Banks Derringer and 5" exhaust

forcebwu19

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 6.7 Lariat Ultimate Sport
Current Ride #2
1979 VW Rabbit (Golf) diesel, 1955 Chevy Belair
Still (im)patiently waiting on my truck. But I'm starting to do some digging on mods I would like to do, pretty sure I want to get the Banks Derringer and 5" exhaust. Their site says the 5" won't fit and the Derringer doest show as available yet, so I reached out.

Screenshot_20200901-192942_Messages.jpg

Figured someone on here may have the same questions and I'd share the news to the masses.

Encouraging news for sure! However, I'm curious if anyone has experience with the Derringer and if anyone on here has tried to fit a 5" DEF back system?

Also wondering about their "ram air" diff cover. Looks pretty awesome honestly! And since the bulk of what I'll be doing is towing ~10k I think it would help extend the life of the diff.

BTW - love this forum, great people and great resource for owners of these trucks!!

Why derringer and not mbrp or borla.

The 5” exhaust will not fit unless you drop the spare tire. I added a 4” MBRP and it’s maybe half an inch from hitting the spare tire. Its so close that I covered that potion of the tire in an adhesive heat shield cloth to protect it.

The 5” exhaust will not fit unless you drop the spare tire. I added a 4” MBRP and it’s maybe half an inch from hitting the spare tire. Its so close that I covered that potion of the tire in an adhesive heat shield cloth to protect it.
Wow that blows, hoping someone comes with a good exhaust design for it

even the stock exhaust is pretty close to the spare at least on the diesel.

Was looking at the Banks as well. I’ll probably go with that one but I’m gonna relocate my spare to the bed of my truck.

playing around with some ideas of how to mount tire before I pick up something

even the stock exhaust is pretty close to the spare at least on the diesel.

Was looking at the Banks as well. I’ll probably go with that one but I’m gonna relocate my spare to the bed of my truck.

playing around with some ideas of how to mount tire before I pick up something
As long as you relocate the spare tire, then the 5” should be pretty awesome!

Why derringer and not mbrp or borla.

MBRP sells a 5" exhaust, but honestly I like the flattened tip of Banks's design better. Also, MBRP doesn't have any info on if their system fits a Tremor (I'm sure it has the same fitment issues Banks does). Borla doesn't seem to offer anything as far as I could tell with a quick search. Generally I do like Borla exhausts though....

I'm leaning toward Banks because it seems they have true R&D behind their systems vs many of the other systems offered, where they just bend pipe that fits and call it a day. A good example of that is the specific info that it doesn't fit Tremors. Maybe they had a consumer let them know it doesn't fit? I'm thinking it's just as likely if not more likely that they got their hands on one and test fit it to check, then updated their product info to reflect what they found. Show me another company offering these parts that has done that. Not saying it's not out there, but I've not seen it. Just shows their dedication to offering quality products with good follow through.

MBRP sells a 5" exhaust, but honestly I like the flattened tip of Banks's design better. Also, MBRP doesn't have any info on if their system fits a Tremor (I'm sure it has the same fitment issues Banks does). Borla doesn't seem to offer anything as far as I could tell with a quick search. Generally I do like Borla exhausts though....

I'm leaning toward Banks because it seems they have true R&D behind their systems vs many of the other systems offered, where they just bend pipe that fits and call it a day. A good example of that is the specific info that it doesn't fit Tremors. Maybe they had a consumer let them know it doesn't fit? I'm thinking it's just as likely if not more likely that they got their hands on one and test fit it to check, then updated their product info to reflect what they found. Show me another company offering these parts that has done that. Not saying it's not out there, but I've not seen it. Just shows their dedication to offering quality products with good follow through.
How does banks sound compared to Borla? And how’s its longevity

How does banks sound compared to Borla? And how’s its longevity

Honestly not sure. I've not had first hand experience with either.

All the 4” systems for 2020+ will fit a tremor without an issue. Waiting on my AFE single black tip to show up, should look so much better than the cheap factory duals.
We’ve got exhausts in stock if anyone needs a sweet deal! :cool:
www.neo-garage.com

All the 4” systems for 2020+ will fit a tremor without an issue. Waiting on my AFE single black tip to show up, should look so much better than the cheap factory duals.
We’ve got exhausts in stock if anyone needs a sweet deal! :cool:
www.neo-garage.com
I'll take you up on that offer as soon as I get mine in a few weeks. Which exhaust do you recommend in terms of sound for the tremor? Also, are only the DPF-back ones emissions compliant?

I'll take you up on that offer as soon as I get mine in a few weeks. Which exhaust do you recommend in terms of sound for the tremor? Also, are only the DPF-back ones emissions compliant?
Correct, every single DPF back only exhaust actually doesn’t fall under any emissions laws country wide, so it’s all legal and will pass any tests, it’s once you start tweaking with the DPF system when things get a little sketch.

Sound is really muted by that whole DPF system, but they all add about the same extra sound. 5” would be the best route to go for most sound, but you can’t fit a 5” on these unless you take the 35” spare out.

Back