Boxlink Cleats Install Issues

Has anyone added more boxlink plates to their truck yet?
I am looking at adding 2 more but really do not know if they will hold? I added the tool chest and it covers up the front 2. I would like to add the plates that mount to the side of the bed so I will have 4 again.

Last edited:
Assuming they're the same shape as the 2019 F-150, I actually created a video showing I managed to get them installed. They end up being pretty tight when installed on top of a spray-in bed liner. Some of the comments recommended a couple other options like installing washers behind the mounting plates or using a drop of soap as lubrication to help the cleats slide in easier.

Ive done 8 of these now. Unlock them and tap them up with a small dead-blow. I wouldn't take a grinder or a file to them until you try that. They generally wont go in by hand force alone.

I got them in last night. They were beyond tight. Thanks all for the feedback.

Some dish soap and skilled use of an advance assembly technique called Malletization

I found if you have the slightest angle they are difficult to install. I had to make sure I had them almost perfectly vertical before they would install.

Hi Everyone, When I purchased my 2020 F-250 a few weeks ago, there was a blister pack of the box link cleats. The part number is HL3J-9927740-AC. I just opened the package and attempted to install them, but its just about impossible to attach them to the plates in the bed as per the included instructions. It appears that the cleat is not the appropriate shape to slide in and up so that that lock can be engaged. Would anyone happen to know if the part number mentioned above is the correct one? I think these are for another Ford model truck. Thanks in advance.

Same issue...I just removed the mount, slid the cleat in, and remounted...worked perfect. No way it would go on otherwise...definitely a design flaw.

Hi Everyone, When I purchased my 2020 F-250 a few weeks ago, there was a blister pack of the box link cleats. The part number is HL3J-9927740-AC. I just opened the package and attempted to install them, but its just about impossible to attach them to the plates in the bed as per the included instructions. It appears that the cleat is not the appropriate shape to slide in and up so that that lock can be engaged. Would anyone happen to know if the part number mentioned above is the correct one? I think these are for another Ford model truck. Thanks in advance.
They are correct, just use a rubber mallet and give them a good tap to get them in.

I had the same part number and issue as the OP. I found that if you turn the cleat upside down and use a dead blow to tap it in to place it works much better since you don’t have the lock in the way and can hit it more squarely. Then you can flip it back over and put it back in by hand.

I guess Ford decided that the ones for my '16 F150 went in too easily.

Simple hack. Take the mounting plate off or loosen it up a little. They just push on with your hand. I have a write up with pictures on my build thread.

Mine went in very easy. So easy it was surprising! Now you guys have me worried I didn't put them in right. I better go check.

Installed mine tonight and dig up this ol thread because they wouldn’t go on. I ran a file they the mounting slots until they slid in easy. Im not of a “if it don’t fit, force it” mindset. You usually have to beat it twice as hard down the road to remove it. Mine had mold flashing in the grooves, just needed cleaned up with a file.

Back