Blackout of automatic running board?

F

FT_Guest3342

I got my truck today. Wahoo. Velocity Blue Lariet Blackout package. So, no chrome anywhere. NICE. Except the outer edge of the running board. See photo.

Can anyone give advice on the best long term method to paint/cover the chrome strip and make it black. I was thinking of a little scotchbright followed by some self etching primer and finished with a rattle can of polyurethane bed liner. What say you?

IMG_1351.JPG

How about getting it vinyl wrapped? I believe the chrome piece comes off so a shop can take it off and wrap it and put it back on.

throw a little black rubberized paint coating on it used for wheel wells! Should hold up good to rocks n such. I've used it many times under vehicles and it holds up well.

How about getting it vinyl wrapped? I believe the chrome piece comes off so a shop can take it off and wrap it and put it back on.
That is a good idea. I haven't looked to see how it is constructed. I just assumed that the whole thing is an aluminum extrusion with two end caps and some rough stuff on the stepping surface. I will have to dig into it tomorrow to see if the chromed portion can be removed.

Thanks.

I had my chrome tailgate handle wrapped in Matte Black vinyl to match the plastic around it. Others have had the chrome on their power running boards wrapped. A good vinyl shop can do it on your truck without removing anything.

Tremor-Tailgate-Handle.jpeg

Last edited:
If you do some searching you will find a few posts including from me on how to just remove it. In a nutshell you take off the end caps and it is double side tap holding it on. Took me maybe 30 minutes and was done with it for good.

There is a guy who posted thread "She's Home After 4 Months" that attached a picture of his power running board
blacked out with vinyl wrap. I plan to do this with mine.

Thanks for everyone's help. I removed the chrome strip and now it looks 1000% better.

Does it look like something is missing? Can you post a close up picture?

Last edited:
I got my truck today. Wahoo. Velocity Blue Lariet Blackout package. So, no chrome anywhere. NICE. Except the outer edge of the running board. See photo.

Can anyone give advice on the best long term method to paint/cover the chrome strip and make it black. I was thinking of a little scotchbright followed by some self etching primer and finished with a rattle can of polyurethane bed liner. What say you?

View attachment 22278
20210414_141825.jpg

Black vinyl wrap. Beautiful truck and congrats!

Latest Discussions

Back