"Badges, we need some stinking badges" 7.3

You could use a bigger ball endmill to surface the the top, bigger radius allows for a bigger step over/smaller scallop. You could also machine at a 20deg tool angle which would actually cut better leaving a better finish. After all that a quick dip in a tumbler, 30 mins or so, will generally make the surface acceptable for masking/painting or polishing using a cloth wheel and some mother's polish. I could go on about cost savings, it has been my job for the last 18 years, but it doesnt matter. They look great and if people are buying them that's all that matters.
I do appreciate your input. I have been machining this style badge for the past 18 years and made the very first domed face rectangle badge for my personal truck back in 2003. That is how Billet Badges got started was with these domed face rectangle badges. Trust me, I have tried what you have suggested as well as about a dozen or more that you have not. Whenever we took shortcuts to speed up the process with larger tools or with finishing, it did not give the customer what they wanted, a factory looking badge. Using larger tools round out the inside corners of the text and doesn't give it the crisp sharp look to each letter. (See attached using a 0.094", 0.062", and a 0.031" cutter) Even though the bottom E is smaller, it has a cleaner, sharper factory look. When we used to use larger tools, it was about half the time we currently take, but the results were not acceptable. Even then, it was a lot longer than 6 minutes. ;)

I understand that I can make the parts faster than what what we are currently doing, but it doesn't give the look that the customer wants. Whenever we tried to cut cost and time, it effects the quality and the look of the part. We strive to make a part that looks like a factory part up close and not from 30 feet away. Yes it takes longer to do that, but the results are worth it. We have a reputation that our custom one off badges take a long time to get, but the end result it is always worth the wait. I try to make parts that are as good or better then factory.

Attachments

• Different levels of maching.jpg
    Different levels of maching.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I do appreciate your input. I have been machining this style badge for the past 18 years and made the very first domed face rectangle badge for my personal truck back in 2003. That is how Billet Badges got started was with these domed face rectangle badges. Trust me, I have tried what you have suggested as well as about a dozen or more that you have not. Whenever we took shortcuts to speed up the process with larger tools or with finishing, it did not give the customer what they wanted, a factory looking badge. Using larger tools round out the inside corners of the text and doesn't give it the crisp sharp look to each letter. (See attached using a 0.094", 0.062", and a 0.031" cutter) Even though the bottom E is smaller, it has a cleaner, sharper factory look. When we used to use larger tools, it was about half the time we currently take, but the results were not acceptable. Even then, it was a lot longer than 6 minutes. ;)

I understand that I can make the parts faster than what what we are currently doing, but it doesn't give the look that the customer wants. Whenever we tried to cut cost and time, it effects the quality and the look of the part. We strive to make a part that looks like a factory part up close and not from 30 feet away. Yes it takes longer to do that, but the results are worth it. We have a reputation that our custom one off badges take a long time to get, but the end result it is always worth the wait. I try to make parts that are as good or better then factory.
Hey the badges look great, I'm not saying otherwise. It's funny actually, your shop is only 20 mins from my house. You obviously have the expertise making these and they look great. Keep doing what you're doing.

Here are the 3 different rectangle Godzilla badge designs that we have done. The GODZILLA only badge measures 1.5" X 8". Shown in brushed carbon black with milled unpainted text. It could be a polished badge with black text if you wanted it to look more like the Power Stroke badge. The 7.3L GODZILLA badges measure 1.5" X 10.75".
What would be the cost for 2 of the bottom one and 1 of the middle ones?

Keep doing your thing @Billet Badges. Amazon and eBay still exist for cheap crap, for those looking for cheap crap.

I'm reminded of the tenet - cheap, fast, or good - choose just two. Applicable to my field as well, although my work is delivered by PDF these days.

Keep doing your thing @Billet Badges. Amazon and eBay still exist for cheap crap, for those looking for cheap crap.

