Bicycle and Kayak Mounting Question

Hmayasi

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 KR Tremor
Hello all. I tried searching this forum and the inter webs for a solution but couldn’t find what I’m looking for. I come from a Tundra to my new and awesome Tremor. In the Tundra, the bed had a rail system with cleats. I was able to use it to add bicycle mounts for when we go cycling or camping.
so the issue I am having now is that I recently installed a Bak Revolver X4 and I am not sure what options I have for bicycle mounts. Additionally, I would the ability to have a rack from time to time to transport kayaks as well. Since clamping against the side of the bed is no longer an option, I was hoping to find something that on top of the bed sides and used the stale pockets.
I guess I’m looking for inspiration and possibly solutions that others have come up with.
Thank you.

Maybe someone else will chime in that has the BAK. I went with the RetraxPRO XR for some of the very same reasons you listed. I have the Yakima OverHaul HD rack system for bikes, kayaks, etc.... The rails on the Retrax make it very easy to use the Yakima rack system. I do not keep the rack on all of the time since it is so easy to put on and take off. Good Luck!

I can’t speak for mounting a kayak, but I always mount my bicycle from the left. Perhaps it’s a habit from mounting my motorcycles or a horse.

This might not be something you would want to do at all, but I'm considering it since I plan to upgrade my TT to a 5th wheel...

Front receivers:

Of course I missed the point that you might not be pulling anything at all, so you could just use the rear bumper. =)

What about the roof? Are there rails available?

Maybe someone else will chime in that has the BAK. I went with the RetraxPRO XR for some of the very same reasons you listed. I have the Yakima OverHaul HD rack system for bikes, kayaks, etc.... The rails on the Retrax make it very easy to use the Yakima rack system. I do not keep the rack on all of the time since it is so easy to put on and take off. Good Luck!
Originally had the revolver on my F150, went to the retraxpro XR and overhaul HD rack also for my RTT. My tremor will get a new retrax pro and I'll reuse my rack when needed.

My RTT rests on a harbor freight rolling scaffolding with the rack when not in use. Makes it so I never have to lift it, hopefully it'll reach on the Tremor.

Of course I missed the point that you might not be pulling anything at all, so you could just use the rear bumper. =)
Lol. You're right, I never mentioned this. I am pulling a bumper pull TT.

I love my Recon bike rack for bikes, not compatible itowing though and best for only MTB bikes.

6B2F342B-BF32-49A6-8DB6-EE7DC106FE2F.jpeg

I used to work for a kayak manufacturer (Necky/Ocean Kayak) and found with the thousands of boats I’ve loaded on cars and trucks that a Yakima or Thule rack on the roof of the truck spread as far apart as possible worked the best. Clips just clip inside the door.

I did see that one after I made this purchase. If there is a rail system that I can mount next the BAK ones, that would work for me. Essentially making it similar to what you have.

I can’t speak for mounting a kayak, but I always mount my bicycle from the left. Perhaps it’s a habit from mounting my motorcycles or a horse.
Lol.

I love my Recon bike rack for bikes, not compatible itowing though and best for only MTB bikes.

View attachment 14621
I used to work for a kayak manufacturer (Necky/Ocean Kayak) and found with the thousands of boats I’ve loaded on cars and trucks that a Yakima or Thule rack on the roof of the truck spread as far apart as possible worked the best. Clips just clip inside the door.
So in this case it would on top of the cab rather than the bed. Might be an option, not sure if will be too tall to deal with loading and unloading.

You know what bugs me is that there is the BoxLink system that the fords have, but I can't find any accessories that can use this mounting location. A bicycle mount there would be great.

Lol. You're right, I never mentioned this. I am pulling a bumper pull TT.
Oh good, then I don't feel quite as foolish. The original idea of a front hitch could still work for you! It's kinda Beverly Hillbilly-ish, but sometimes you just gotta get the job done.

There are also bike hitches that go on the trailer's tongue, above the propane bottles.

There are also bike hitches that go on the trailer's tongue, above the propane bottles.
Yeah, considering those as well. But I would like to have something for when we aren't taking the trailer also.

Really? My tanks are almost 5' off the ground!
I'm about to buy a Kuat to put on the hitch on the back of our trailer.
If I don't have the trailer it will also work on the Tremor.
(I'm still assuming that I'm getting one)

Last edited:
I’m looking at going with this as I can mount my bikes on the outside of the rack, the kayaks on top and still have my bed free to haul what ever else we need.

You know what bugs me is that there is the BoxLink system that the fords have, but I can't find any accessories that can use this mounting location. A bicycle mount there would be great.
I feel like someone on the forum posted a pic of installing an E-track attachment where the BoxLink goes. Makes me wonder if there's a bike mount that can attach to E-track? If so, you could go that route? Just a thought...maybe someone knows which thread this was on..

Ditto. The RetraxPro XR fits the bill.

Back