BulletProof Hitch

I really wish they sold them this way!!
I agree!! The other two holes work for 2.5” and 2” receivers, but I guess they did not consider those of us with the larger 3”. It only took me about 30 min to drill the extra hole. :cool:

Did
Yeah, I’m having the exact same problem right now. I purchased 2.5” Extreme Duty - 8” Drop hitch (I was in a hurry and inadvertently ordered the wrong hitch but kept it due to return shipping costs). It’s a BEAST! I also have the Weight Distribution/Sway Control Adapter for pulling my10k conventional trailer with Reese WDH and spring bars. Yesterday after towing back from camping, I removed the Weight Distribution/Sway Control Adapter and noticed the two pins from the adapter were bent. The holes in all the hitch components were fine, nothing wallowed out or anything. Just bent pins.

I did get a call back from Bulletproof today and they left a message that they have a solution. I will call them back tomorrow. I also picked up some Grade 8 5/8“ bolts to replace the pins that I may use if needed...
Did you hear back from them today. I have the same setup and am wondering what their answer is. Makes me a little concerned when I go to pull my trailer.

Yeah, I’m having the exact same problem right now. I purchased 2.5” Extreme Duty - 8” Drop hitch (I was in a hurry and inadvertently ordered the wrong hitch but kept it due to return shipping costs). It’s a BEAST! I also have the Weight Distribution/Sway Control Adapter for pulling my10k conventional trailer with Reese WDH and spring bars. Yesterday after towing back from camping, I removed the Weight Distribution/Sway Control Adapter and noticed the two pins from the adapter were bent. The holes in all the hitch components were fine, nothing wallowed out or anything. Just bent pins.

I did get a call back from Bulletproof today and they left a message that they have a solution. I will call them back tomorrow. I also picked up some Grade 8 5/8“ bolts to replace the pins that I may use if needed...
Ok, I talked with the Bulletproof engineering team today and the solution they recommended is to remove the Weight Distribution/Sway Control Adapter from the 2.5” Extreme Duty - 8” Drop hitch and replace it with the following Bulletproof components:

1 x Bulletproof Sway Control Dual Ball Mount
1 x Bulletproof Sway Control System
1 x Bulletproof Corrosion Resistant Pins (replacements for the bent pins)

I was told the towing capabilities of a stock (no air bags, extra spring packs, etc.) 2021 F-250 Tremor 7.3L, towing a trailer having a tongue weight of ~1000 lbs. does not warrant the use of a WDH. The Bulletproof engineering team suspects the combined force from the 1,200 lb. trunnion springs is more than likely what bent the pins on the Bulletproof Weight Distribution/Sway Control Adapter. I'm going to take that statement for what it is... Regardless, I've been assured I'll be happy with the Bulletproof Sway Control Dual Ball Mount & Sway Control System performance without the Reese WDH components. SIDE NOTE: The reason I ended up with the Reese WDH head (#113066) (and 1,200 lb trunnion-style spring bars (#66009) in the first place was because it was 100% required for towing my 10K lb. trailer with a stock 2020 F150 Lariat I had prior to the Tremor. <- 10k lb. trailer + Stock F-150 = Scary to say the least. Hold on and hope for the best was all one could do...

I will be installing the new Bulletproof components once they arrive and provide a follow-up post with how it turns/levels out. Right now with the Bulletproof/Reese WDH combo I'm within 3/8" of level front to back and hoping to be close to that without the WDH. Wishful thinking maybe, we will see.

Take it or leave it, that's the 411 from Bulletproof. Don't shoot the messenger.

Ok, I talked with the Bulletproof engineering team today and the solution they recommended is to remove the Weight Distribution/Sway Control Adapter from the 2.5” Extreme Duty - 8” Drop hitch and replace it with the following Bulletproof components:

1 x Bulletproof Sway Control Dual Ball Mount
1 x Bulletproof Sway Control System
1 x Bulletproof Corrosion Resistant Pins (replacements for the bent pins)

I was told the towing capabilities of a stock (no air bags, extra spring packs, etc.) 2021 F-250 Tremor 7.3L, towing a trailer having a tongue weight of ~1000 lbs. does not warrant the use of a WDH. The Bulletproof engineering team suspects the combined force from the 1,200 lb. trunnion springs is more than likely what bent the pins on the Bulletproof Weight Distribution/Sway Control Adapter. I'm going to take that statement for what it is... Regardless, I've been assured I'll be happy with the Bulletproof Sway Control Dual Ball Mount & Sway Control System performance without the Reese WDH components. SIDE NOTE: The reason I ended up with the Reese WDH head (#113066) (and 1,200 lb trunnion-style spring bars (#66009) in the first place was because it was 100% required for towing my 10K lb. trailer with a stock 2020 F150 Lariat I had prior to the Tremor. <- 10k lb. trailer + Stock F-150 = Scary to say the least. Hold on and hope for the best was all one could do...

