Blown 7.3L Godzilla Motor

Wirelessguy

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 7.3 Lariat Tremor Lithium Gray
While waiting impatiently for my new truck I’ve been watching every YouTube video I can find on the Tremor and came across this video.
Might already be posted but if not here you go.
I sure hope it was just a isolated issue, I’d rather not replace the motor in a brand new truck.

Pachmayr

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 Tremor, 6.7L
it's a "solid" sound, like a rod knock, or something.
I'm sure this is an isolated case. One, we never know what might've happened, beforehand, that lead-up to this event.
Two, it's machinery, and every now & then, bad things are bound to happen.

I sincerely hope this guy gets his issue resolved quickly & completely
Its likely companies will pick up on this guy's misfortune and sell a lot of snake oil additives, claiming, '"this would not have happened if he would've used BS ?Brand Additive" ?

Pompey

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Ranger PX2 3.2TD
Current Ride #2
1999 Subaru WRX Club Spec Evo 3
That’s something that would be incredibly disappointing. However, sometimes shit happens and that’s why you have warranties. I would be a lot more concerned if it was a common failure and/or nothing was being done to fix it by Ford under warranty.

It doesn’t take much for something like this to happen. One flaw in the manufacturing process and it could happen to any of us. That’s a different matter from a design flaw. Some of the comments on the you tube site show a fair degree of ignorance.

TexanTremor

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F-350 Lariat Ultimate Tremor 7.3 - Rapid Red
Why does the tach in the video red line around 5.6? Other pics from members show a 6k redline on the 7.3.

Junior2020

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Military
N/a
Current Ride
2020 Ford Tremor F-250
First Responder
N/a
sounds like a valve slap...bet he sucked out a retainer...

JC_Tremor

Toasty
Reaction Points
Military
USN
Current Ride
Focus ST
Aww...where's the blower? Seen the video...I don't see why they don't turn the damn thing off before totaling the engine, something seemed off about it all.

RaptorTremor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Lariat Sport Tremor 6.7 Velocity Blue
Current Ride #2
2014 Raptor SVT Blue Flame
Seems like definitely a valvetrain issue here.

OP
Wirelessguy

Wirelessguy

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 7.3 Lariat Tremor Lithium Gray
I really thought when I read the title it was gonna be a new 7.3 with a Whipple SuperCharger on it....
Sorry about that I should have changed the title, I actually thought the same thing, and is why I clicked on the video in the first place.

Bull

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 Tremor Lariat 6.7
agree with those tat posted valve train and not connecting rod - the sound is too high pitched - a rod would sound like a hammer slapping the block and would not survive the revving displayed on this vid - broken rods rupture through the block.

RaptorTremor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
agree with those tat posted valve train and not connecting rod - the sound is too high pitched - a rod would sound like a hammer slapping the block and would not survive the revving displayed on this vid - broken rods rupture through the block.
Also the sound of the tapping sounds about half the speed of the crank. Possibly broken pushrod? Stuck lifter?

Trämör

7.3L > 6.7L
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
BMW M4 Competition Convertible
Also the sound of the tapping sounds about half the speed of the crank. Possibly broken pushrod? Stuck lifter?
I love the investigative nature of folks on this forum. The balls you need to have to determine the cause of the issue from the sound of a phone-recorded youtube video, it is truly remarkable.
No hard feelings @RaptorTremor please carry on!

RaptorTremor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
I love the investigative nature of folks on this forum. The balls you need to have to determine the cause of the issue from the sound of a phone-recorded youtube video, it is truly remarkable.
No hard feelings @RaptorTremor please carry on!
Hey man just putting in my thoughts. I've blown a few motors in my days. Not saying what it is but what may be possible.

Duke

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2013 ford raptor
maybe a rocker arm or lifter lost pressure hopefully it's nothing major

Trämör

7.3L > 6.7L
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
BMW M4 Competition Convertible
Hey man just putting in my thoughts. I've blown a few motors in my days. Not saying what it is but what may be possible.
Haha I’m just messing with you! All good! If it were for me, I’d trust your sound judgement (pun intended)...

BigJack601

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F-250 Lariat Ultimate Tremor 7.3 Godzilla
Current Ride #2
2020 Kubota MX5800
First Responder
Retired Law Enforcement
I’m guessing it’s because he’s a pheasant!???

toolman

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 f-250 TREMMOR 7.3
While waiting impatiently for my new truck I’ve been watching every YouTube video I can find on the Tremor and came across this video.
Might already be posted but if not here you go.
I sure hope it was just a isolated issue, I’d rather not replace the motor in a brand new truck.

Back in November 2020, took possesion of my ordered 2021 f-250 tremmor w/ the 7.3 Pretty much all options, and boy what an upgrade over my 2014 f-250 6.7. Drove it 950 miles, and on the way home from the office last night, seriours surges, flashing check engine light, and loads of motor noise. Limped to dealer, just got the dreaded text from the service advisor i've known for 15 years - engine blew. Field rep for ford is on the way there, and he will advise direction they will take for a new motor. Unreal. Want some irony? Ok - same dealer put a new engine in our two year old ford expedition because it blew too. Lottery ticket winners have better odds than i am having with cars.

Ford Tremor Supporting Member Badge