BulletProof Hitch

Do you have a closeup of how their WD Spring bars attach to their hitch head? I have the Blue Ox WDH and it uses 3/4” hardened steel bolts tightened to 257 ft/lbs for my 1500 lb spring bars .
This what you're looking for?
20210103_104914.jpg

This what you're looking for?
View attachment 23391
A19770F3-3C21-4ABE-A201-C9601CC57571.jpeg

I have mine at what appears to be a much smaller angle. (Maybe it’s just the perspective in the photo) I wonder if the extra cant on yours adds the extra stress on the pins… maybe? But my trailer is also smaller. 32 ft at less than 7k lbs

View attachment 23392
I have mine at what appears to be a much smaller angle. (Maybe it’s just the perspective in the photo) I wonder if the extra cant on yours adds the extra stress on the pins… maybe? But my trailer is also smaller. 32 ft at less than 7k lbs

You likely know this already, but the angle is determined by the needed angle of the spring bars. Since I'm displacing more weight with my bars they also flex a little more, I think that's why the angle is higher. If I were to set it up according to Reese's spec it would actually be angled a bit more, but I don't want the bars hanging any lower then they already are, so I just have a little shorter chain then average. I suppose it's possible that this could have something to do with it, but I'm not sure how it would come into play.

You likely know this already, but the angle is determined by the needed angle of the spring bars. Since I'm displacing more weight with my bars they also flex a little more, I think that's why the angle is higher. If I were to set it up according to Reese's spec it would actually be angled a bit more, but I don't want the bars hanging any lower then they already are, so I just have a little shorter chain then average. I suppose it's possible that this could have something to do with it, but I'm not sure how it would come into play.
Indeed. Sounds like your trailer requires a lot more tension than mine. Maybe BulletProof needs a third pin on their WDH adapter to support the load.

Indeed. Sounds like your trailer requires a lot more tension than mine. Maybe BulletProof needs a third pin on their WDH adapter to support the load.
You might be onto something there!!!

That’s what I bought, but in the 6” drop. Here’s a couple photos for reference. The 6” is a good height, but if you were pulling a small trailer, it might be kinda high.
Can’t believe you don’t have that hitched locked up, just a pen

Following this !!! I too have the same 3 " bullet proof hitch with the WD adapter. Havent towed my TT yet did set it up but not sure yet on the road maaners yet. I do know it sets it away from the bumper more as the Ford backup assit wont work due to the measuemnt from camera to hitch is outside the range.

Can’t believe you don’t have that hitched locked up, just a pen
Nah, that was an old picture. When I ordered, they sent me two locks that weren’t keyed alike. I called Bulletproof and they sent me two new ones. She’s good and secured now.
F6F742E1-83F1-45CE-8E09-B079064D9B8F.jpeg

I 100% agree, I think they'll get me sorted. I've reached out to them just tonight, for what it's worth I'm not putting them on blast, just sharing my experience. They replaced my locking pin already and advised that I use the other pins only. Sadly as you can see in the post above those have bent also. I'm wondering if the gap between the WD adapter and the shank is beyond their tolerances and that's why the pins are bending. I sent them some pictures and I have no doubt I'll hear back from them on Monday. They are good people and I have faith that they'll make it right.
Totally agree with your assessment. I don't like their design where there's a gap between the two tabs where the pins are unsupported. The part of the adaptor where the weight distribution head bolts on to the adaptor is a solid block for full support. I think they need to do away with the whole welded tab thing on the side that mounts to the shank and it too should be a solid block to support the pins for the full span from head to spring clip.
1619965978241.png

I like this design a whole lot better. The weight distribution head mounts to the shank in such a way that the torque load produced by the spring bars is carried by the machined channels that interlock between the shank and head. The two pins only load is to secure the head in its vertical position. I think the Bullet proof weight distribution connection has some serious design flaws, at least with this connection.
1619965465483.png
1619965525644.png

Last edited:
Nice smokers, even though you are in the Carolinas! LOL!! :ROFLMAO: (Grew up in KC, live in Texas, and Memphis area previous to that)
BBQ RULES! Are you a professional pit master?
I am. We’ve been in business for 82 years. My grandfather created the mustard sauce here in SC.

For those of you who like the Bolt Lock that uses your truck's key I bought one for the ball also and it was just slightly too short. I reached out to the company and they sent me a longer pin for free.

