Blown 7.3L Godzilla Motor

You guys didn't notice that it was owned by Forrest Gump?

edit:
Yikes, Toolman, please don't visit me! Best of luck!

Yup - i'm a little surprised. Don't have the "what happened" details yet, but the service advisor had just finished talking to his mechanic, and the mec said "low compression in 3 cylinders, all kinds of metal in the oil". Really surprised how a new engine , built by the factory techs, can still grenade this fast. Remember, babied this break-in drive period more than the handling of my first new born kid.

It is not like these mass produced engines are blue printed compared to say a race engine or hot street engine. Engines built today certainly are better than what they used to be for reliability, but anything can have problems. Some people would say 99.9% is pretty good reliability, but for mass production that would mean out of 1 million parts produced, 1,000 pieces will fail.

Don't dissagree one bit. I think the irony for me (actually us if you count my wifes expedition), is two blown motors within
3 months of each other. Just bad luck. But, own cars long enough, and we all know trannys, gear boxes, etc can fail as soon as they leave the line. I am just surprised this happened, , twice.

Very sorry to hear this and hope it's resolved in timely manner.

I might hold the record for blown transmissions, went through (4) in three years until I finally sold that truck.....it was not a Ford.

Oh ! And also had a tree fall on it. Lol
jpeg-imag1.jpg

Last edited:
maybe a rocker arm or lifter lost pressure hopefully it's nothing major
Now the lost lifter pressure issue I've heard once before on the 7.3l. But over the years, I have seen that happen a fair amount even on expensive aftermarket performance lifters. (Once, it was multiples on the same Mopar 440 engine)

Very sorry to hear this and hope it's resolved in timely manner.

I might hold the record for blown transmissions, went through (4) in three years until I finally sold that truck.....it was not a Ford.

Oh ! And also had a tree fall on it. LolView attachment 18516
5 in three years. In a Ford. '92 Bronco. At least the first two were under warranty...
I have refused to give Ford any of my money since... until now.

Back