Break-in fluid change

To get the most accurate oil level, check after it's been sitting a while (perhaps first thing before you drive it for the day) on level ground. Also, when you change your engine oil in a diesel, it will instantly turn black, that's normal. It's not like a gas engine where it slowly darkens with increased miles.
Wow - great info. Thank you

To get the most accurate oil level, check after it's been sitting a while (perhaps first thing before you drive it for the day) on level ground. Also, when you change your engine oil in a diesel, it will instantly turn black, that's normal. It's not like a gas engine where it slowly darkens with increased miles.
Thats for sure.......I changed mine with full synthetic at 2500 Miles....1500 miles later I checked it....yup Black!

Anyone have the correct size or part # for a oil filter wrench (like the one in photo) for the factory oil filter? I am fixing to order everything soon.

40ADF521-6172-419B-8199-4E9F73E8313D.jpeg

I had a Blackstone test done on every change on my 2015 F350, and will be doing the sam with my 2020 F350.
What I learned is that you can trust the Ford oil change monitor.
There was always great life left in my oil.
I was going 7500miles (12000km).
And the monitor was bang on that as well.
Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 0w40 has given me the best results.
It performed better than even the Mobil 1 5w40 turbo diesel oil....which is the last change below.
The other changes are all Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 0w40.
Also I see guys are changing there “break in” oil quite quickly.
Which used to be the popular thinking.
I left mine in until the minder told me to change it on my 2015, each to there own though.
CF890B85-2E14-4555-B32E-BB25DA5F571B.png

This gives a bit more info.
DF2F866E-5F8C-43CD-BE52-EADD09FA5C79.jpeg

Now that's hardcore vehicle ownership. Thanks. Great info. Cool to see the data. I still change mine every 3 months out of habit or sooner if the vehicle computer says so. Same goes for the break-in. I've always done it at 1k miles and probably always will out of habit.

When I sold the truck to a work mate; I had the analysis of every oil change since new for him on the truck, which he really liked. So it helped with the resale as well.
So win win!!

Just completed my first oil change. 1,510 miles.
IMG_5279.jpeg
miles.
Was very easy. The drain plug and filter are close so you can use one pan. but make sure its large enough to hold all of the volume.

I got it up to temp pulled the filter and plug and let it sit over night.

I used the AMSOIL filter and oil. They claim 25,000 mile intervals.

I am thinking 10,000 miles ,

Any thoughts on how long of an interval would be appropriate ?

Yes you could do 10k and take a sample and have it analyzed at a lab like Blackstone.
Get them to run a TBN test and it will tell you how much life is left in the oil.
But I think the oil will still be fine for life....but because of the DPF and regen, the insolubles might start going up....and that may be the reason to change it.
But a $35 test will give you the answer depending on your driving habits and conditions.
If it comes back fine at 10k, you can always go longer next time.
Blackstone can also offer advice if your interested in extended intervals.
You can also install a drain valve, to make takIng a sample easier as discussed above.

Yes you could do 10k and take a sample and have it analyzed at a lab like Blackstone.
Get them to run a TBN test and it will tell you how much life is left in the oil.
But I think the oil will still be fine for life....but because of the DPF and regen, the insolubles might start going up....and that may be the reason to change it.
But a $35 test will give you the answer depending on your driving habits and conditions.
If it comes back fine at 10k, you can always go longer next time.
Blackstone can also offer advice if your interested in extended intervals.
You can also install a drain valve, to make takIng a sample easier as discussed above.
good advice thank you!, its about $120.00 for all the AMSOIL products to change it myself. I am deeply concerned about all the recycling of the exhaust back into the engine with these. Its not really the $120 cost but its a time saver for me. I don't want to push it too far.

I did my first change at 2500.......put in Rotella T6 15w40 Full Synthetic (WSS-M2C171-F1) because its Hot in NC March-October. I also added Archoil. In October I will switch to 5w40 Full Synthetic. I won't go longer than 5000 miles unless I add a bypass filtration system. Its the carbon, dirt, and other crap that is gonna get you. Modern oils especially full synthetic don't break down that quickly. If you don't believe me check the color of your brand new full synthetic oil after 500 miles! (If your running a 6.7 PS that is).

If you don't believe me check the color of your brand new full synthetic oil after 500 miles! (If your running a 6.7 PS that is).
Sadly its not the same as when I put it in. Not even 500 miles, if I tow a lot this summer maybe it gets changed every 5,000 miles. At least have a chemical test on it and see.

Sadly its not the same as when I put it in. Not even 500 miles, if I tow a lot this summer maybe it gets changed every 5,000 miles. At least have a chemical test on it and see.
Roger That

Some good stuff in this thread. Has anyone on here installed a bypass system on a 6.7? How clean does it keep the oil? Worth the expense? I'm new to diesels but have an extensive mechanical background. I plan on driving this truck into the ground so I'm considering installing a bypass system early in its life to help keep the wear to a minimum.

Some good stuff in this thread. Has anyone on here installed a bypass system on a 6.7? How clean does it keep the oil? Worth the expense? I'm new to diesels but have an extensive mechanical background. I plan on driving this truck into the ground so I'm considering installing a bypass system early in its life to help keep the wear to a minimum.
I have not....but it is on my list of to do's....it filters down to 2 microns and is in my opinion the best way to keep your oil and engine in the best possible condition. I just need to find someone reliable to do the install....

Back