BD LP6s mounted to SDHQ A-Pillar mounts - looks amazing

Cybermig

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor XLT
I just got done mounting some @Baja Designs LP6's to our shop Tremor @AshevilleVehicleOutfitters. I think these are the best looking ditch mount lights for full size trucks as they're just the right size and the looks and function can't be beat. The lights are mounted to the SDHQ A-Pillar mounts for 2017+ Super Duty's and the mounts themselves are perfect and great looking. The install of the mounts are quite a PITA when doing them for the first time and took me about 2 hrs since it requires removal of the wipers, upper driver/passenger side cowl and removal of 2 bolts on either side. Once the mount is in place, you learn how over engineered these mounts are and no matter what you mount on them, they're going nowhere and are super secure. They're certainly a tight fit but when properly aligned, they clear the hood and fenders. Super happy with how these came out and plan to use them this week while at the Nemo Tunnel in Eastern TN. Some pics of the install progression are below.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 2,593
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 434
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 433
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 453
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 476
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 537
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 520
Very Nice, I really like those mounts and thinking of picking up a set myself. On the LP6, any concern with the small LEDs on the side shinning right into the cab?

I’m hoping the IPT portion of these lights won’t shine in to the cab... I’ll know soon enough once I get the lights wired in hopefully before the weekend.

Those are the best looking mounts I've seen on anything bar none. Very clean install.

Can you post some pics from a little further away so we can get a better idea of how the whole setup looks?

Turned out great! The LP series does shine a 200 degree spread with the IPTs. But some guys will use a 3M vinyl wrap for the inside IPTs so the light doesn't shine in the cab.

Cybermig, those look amazing. Any chance you’d be willing to post a couple of photos showing the entire front end with the lights?

I installed those mounts on my truck to but with some xl80 pros. I love them!

Attachments

• IMG_20200807_142433_481.jpg
    IMG_20200807_142433_481.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_20200807_142223_244.jpg
    IMG_20200807_142223_244.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 313
I got around to wiring up the lights this evening and I'm really happy how it came out. I wired up the 3 functions of the lights (Amber, Lo, Hi) to 3 upfitter switches. I could have gone with just two upfitter switches and just wired the amber lights to a headlight signal however that would have added more time to the install since you have to remove the front cowl, grille, and lights just to get to the wiring of the headlights. We were able to hide the wiring very well and make it look completely clean and OEM like. We took portions of the wiring loom and made our own custom setup to work with the upfitter switches and because we don't need the excess wiring offered in the BD wiring loom, we shaved about 60% of unused wiring/relay and switch.

The inside IPT lights certainly shine in to the cab so I threw in some painters tape for now to cover the inside lights which helps a lot. This weekend I'll apply some black gloss 3M Vinyl wrap just on the inside pieces to clean that up.

A good portion of the wiring itself was able to be well hidden under the windshield wiper cowl, unless you know the wires are there, its easy to miss which was the stealthy install we were going for. Having the upfitter harness being right next to the passenger side battery really helped us to have small amount of wiring under the hood which kept down on the clutter. All in all I'm happy how it turned out.

I'm convinced now the LP6's are the perfect size light to fit on these larger trucks. I'm of the opinion that the LP9's would be just a tad too large and frankly overkill as pillar mounted lights, the LP4s i thought were just a tad too small but the 6's are right in the middle. And the Amber function just looks killer IMO with all the rest of the amber lights the truck puts off. These lights give off tons of usable light and I'm excited to use them this weekend in the pitch black Nemo Tunnel.

Here's some pictures of the wiring install.

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 236
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 219
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 204
  • image3 (1).jpeg
    image3 (1).jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 195
  • image5 (1).jpeg
    image5 (1).jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 199
  • image4 (1).jpeg
    image4 (1).jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 194
  • image6 (1).jpeg
    image6 (1).jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 209
  • image7 (1).jpeg
    image7 (1).jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 220
  • image9 (1).jpeg
    image9 (1).jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 228
  • image8 (1).jpeg
    image8 (1).jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 262
  • image15.jpeg
    image15.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 323
  • image11.jpeg
    image11.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 322
  • image10.jpeg
    image10.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 300
Here's some before and after lighting tests... first pic just headlights (aftermarket LED builds in place of the factory halogens).... 2nd pic lo beam.... 3rd pic high beam. I've got some light alignment to do. I'm impressed just how much the lo-beam floods offer..... then the hi's throw out a ton of light far out in front as a spot beam.

Attachments

• image12.jpeg
    image12.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 201
  • image13.jpeg
    image13.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 201
  • image14.jpeg
    image14.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 201
Looks great!!!

Do you get any light reflection off the hood? I'm looking at these and leaning towards a spotlight as opposed to a floodlight to avoid it hitting the hood. The LP6s look more spot than a flood (at least in the high beam mode). Also, what do you use amber for? Just aesthetics or is it usable light?

No light reflection off the hood, not anything that bothers me anyways. The LP6s/LP9s are two stage lights so they offer spot and flood capabilities in one light. The ambers are really just aesthetic.... but they look great at night and match the side markers on the side mirrors really well.

That looks great, and has me wanting to go this route instead of an eternal wait for the weakly hinted at KC M-rack for trucks with clearance lights (they told me that they were or would be working on it, and added my name to a list).

So, on the upfitter switches, are you just planning on ensuring that you don't toggle both low and high at the same time? Or is there a way to ensure both aren't powered simultaneously? Their literature states that it could damage the circuit board if both are powered. I'd love to have uses for the upfitter switches, and avoid installing a switch elsewhere, but I'm wondering if there's a way to mimic a SPDT using multiple SPST.

Yeah, you can't spell geek without double E (that's an oldie but a goodie to us ME's) - But right now I wish I could geek out and know this kind of circuit stuff off the top of my head.

Thanks!

those are bright! gotta love that" Velocity Blue Tremor !!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

That looks great, and has me wanting to go this route instead of an eternal wait for the weakly hinted at KC M-rack for trucks with clearance lights (they told me that they were or would be working on it, and added my name to a list).

So, on the upfitter switches, are you just planning on ensuring that you don't toggle both low and high at the same time? Or is there a way to ensure both aren't powered simultaneously? Their literature states that it could damage the circuit board if both are powered. I'd love to have uses for the upfitter switches, and avoid installing a switch elsewhere, but I'm wondering if there's a way to mimic a SPDT using multiple SPST.

Yeah, you can't spell geek without double E (that's an oldie but a goodie to us ME's) - But right now I wish I could geek out and know this kind of circuit stuff off the top of my head.

Thanks!
That’s correct, I simply toggle the hi or the lo switches, but not both since the upfitters are simple on/off switches. I don’t believe the upfitter wiring harness can be modified to mimic the BD SPDT setup. Because I wired the amber backlight to an upfitter switch I can toggle that on-demand as well. I like the flexibility of controlling it rather than simply depending on a signal from the headlight.

Back