Break-in fluid change

Vicious-Peanut

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Hey all,

Im about 750 miles on the tremor and I’m curious what you all are doing for your first oil change. I’ve seen people saying they do one at 1000 and then go by the truck recommendation? I do stop and go so I might cut it a bit shorter than the computer says but mostly curious about a shorter first change.

I’ve always done first change at 1000 then go to normal intervals. This truck will be not different. At 750 ish right now, oil change coming soon.

I’ve always done first change at 1000 then go to normal intervals. This truck will be not different. At 750 ish right now, oil change coming soon.

How does the oil typically look at 1000? Also, do you cut the filter open for the second change to look for debris?

Ok excellent. Im looking to run full synthetic Rotella

Did mine at just over 1k miles. Ford says break in oil changes aren't necessary but I do them anyway

Also, the new interval is every 10k miles! I find that insane. Unless they started making oil out of gold and diamonds there's not way it would last that long. but I supposed the on-board diagnostics look at use and load and modify the oil life indicator on the instrument cluster. I do mine quarterly no matter what

I am planning for sometime just over 1000 mies, by the way check and re check your level mine was a quart low.

My axles were both low in my Jeep Rubicon so next time I crawl under the Tremor I may check those levels.

I plan to switch over to Amsoil synthetic and use their filter. Probably will be a twice a year thing from me after that.

But I don't run a ton of miles I am probably 10 K per year with is nothing maybe a few more since I like driving it over the Duramax

I do 2000 miles then when the truck tells me to after that.

7.3 engine
I will do my first oil change at 1000 miles, then every 6 months (I will probably do about 5k in that time frame). It's cheap insurance. I will switch over to Amsoil synthetic and use OEM oil filters.

Between the newer oils, oil capacity and the much more complete combustion inside the chamber, oils last exceptionally longer than in the olden days. We do extensive oil analysis on different oils, new and used, along with various additives and found even the 6.7 diesel with good quality regular petroleum is good to 5,000 miles without any issues, and then synthetics 7,500 easily depending how the vehicle is driven. Gas engines would be similar, If not idled a ton, and not driven hard (definition of hard depends who you ask), 10,000 is not an issue. For myself I would not go 10,000 unless it was a lease.

I am not a big fan of 5W20 and feel it has been used more for fuel mileage, and very well could cause long term durability and wear issues. For the new 7.3 I would have gone with 5W30 even if Ford did not recommend that now.

Back to the topic, there is true break in that needs to be completed on an engine, but also not the same what it used to be as most all engines are run-in at the factory. In todays engines this is almost exclusively for the rings to seat. Fairly rare to have an issue, but it happens. Myself will run around 2,000 miles and change with Motorcraft 5W30 and the Motorcraft filters are pretty darn good.

NameSpecification
Engine Oil - SAE 5W-30 - Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
XO-5W30-Q1SP
WSS-M2C946-B1

Engine Oil Capacity

ItemSpecification
Service fill including oil filter​
8 qt (7.5 L)

Torque Specifications

Engine oil drain plug: 19 lb.ft (26 Nm)

Engine Oil Capacity

ItemSpecification
8 qt (7.5 L)

Torque Specifications

This is for the 7.3

6.7 Diesel
ItemSpecification
Motorcraft® SAE 10W-30 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil​
WSS-M2C171-F1
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil​
WSS-M2C171-F1
Motorcraft® SAE 15W-40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil​
WSS-M2C171-F1

Engine Oil Capacity

ItemSpecification
8 qt (7.5 L)

Torque Specifications

7.3 Gas Engine

6.7 Diesel
ItemSpecification
Motorcraft® SAE 10W-30 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil​
WSS-M2C171-F1
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil​
WSS-M2C171-F1
Motorcraft® SAE 15W-40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil​
WSS-M2C171-F1
ItemSpecification
13 qt (12.3 L)

I guess I’ll do one about 1500 miles and I’ll swap to Rotella T6 5w-40. Lots of reading last night about Ford approval of various oils.

Back