I'm reminded of the tenet - cheap, fast, or good - choose just two. Applicable to my field as well, although my work is delivered by PDF these days.
That reminds me of this MEME.

Attachments

• CHEAPER.jpg
    CHEAPER.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 90
I just cut 8 more sets over the weekend. They will be added to the store later today.
I was going to submit an order, and have a question. I have a King Ranch Tremor with the Blue Jean main color and the Stone Grey 2 tone. I was wanting to get the raised section in the Blue Jean with the 7.3 Godzilla in the Stone Grey. Is that something you could do? I am thinking that would blend in very well. Let me know if that is an option, and what I would need to do.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 20200924_144507.jpg
    20200924_144507.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 101
I was going to submit an order, and have a question. I have a King Ranch Tremor with the Blue Jean main color and the Stone Grey 2 tone. I was wanting to get the raised section in the Blue Jean with the 7.3 Godzilla in the Stone Grey. Is that something you could do? I am thinking that would blend in very well. Let me know if that is an option, and what I would need to do.

Thanks,
We only paint recessed surfaces. We would not be able to do the paint on paint finish.

If you want to match the fender badge, do polished with black paint fill. If you want to do a color match, I would do the carbon black (because of your wheels) with the Stone Gray paint filled text. Any kind of custom paint colors will require you to submit a custom quote form.

Who remembers Shakey Pizza???

Shakey's got their start in Sacramento and I met Shakey Johnson on more than one occasion.

He used to have these signs with quotes around the joint.

One I remember said: "We have no quarrel with people who sell their pizzas for less; they know what their product is worth"....

Some wisdom there I think.

These are the 2 styles that we will be adding to our online store. If you want a different finish or color, you will need to fill out a quote form on our website.
I have a star white Platinum 7.3 ordered and would like to get a set of these badges, but my strengths are not in colors and design. What would look good and be subtle as I don't like a lot of flash, would like it to blend and look like it came from the factory. Help please.

Who remembers Shakey Pizza???

Shakey's got their start in Sacramento and I met Shakey Johnson on more than one occasion.

He used to have these signs with quotes around the joint.

One I remember said: "We have no quarrel with people who sell their pizzas for less; they know what their product is worth"....

Some wisdom there I think.
Definitely remember Shakey’s. My parents took us there in the 70’s and 80’s growing up in San Jose. Loved that place. Great pizza too!

Attachments

• F0F640FD-0F61-4C6F-B944-BAF5C099B715.jpeg
    F0F640FD-0F61-4C6F-B944-BAF5C099B715.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 9
I have a star white Platinum 7.3 ordered and would like to get a set of these badges, but my strengths are not in colors and design. What would look good and be subtle as I don't like a lot of flash, would like it to blend and look like it came from the factory. Help please.
If you want more subtle, you can have the text painted a basic white or for an extra fee, have the text painted the OEM Star White color. Polished badges with white paint fill is about as subtle as you can get.

If you are not sure what you want for the main finish, this is my rule of thumb. If you have chrome wheels, I would get polished badges. If you have black wheels, get black badges.

So if I'm understanding you right this is what you think would look the best? Or if I wanted I could have you paint the letters white? Do you have any pictures with the letters white? I really think just the way it is would look good and still be subtle. I will have the black wheels on the Tremor.
1620154258267.png

If you want more subtle, you can have the text painted a basic white or for an extra fee, have the text painted the OEM Star White color. Polished badges with white paint fill is about as subtle as you can get.

If you are not sure what you want for the main finish, this is my rule of thumb. If you have chrome wheels, I would get polished badges. If you have black wheels, get black badges.

So if I'm understanding you right this is what you think would look the best? Or if I wanted I could have you paint the letters white? Do you have any pictures with the letters white? I really think just the way it is would look good and still be subtle. I will have the black wheels on the Tremor.
View attachment 23534
It is all personal preference. If you like the milled unpainted finish, then go for it. I personally like the machined unpainted finish versus the painted finish.

Back