Best tire size without to much poke out

I did a little googling and found nothing on the subject, still the laws of physics tell me I want to stay near a neutral or slightly positive offset to keep within optimal stresses on the wheels, of course this is all dependent on how much/what you haul etc.
I can’t imagine how offset would change the stresses on the wheels/tires unless it’s causing a material change in camber. What law of physics are you thinking about here?

A huge number of truck owners modify their offset so if there was evidence of a relationship between these numbers I imagine we’d be hearing about it.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine how offset would change the stresses on the wheels/tires unless it’s causing a material change in camber. What law of physics are you thinking about here?

And a huge number of truck owners modify their offset so if there was evidence of a relationship between these numbers I imagine we’d be hearing about it.
A basic loading diagram shows that the load from the truck is imparted to the bearing surface with the wheel, and that load is then transmitted downward through the wheel and tires at the centerline of the wheel. The difference between centerline of the wheel and the point of transmitted load creates a lever arm between the two points, so the There is no doubt that the amount of offset increases the internal stresses of a wheel, and obviously the design of the wheel has to account for that offset. It may be that these stresses are minor when looking at the abilities of steel (55 ksi) or aluminum (30 ksi) wheels at this level, and hence not a major concern. That being said, I will be looking closely at the load ratings of my wheels., more so depending on the amount of (negative) offset.

A basic loading diagram shows that the load from the truck is imparted to the bearing surface with the wheel, and that load is then transmitted downward through the wheel and tires at the centerline of the wheel. The difference between centerline of the wheel and the point of transmitted load creates a lever arm between the two points, so the There is no doubt that the amount of offset increases the internal stresses of a wheel, and obviously the design of the wheel has to account for that offset. It may be that these stresses are minor when looking at the abilities of steel (55 ksi) or aluminum (30 ksi) wheels at this level, and hence not a major concern. That being said, I will be looking closely at the load ratings of my wheels., more so depending on the amount of (negative) offset.

Got it, so you’re just pointing out that wheels have different weight ratings depending on their offset?

Definitely wise to pay close attention to the wheel load rating, as these can sometimes be less than the tires, which are more typically the weak link.

Got it, so you’re just pointing out that wheels have different weight ratings depending on their offset?

Definitely wise to pay close attention to the wheel load rating, as these can sometimes be less than the tires, which are more typically the weak link.
I was just talking about the different maximum weight capacity between tire brands and wheel brands. Just wanted to make sure what ever aftermarket wheels and tire he choose would be capable or exceed the stock ones. The offset / weight discussion is another subject. The axles on our Tremors are full floating so I think its a moot point.

Interesting thing I heard on the Overland Journal Podcast is, if you ever drive on the unpaved shoulder of the road (either by accident or intentional), where presumably rolling resistance is higher, negative offset wheels will inherently pull your vehicle further off the road whereas positive offset wheels will pull you back onto the road.

Thinking it through, this makes sense. Since a positive offset wheel has a greater portion of the wheel/tire inside the center-line of the wheel, the wheel will face more force on the inside causing it to try and turn towards the inside, away from the shoulder. Vice versa for negative offset.

I doubt the amount of force is meaningful, particularly given the size/weight of heavy duty trucks and their steering components, unless you have a truly massive amount of negative offset. But still interesting!

Back