Break-in fluid change

Hey all,

Im about 750 miles on the tremor and I’m curious what you all are doing for your first oil change. I’ve seen people saying they do one at 1000 and then go by the truck recommendation? I do stop and go so I might cut it a bit shorter than the computer says but mostly curious about a shorter first change.
The dealer told me to bring it back at 3000 miles… 7.3 L

Hey all,

Im about 750 miles on the tremor and I’m curious what you all are doing for your first oil change. I’ve seen people saying they do one at 1000 and then go by the truck recommendation? I do stop and go so I might cut it a bit shorter than the computer says but mostly curious about a shorter first change.
I have 4000 on my 6.7. I changed my oil at 2500. I wanted to make sure the engine was broke in and rings properly seated with the factory oil. I installed 15W40 full synthetic that met the ford Standard at that time....I will switch back to 5W40 full synthetic in the fall. I will also follow the Severe Duty oil change schedule.....change every 5000 miles. I am also using Arch Oil in my truck. Want to know more check out Powerstrokehelp.com if you own a 6.7

You all apparently like to spend money and are smarter than all the engineers who HAVE extensively researched through data analysis of oil sample testing have determined the recommended oil change intervals.

Someone stated no way oil lasts that long unless you have factual data to show how long oil can be used before you see molecular and viscosity breakdown then please don’t give advice. In the military for a long time they used oil testing labs to determine when oil should be changed and some of the intervals would surprise you

Do what you want but follow manufacturer recommendations and stop overthinking shit

The last several years I have been sending my oil in to be tested on my motorcycle. After some engine work I wanted to see actual data if the oil was worn out or could I go a bit longer. I have sent in several samples of high dollar oil to not so expensive oil..The results came back that the best reults were for Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50. I changed all the samples out at 5000 miles and the lab said the Mobil 1 could go another 2000-2500 miles with little effect on oil performance. I still change at 5000 miles... I was surprised the most expensive oil had some of the worst results of them all....But now I know not just taking someone's opinion. Just my 2 cents guys....

I used these guys and they send the results via email.

The last several years I have been sending my oil in to be tested on my motorcycle. After some engine work I wanted to see actual data if the oil was worn out or could I go a bit longer. I have sent in several samples of high dollar oil to not so expensive oil..The results came back that the best reults were for Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50. I changed all the samples out at 5000 miles and the lab said the Mobil 1 could go another 2000-2500 miles with little effect on oil performance. I still change at 5000 miles... I was surprised the most expensive oil had some of the worst results of them all....But now I know not just taking someone's opinion. Just my 2 cents guys....

love Blackstone, interesting stuff

I agree with you......and most experts (who I listen to) all say the same thing....5000 mile intervals no matter what oil you run.....not so much as to the loss of lubrication of the oil, but because of the cleanliness of the oil. Besides, I really don't mind a few extra bucks every 6 months considering the terrible traffic I drive in and the Towing.

Exactly my point and that was a low capacity high revving performance situation our trucks are nearly the opposite end of the spectrum low Rev with high oil capacity

follow what the owners manual and manufacturer tell you you’ll be fine

I've been running full syn on my 2013 F150 Ecoboost, change it every 10K miles, at 130K now have had no issues, still getting 17 MPG combined, no loss of power, engine runs smoothly, seems to be against what most are comfortable with here., not preaching just sharing my experience. Generally that has lined up closely with the computers oil life calculation as well, I stretch it a little due to the full syn.

In the past with my 2001 7.3 Powerstroke, I was on a 3,500 mile interval and changed oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter with OEM compatable parts (Fram, Rotella, etc....) regardless of the use. The truck was nearly trouble free through 285,000 miles and consumed no oil and had great power (for a 7.3L) until I traded it in (the cam position sensor was my only recurring issue until Ford replaced it with an upgraded unit that ran for over 150k until I sold it. Brakes, belt,tires, wiper blades and one transmission were the only other things I did. On the 2020, I think I am going to follow the manual and oil life gauges on this one and see how it does. I will admit, I am not smarter than Ford on maintaining their engines. I am at almost 3,200 miles and the oil-life gauge says 71%. Feeling like a maintenance session at 10k miles is the plan.

The vast majority of my use of the 6.7L will be at a fraction of it's capability. I work from home (or fly around the country using Uber) both before and after COVID-19, so no long, stop and go commutes, and it's mostly driven unloaded highway, light towing, hauling feed and hunting weekend supplies. I could do 99% of what I do with a 4 cylinder Tacoma and not stress the drive-train. A few times a year I load it up near capacity, but it is still on the highway.

I am not convinced that synthetics oils are worth it, while I think they are technically better, especially for my light use. If I was really working the engine in this truck, I might have a different answer. I will go with the bottom end of what Ford recommends.

Ed

Well, if we all just took as gospel everything that the vehicle manufactures tell us about our vehicles, then the aftermarket industry wouldn't exist. If the engineers are the end-all-be-all tell me why are there dozens of threads on here about air filters, exhaust systems, tuners, forscan, suspension upgrades, etc? There is no one answer for all things including oil. Oil service life in Florida is different than in Nova Scotia. A daily driver is different than a hot shot hauling 20k+ lb loads all day. Real world performance is different than a laboratory. I'm not saying I know more about these trucks than an engineer that developed them but I also don't think It's a waste of money to service the vehicle on a different schedule. Peace of mind has no price tag.

Check your factory oil boys asap. 7 quarts out, 8.5 quarts in.
9AE8E1A6-2F83-45E8-AC79-BAB59E5B0F92.jpeg
Also, pretty dark for 1500 miles compared to Mobil 1. Had to half crush the factory filter to get it off.

View attachment 1687
Also, pretty dark for 1500 miles compared to Mobil 1. Had to half crush the factory filter to get it off.

New engines need an oil change sooner than later for sure. I'm willing to bet these things suck of ton of oil through the PCV.

I changed my 7.3 break in oil at 2500 miles it was full according to the dipstick and the oil came out clean looking and yes the factory filter was tight.

View attachment 1687
Mine was down a quart with 37 miles on it. Added a Quart and just under 1,000 miles its holding.

I'm gonna look like a dumbass, but whatever - I've never had a diesel. Best time to check the oil ... same as with a gas engine? After it's warmed up, correct?

I'm gonna look like a dumbass, but whatever - I've never had a diesel. Best time to check the oil ... same as with a gas engine? After it's warmed up, correct?

To get the most accurate oil level, check after it's been sitting a while (perhaps first thing before you drive it for the day) on level ground. Also, when you change your engine oil in a diesel, it will instantly turn black, that's normal. It's not like a gas engine where it slowly darkens with increased miles.

Back