I will be installing the new Bulletproof components once they arrive and provide a follow-up post with how it turns/levels out. Right now with the Bulletproof/Reese WDH combo I'm within 3/8" of level front to back and hoping to be close to that without the WDH. Wishful thinking maybe, we will see.

Take it or leave it, that's the 411 from Bulletproof. Don't shoot the messenger.
Makes one wonder what the point of the Bullet Proof WDH adapter is then.

I would probably just buy a shank that fits your trucks hitch and your WDH and call it a day.

Last edited:
Confession: I’ve towed a lot of things with a lot of trucks and I’m not sure I had ever heard of a weight distribution hitch before joining this forum. Keep meaning to figure out what the point is one of these days. ?

Well I'm totally disappointed with the Bullet Proof response. They don't seem to be living up to their namesake. Looking at the ratings for their weight distribution adaptor, the 1200# tongue weight with the 1200# spring bars wasn't even close to the mid point of the capacities they claim for this adaptor on their web site. They show a capacity of 36K pounds and a tongue weight of 6K if mounted to a 3" receiver. There's no way on earth those pins will hold up to weight distribution at those loads.

As I stated in an earlier comment their design is extremely weak with regards to their method of connecting attachments to their U-shaped adjustable height bracket. Other brands have designs that support the bolts or pins throughout the length of those items. And numerous brands design in other features that carry those stresses and the bolts or pins just secure the connection. For me Bullet Proof would be my last choice having seen these damaged parts and their response.

BTW those pins are destined to shear off at some point while towing with the way they are deformed. I would be very concerned if I worked at Bullet Proof Hitches and a customer brought this to my attention. This has big time liability written all over it.

I would definitely be replacing the pins with 5/8" grade 8 bolts. The hitch pins provided certainly are not up to the task.

So now what to do. I just received the 8" drop hitch with the 2 balls and got the WDH adaptor because of all the reviews I've read and I liked being able to adjust the height for 2 different trailers I use the WDH for. Would something like the WDH adaptor they developed be put through a lot of torture testing before they started selling it? And the pins.

Well I'm totally disappointed with the Bullet Proof response. They don't seem to be living up to their namesake. Looking at the ratings for their weight distribution adaptor, the 1200# tongue weight with the 1200# spring bars wasn't even close to the mid point of the capacities they claim for this adaptor on their web site. They show a capacity of 36K pounds and a tongue weight of 6K if mounted to a 3" receiver. There's no way on earth those pins will hold up to weight distribution at those loads.

As I stated in an earlier comment their design is extremely weak with regards to their method of connecting attachments to their U-shaped adjustable height bracket. Other brands have designs that support the bolts or pins throughout the length of those items. And numerous brands design in other features that carry those stresses and the bolts or pins just secure the connection. For me Bullet Proof would be my last choice having seen these damaged parts and their response.

BTW those pins are destined to shear off at some point while towing with the way they are deformed. I would be very concerned if I worked at Bullet Proof Hitches and a customer brought this to my attention. This has big time liability written all over it.
Yeah I decided to just buy a new 2.5 curt shank for my WDH and then I’ll get an adjustable one for everything else

So now what to do. I just received the 8" drop hitch with the 2 balls and got the WDH adaptor because of all the reviews I've read and I liked being able to adjust the height for 2 different trailers I use the WDH for. Would something like the WDH adaptor they developed be put through a lot of torture testing before they started selling it? And the pins.
Been searching this morning and can't find another manufacturer that has this type of connection for a weight distribution head. Most other brands use grade 8 bolts for this connection and have full support for the bolts with solid connections with no spaces. These hitches specify high torque requirements for these bolts in their instructions for a reason.

All other brands have the same height adjustability. The flaw in the Bullet Proof design is the way all the accessories connect to the insert shank. They have welded on tabs that fit inside the U shaped adjustable bracket. The pins slide through the holes in the tabs and shank bracket but are not tightened like a bolt and are not supported between the tabs. Also these welded on tabs are very weak by design. Not nearly as much supporting material strength as other designs with solid mounting pieces.

The accessory brackets like the weight distribution bracket should have been simplified without all the welded on pieces. A simple rectangle solid block that fits between the U bracket with multiple holes for high grade bolts would have made this attachment as strong as the rest of the hitch. They over engineered their accessory brackets and made them very weak in the process, and also more expensive to manufacture.

Unfortunately you are stuck with their system unless you can return for a refund. Most other brands have universal connections to a 2" or 2.5" adjustable post on the insert shank. Bullet Proof decided to go outside the standard so you cannot use any other brand of weight distribution adaptor with their insert shank. At the very least you can use 5/8" grade 8 bolts through the mounting holes. They are available at most farm stores. Make sure the nuts are also grade 8.

