell and the fan screams after shutdown.

Attachments

• Banks idash.jpg
    Banks idash.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 9
I once had a technician leave the oil filler cap off of my truck after service and it resulted in exhaust-smelling fumes in the cab. This was on my 2008 F-250 diesel. As soon as I realized the cap was off (it was sitting wedged next to the battery) and I placed it back on, no exhaust smell in the cab. Sounds like a made-up story, but it’s 100% true!

Back