Body Repair Question

MajorBozo

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F250 2021 Tremor Kings Ranch Antimatter Blue
All,

So I have less than 5K on my 2021 6.7 Diesel F250 Antimatter Blue. Some lovely person somehow ran into it in a parking lot. Left no note. It managed to puncture the right rear
IMG_2896 (1).JPG
IMG_2897 (1).JPG
bed quarter panel above the wheel. See pics. I have taken to 3 Auto body shops for quotes.

1) Gerber AutoBody (suggested by State Farm) says cut the quarter panel off and replace with factory provided new one. They say they can paint match. Wheel well molding is scuffed. They will re-melt and form and paint. $2K
2) Fairway Ford the AutoBody (The dealer I ordered from). Says don't cut panel off. This will mess with factory rivets that will need replacing. They will aluminum weld to fix puncture. Then add filler to smooth out and get shape correct. Obviously they have access to factory paint. $1.8 K
3) Other shop (State Farm suggested) weld route also. I didn't like the looks of the shop $1k

Looking for opinions/suggestions on route to to take.

BTW last time I go to Hans and Franz for dinner. My first thought was someone took and old time can opener to it in order to vandalize.

All,

So I have less than 5K on my 2021 6.7 Diesel F250 Antimatter Blue. Some lovely person somehow ran into it in a parking lot. Left no note. It managed to puncture the right rear View attachment 32947View attachment 32946 bed quarter panel above the wheel. See pics. I have taken to 3 Auto body shops for quotes.

1) Gerber AutoBody (suggested by State Farm) says cut the quarter panel off and replace with factory provided new one. They say they can paint match. Wheel well molding is scuffed. They will re-melt and form and paint. $2K
2) Fairway Ford the AutoBody (The dealer I ordered from). Says don't cut panel off. This will mess with factory rivets that will need replacing. They will aluminum weld to fix puncture. Then add filler to smooth out and get shape correct. Obviously they have access to factory paint. $1.8 K
3) Other shop (State Farm suggested) weld route also. I didn't like the looks of the shop $1k

BTW last time I go to Hans and Franz for dinner. My first thought was someone took and old time can opener to it in order to vandalize.
😡 some people. Any cameras?

I would go with option 2 to minimize welding on the aluminum. Welding will anneal the material but a small patch should be ok.

All,

So I have less than 5K on my 2021 6.7 Diesel F250 Antimatter Blue. Some lovely person somehow ran into it in a parking lot. Left no note. It managed to puncture the right rear View attachment 32947View attachment 32946 bed quarter panel above the wheel. See pics. I have taken to 3 Auto body shops for quotes.

When I seen the pic all I could think of is one of those old school cans of juice you had to use a can opener to make a hole. Go with the weld. A new side will never be just where the old one was dimensionally. If your OCD like me it will bug the shit out of you when your in bed trying to sleep.

I’d do the weld. I’d be so damn pissed I could probably weld it with my eyes.

I believe a car fax “damage” report is only generated if an accident report is filed. I don’t think insurance companies contact car fax. I could be wrong though
It’s filed as soon as you use your insurance. at least that’s what I was told. I believe Carfax uses the insurance database to look at records as well

It’s filed as soon as you use your insurance. at least that’s what I was told. I believe Carfax uses the insurance database to look at records as well

Incorrect. Once upon a time I was a Source Data Analyst for Carfax. Insurance companies do not share data with Carfax because it opens them up to liability for diminished value claims. If you know the report will devalue the car you just paid a claim on, why help that process along by providing the data to Carfax, only to have it bite you in the ass?

Carfax gets accident information primarily from public sources, which are police reports. Sneakier ways they get data is from tools body shops use. When a car is put on to a certain vendor's frame machine, its VIN is input to check measurements against a reference. If those measurements are out-of-spec, the machine flags the VIN and reports it to Carfax. That triggers the 'Frame Damage' flag.

I presume the fate of anyone working inside an insurance company who suggests data be offered to Carfax is execution by public hanging.

Incorrect. Once upon a time I was a Source Data Analyst for Carfax. Insurance companies do not share data with Carfax because it opens them up to liability for diminished value claims. If you know the report will devalue the car you just paid a claim on, why help that process along by providing the data to Carfax, only to have it bite you in the ass?

Carfax gets accident information primarily from public sources, which are police reports. Sneakier ways they get data is from tools body shops use. When a car is put on to a certain vendor's frame machine, its VIN is input to check measurements against a reference. If those measurements are out-of-spec, the machine flags the VIN and reports it to Carfax. That triggers the 'Frame Damage' flag.

I presume the fate of anyone working inside an insurance company who suggests data be offered to Carfax is execution by public hanging.
That’s what I thought. I’m going to let my wife know that I was right. Hahaha.

That's a heck of a door ding. File a police report if you are having insurance fix it.
That's a hit and run, and whomever did it should be prosecuted

I dare say, it could be from a shopping cart or a kid on a bicycle. Maybe a brake lever stabbed into the side as the kid proceeded to crash into the tire.
I don’t see another vehicle causing that damage.

i wouldn't replace the bed side. i had one replaced on my 17 and if the shop had the capability to weld it they would just do that. the factory bed is spot welded so to replace the side they drill it all out but when it goes back together some shops rivet or just self tapper it back together I've seen that more then a few times. thats 30 seconds of a weld to close that up then a bit of filler and you're good, shit happens. i had a lot boy from a dealership down the street come flying at about 70 looking down at the radio and hit my parked truck so hard it had 14 feet of skid marks from my truck sliding, my hitch was so solid it tore the motor and trans out of the suv and it ended up sitting on em propped up. was a 6k repair to my truck, bedside, tailgate, left side bumper

All,

That is the downside of our aluminum bodies. Some let a shopping cart roll into my wife's F150 door a couple years ago, = $1k just to repair the dent! But I think I'd go with the weld-repair, rather than cut & replace.

Everybody,
Thanks for the input. I will go with the spot weld option.

I did put a claim in to the insurance. Did not file police report. Insurance said it moves from comprehensive to uninsured motorist if you file police report. Granted I would like to hang a felony H and R on the bastard who did it (provided the cops find the twit). However, it would only save me $50 out of pocket. Plus I think I will avoid the collison record on the truck.

The dealer body shop agrees with you all's take on cutting the quarter panel off. They would have to replace the factory robot rivets and I would see the new rivets once they were done. A whole lot differnt than brand new.

Work is scheduled for October 4. Will take 7 days. I wll post pics of final product.

BTW I am sure it was hit by another vehicle We found scuff marks on the wheel well bumpers also, which they will fix. I will also have them redo the ceramic clear coat on that section. Plus that would have been one tall bike to hit that high. Probably was another truck.

Pray that I get a talented welder to repair it.

Cheers,

Major B

Back