Here are some pics of it and the part number for the pin they sent.
PXL_20210503_200004587.jpg

PXL_20210430_214623034.jpg
PXL_20210430_214554894.jpg

I bought the 3" shank and 8" drop, I guess I'm the only one that's happy I went with the 8". My camper is a 10k+ bumper pull that's 40' long. I wanted to have some head room with the weight ratings on the hitch and wanted to be able to use the WD setup as well as have a one size fits all solution for my towing needs. This hitch fits the bill. The only thing I'm unhappy about it is the pins have bent using my WD setup. I have 1,500lb spring bars for the WD hitch and it bends the pins they provide, even the "hardened" ones that they say shouldn't bend (non-locking pins). I'm not sure if it's the clearance between the adapter and the shank or if it's really just that much torque being applied to the pins. Either way I'm not very happy about that. Love the company is American owned and products are American made. ??View attachment 23375View attachment 23376View attachment 23377View attachment 23378
View attachment 23380
Yeah, I’m having the exact same problem right now. I purchased 2.5” Extreme Duty - 8” Drop hitch (I was in a hurry and inadvertently ordered the wrong hitch but kept it due to return shipping costs). It’s a BEAST! I also have the Weight Distribution/Sway Control Adapter for pulling my10k conventional trailer with Reese WDH and spring bars. Yesterday after towing back from camping, I removed the Weight Distribution/Sway Control Adapter and noticed the two pins from the adapter were bent. The holes in all the hitch components were fine, nothing wallowed out or anything. Just bent pins.

I did get a call back from Bulletproof today and they left a message that they have a solution. I will call them back tomorrow. I also picked up some Grade 8 5/8“ bolts to replace the pins that I may use if needed...
I bought the 3" shank and 8" drop, I guess I'm the only one that's happy I went with the 8". My camper is a 10k+ bumper pull that's 40' long. I wanted to have some head room with the weight ratings on the hitch and wanted to be able to use the WD setup as well as have a one size fits all solution for my towing needs. This hitch fits the bill. The only thing I'm unhappy about it is the pins have bent using my WD setup. I have 1,500lb spring bars for the WD hitch and it bends the pins they provide, even the "hardened" ones that they say shouldn't bend (non-locking pins). I'm not sure if it's the clearance between the adapter and the shank or if it's really just that much torque being applied to the pins. Either way I'm not very happy about that. Love the company is American owned and products are American made. ??View attachment 23375View attachment 23376View attachment 23377View attachment 23378
View attachment 23380

Yeah, I’m having the exact same problem right now. I purchased 2.5” Extreme Duty - 8” Drop hitch (I was in a hurry and inadvertently ordered the wrong hitch but kept it due to return shipping costs). It’s a BEAST! I also have the Weight Distribution/Sway Control Adapter for pulling my10k conventional trailer with Reese WDH and spring bars. Yesterday after towing back from camping, I removed the Weight Distribution/Sway Control Adapter and noticed the two pins from the adapter were bent. The holes in all the hitch components were fine, nothing wallowed out or anything. Just bent pins.

I did get a call back from Bulletproof today and they left a message that they have a solution. I will call them back tomorrow. I also picked up some Grade 8 5/8“ bolts to replace the pins that I may use if needed...
Looking forward to the answer as I’m looking at buying one soon. Hopefully it’s all better they seem like a great company.

I brought the Extreme 8” drop. Thing is crazy overbuilt. I love it, but wish I bought the 6” HD for everyday. I bought this one for my tractor and wood trailer. The dang thing is so big and sticks out so much that it sets off my rear bumper alerts.
I am going to keep it for WDH purposes but will be buying the 6”. I tow a smaller boat and a couple BBQ smokers and the 8” is too long and I dont even have it at the last holes.
In person....its crazy looking. Overkill doesnt even begin to describe it but it definitely tames the still suspension of the 350.

Hey BBQBOY what part of SC are u in? Im in Travelers Rest near Greenville

I'm very interested to hear what they come up with as I have a similar setup. I have not used it yet, but I'd rather not have this problem.

Nah, that was an old picture. When I ordered, they sent me two locks that weren’t keyed alike. I called Bulletproof and they sent me two new ones. She’s good and secured now. View attachment 23402
I bought the same BulletProof lock for my B&W Tow and Stow hitch and I had to drill a new hole in the end so I could put the cotter pin in when using my 3" receiver. I do not trust the lock enough to not use a safety cotter pin. There are reports of similar locks coming off when towing.

It took several drill bit sizes, as the hardened SS was quite tough to get through, but now, it fits on my 3" receiver with the safety cotter pin in place.

Tremor-BP-Hole.jpeg
Tremor-BP-Cotter.jpeg
Tremor-BP-Lock.jpeg

I bought the same BulletProof lock for my B&W Tow and Stow hitch and I had to drill a new hole in the end so I could put the cotter pin in when using my 3" receiver. I do not trust the lock enough to not use a safety cotter pin. There are reports of similar locks coming off when towing.

It took several drill bit sizes, as the hardened SS was quite tough to get through, but now, it fits on my 3" receiver with the safety cotter pin in place.

View attachment 23495View attachment 23496View attachment 23497
That's the way all locking pins need to be made, don't ask me why I like that. :) Was about an 1/8" from losing my 23' jet sled a few years ago. Never have used a locking pin since, they have to have a cotter pin through them now and none of those cotter keys that go over the notch on the outside. Great idea TX

View attachment 23495View attachment 23496View attachment 23497
I really wish they sold them this way!!

Back