Last edited:
Well I am also very disappointing with their answer also. I paid this much for this hitch just to stress about it failing on me while towing. Redzilla is correct on how they made these and they surely don’t hold up to the standards that they advertise. I think I’ll be asking for a refund. There is not a lot of solutions for the 3 inch shank but may just get a 2 1/2 shank that reduces to a 2 inch and then use a reducer in the hitch.

Well I am also very disappointing with their answer also. I paid this much for this hitch just to stress about it failing on me while towing. Redzilla is correct on how they made these and they surely don’t hold up to the standards that they advertise. I think I’ll be asking for a refund. There is not a lot of solutions for the 3 inch shank but may just get a 2 1/2 shank that reduces to a 2 inch and then use a reducer in the hitch.
Although I don't own one yet, the Weigh Safe steel weight distribution hitch is the one I will buy when we get our toy hauler. Although it only comes in a 2 or 2.5" shank it's a very robust design. It also has a very straight forward setup process that's fool proof, and when you save the setup in your phone app you can have multiple trailers saved for quick change between trailers if needed. Also their regular couplers for lighter trailers will fit on the same shank. Another nice feature is the length of the hitch makes enough room that you can open your tailgate while hitched up. Watch the video on their site and you'll be impressed. https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/true-tow-weight-distribution-hitch/
1620223385824.png

Although I don't own one yet, the Weigh Safe steel weight distribution hitch is the one I will buy when we get our toy hauler. Although it only comes in a 2 or 2.5" shank it's a very robust design. It also has a very straight forward setup process that's fool proof, and when you save the setup in your phone app you can have multiple trailers saved for quick change between trailers if needed. Also their regular couplers for lighter trailers will fit on the same shank. Another nice feature is the length of the hitch makes enough room that you can open your tailgate while hitched up. Watch the video on their site and you'll be impressed. https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/true-tow-weight-distribution-hitch/View attachment 23563
Yeah that looks like a nice setup. I just don’t want to spend that much on a new weight distribution hitch when I already have a nice blue ox wdh with built in sway control. I love how it performs so would like to use it. Wish there just was 3” shank that reduces to a 2”.

Yeah, I'm interested in the feedback on that hitch as well. Waiting on a 24' car hauler and that hitch setup caught my attention. Didn't really feel I have the need for a WDH but could probably benefit from sway control and thats the only setup like that I have found. Pricey though!

Yeah that looks like a nice setup. I just don’t want to spend that much on a new weight distribution hitch when I already have a nice blue ox wdh with built in sway control. I love how it performs so would like to use it. Wish there just was 3” shank that reduces to a 2”.
There are a number of great weight distribution hitches out there and many have been proven for decades. Blue Ox is a great system and I would stick with that also if I already had one. Reese and Curt make very good WD hitches and their prices are reasonable.

There are a number of great weight distribution hitches out there and many have been proven for decades. Blue Ox is a great system and I would stick with that also if I already had one. Reese and Curt make very good WD hitches and their prices are reasonable.
I agree with Blue Ox being a great WDH system. They only have a 2.5” shank, but I needed to buy a new one anyway, so I went with the 7” drop and I will use it with the 3” to 2.5” reducer Ford includes with their diesel SDs.

I received my Bulletproof hitch. Build quality looks good. I hope it performs as expected.

As far as the weight distribution adapter goes, I'm not sure how 2 - 5/8" pins in a loose connection with a 4" spread will ever be able to withstand the torque that the grade 8 - 3/4" bolts which are torqued and therefore apply frictional resistance in addition to the shear strength of the pins or bolts, and also at a 4" spread, can hold up to where the head attaches to the adapter. The way to fix it to have an engineer calculate how much torque the 5/8" pins can withstand and limit the weight distribution adapter to this associated weight. The other way to fix it would be to re-tool and get rid of the 5/8" pins and replace them with 3/4" pins; which I don't see them doing. Another possible solution I just thought of would be to have the WD adapter span another hole (6" spread), this will reduce the shear that each pin sees and "might" be enough to keep the 5/8" pin within its working limit. This should be obvious to an engineer that I hope they have on the payroll, and an easy solution. I would call it WD adaptor 2.0. lol

After more thought I have decided not to get the weight distribution adapter and I will put that money towards a 3" shank for my WD set up. I was hoping to eliminate some overlap but I'm not willing to lose a trailer over it. How much can the pins bend before they break? what alloy are they? are Grade 8 bolts stronger than what ever they used? All questions none of us can answer.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to get rid of their weight distribution adapter, I’d give $100 for one shipped.

Back