Battery acid leak

MPark

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2016 F 150
Current Ride #2
Magnetic f350 XLT 7.3 on order
I took my 2020 7.3 in to take care of the front camera recall and to get it's 1st oil change at 5300 miles. I make it a habit to notch the oil filter just to ensure that it gets changes. While looking over the engine compartment I noticed that the driver side battery had acid build up along the right side of the bracket( the terminals were both clean). I made a note of it and talked to the service advisor who said he'd have it looked at.

In the end they replaced the battery and the bracket no questions asked.

Maybe it was that one in 1000 defected battery, just thought I'd give you all the heads up so that you can look at yours.

I'm just bumping for an update. I noticed a bit of battery acid build-up on my drivers battery as well with a bit of corrosion on the hold down. Have you had any problems since?

I’ve had the exact same thing happen on my 2019 XLT 6.7. I took the bracket off and cleaned it with water and baking soda. It happened again a year later so I did the same thing and it still looks good. What I find strange is the passenge side battery is perfect. It’s soon going to be the dealers problem because the Ford tracker is saying my new Tremor will arrive at the dealership on January 7th.

Thinking of starting a class action lawsuit because of both batteries leaking. My ‘17 SD corroded so much it corroded the cable end. The cable had to be replaced. The fender and battery hold down were corroded also. My 2022 with 9,000 miles is doing the same thing. These trucks need AGM sealed batteries. I maintain my truck regularly and this is a daily chore to stop the corrosion. I think many owners don’t realize until it’s too late. Photo is my buddies Tremor with 30k mikes. He didn’t realize. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 8AB575CD-900D-40B9-BE6A-805E87CB23A8.jpeg
    8AB575CD-900D-40B9-BE6A-805E87CB23A8.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 181
Thinking of starting a class action lawsuit because of both batteries leaking. My ‘17 SD corroded so much it corroded the cable end. The cable had to be replaced. The fender and battery hold down were corroded also. My 2022 with 9,000 miles is doing the same thing. These trucks need AGM sealed batteries. I maintain my truck regularly and this is a daily chore to stop the corrosion. I think many owners don’t realize until it’s too late. Photo is my buddies Tremor with 30k mikes. He didn’t realize. Thoughts?

It is something that all new owners should be aware of. The batteries are crap, plan to replace them early, unless you like to constantly clean them. Anyone who ever looks under the hood will see it and can address it before it gets bad. Instead of dealing with cleaning, or having Ford clean or replace under warranty, I swapped mine with AGM at first sight of corrosion on the passenger side hold down. Looks like 2023 will come with AGM.

Last edited:
It is something that all new owners should be aware of. The batteries are crap, plan to replace them early, unless you like to constantly clean them. Anyone who ever looks under the hood will see it and can address it before it gets bad. Instead of dealing with cleaning, or having Ford clean or replace under warranty, I swapped mine with AGM at first sight of corrosion on the passenger side hold down. Looks like 2023 will come with AGM.
Ridiculous for a 90k plus truck. I just picked it up from the dealer after they cleaned the top of the batteryand put anti corrosion on the terminals and thus what it looked like.

Attachments

• B820F715-D14C-4B51-AD69-7F85BA8427AD.jpeg
    B820F715-D14C-4B51-AD69-7F85BA8427AD.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 151
Sorry for the spelling errors I was at a red light.

Replaced mine at 3 months. Already leaking.

I had my battery and braket replaced a few months after taking delivery. I just checked it again and it seem pretty bad again.

Is there any solution without having to replace the batteries for a different brand?
20230319_083608.jpg

I had my battery and braket replaced a few months after taking delivery. I just checked it again and it seem pretty bad again.

Is there any solution without having to replace the batteries for a different brand?View attachment 115691
I’m using CRC battery cleaner and terminal protector every oil change (starting with my last oil change) after I noticed some seepage. I can’t say if it will work or not, but I have pretty high confidence.

Here’s a video from CRC on how to use both products. Honestly pretty easy.

Is there any solution without having to replace the batteries for a different brand?View attachment 115691
Best to change the batteries before it wicks up the terminal and cable.

I’m considering changing to AMG batteries as well.

Question: is it required or highly recommended to make the battery type change in Forscan? What might happen if you don’t?

Attachments

• 5C6BD8AA-1232-424A-9BC7-4FBCD37FB499.png
    5C6BD8AA-1232-424A-9BC7-4FBCD37FB499.png
    421.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: ccw
This afternoon I replaced both “junk” OEM leaking cheap batteries and purchased and installed two of these Duracells. Both new AGMs manufacture dates are 12/22. The Duracells have a non prorated 48 month full replacement warranty. Done -$460.06 OTD. - Done!

4E30875E-1D8B-4D18-AD7C-BF8ADA36B69D.jpeg
B27C412C-4C5E-44E3-AA4B-936C6BB07D2E.jpeg
9BA69ADB-2393-44EC-82BE-F877F6CD52FD.jpeg

Motorcraft have had such a bad history with the posts venting/cracking causing this issue. 2 sets (cause 48 months comes quick) AGMs on my 2015 over the last ten years. NO issues.

But do you have to change in Forscan for us technologically challenged?
No changes in Forscan and no more maintenance or concerns with the junk OEM batteries. The new AGMs -plug’n play.
I spotted the corrosion just starting on my battery tie downs and swapped out to AGMs before the battery corrosion got nasty looking.

Last edited:
Seems as the common thoughts are to turn off the Battery Management System (BMS).
I just swapped out my stock batteries for a set of X2-Extreme AGM batteries. I then let the truck sit overnight for 10 hours for the BMS to reset to the new batteries and state of charge. I didn’t change anything in FORScan for the BMS and have been keeping an eye on the voltage. It has been consistently running at 14.5 to 14.6 volts. From what I’ve read about these AGM batteries, this is right in the range that they should be, so figured I would leave it.

Seems as the common thoughts are to turn off the Battery Management System (BMS).
With the dual batteries on the diesel I just installed one at a time. Zero issues. You will be fine. 👍🏻

Back