"Badges, we need some stinking badges" 7.3

I was just going by the specs that I read.

"7.3L utilizes an iron block featuring four-bolt main caps with cross bolts in each main, and the block is fully skirted, which adds rigidity. Bore and stroke comes in at 4.22-inches x 3.976-inches, respectively, to produce 445 cubic inches of displacement."
The cross bolts make 6 like the old Hemis from the 60s.

Here are the prices for our standard dome face rectangle badges with a brush finish and milled unpainted text. Polish or carbon black finish adds $20 per badge and paint fill adds $15 per badge.

If you would like to have totally custom text and have the badge say whatever you want, we charge $35/hour to create the custom 3D model and CNC machining program. Most of the rectangle custom programs are in the $35-$70 range. If it is a design we have done before, there would not be any custom design fee.

1.5 x 6" starting at $50/each
1.5 x 8" starting at $55/each
1.5 x 9.75" starting at $60/each
1.5 x 10.75" starting at $65/each

Most of the Super Duty door badges are the 1.5" X 9.75" or the 1.5" X 10.75" size. Our latest carbon black badge with milled unpainted text seen here, is the 1.5" X 10.75" size. They will be $85 each. They are CNC machined from solid billet aluminum, not plastic.
These are the 2 styles that we will be adding to our online store. If you want a different finish or color, you will need to fill out a quote form on our website.

Attachments

• 73l godzilla store photo.jpg
    73l godzilla store photo.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 111
I'm looking at developing some badges with a buddy of mine that's a designer. Obviously I'll let the group here know if we get anything cool put together and see if there's any interest in another badge option for these trucks.

These are the 2 styles that we will be adding to our online store. If you want a different finish or color, you will need to fill out a quote form on our website.
When are you going to add them to your store?

Got my badges from Billet Badges. They look great! Black with Carbonized gray letters and numbers. My truck has the black out package.
20210423_072505.jpg

Got my badges from Billet Badges. They look great! Black with Carbonized gray letters and numbers. My truck has the black out package. View attachment 22885
Congrats, they do look great, don't they? I had someone today tell someone else that they were factory, had to be because they looked so right. (I have the same badges) I kept my mouth shut and just smiled.

I like these a lot. What are the specs used ..Thanks
The 7.3L GODZILLA badges measure 1.5" X 10.75" and it uses standard dome face rectangle material.

Got my Billet Badges placed today. I love them. My buddy hadn't seen my truck until today and mentioned I had a 7.3L. He had no idea the badges weren't stock. ?

Attachments

• 20210429_184018.jpg
    20210429_184018.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 20210429_183951.jpg
    20210429_183951.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 20210429_184001.jpg
    20210429_184001.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 184
The billet badges look great but being a Machinist myself I can't justify the $60 price tag considering it's about $2 in material and maybe 6 mins of machine time and whatever the 3m adhesive costs. Kudos to the guys making them, they look nice.

The billet badges look great but being a Machinist myself I can't justify the $60 price tag considering it's about $2 in material and maybe 6 mins of machine time and whatever the 3m adhesive costs. Kudos to the guys making them, they look nice.
Unfortunately, I'm not a machinist. I wanted the best for my dream truck. Might be my last new truck ever so I'm going balls out! ?

6 minutes of mill time??? I wish!!! Maybe if I was hogging them out with a 0.250" end mill on flat bar stock. These badge have a domed face and are being 3D machined with a 0.031" end mill. How fast can your mill 3D machine with a 0.031" end mill?? These take me 48 minutes each to machine using a high speed spindle.

You are also forgetting the time in finishing after they are cut. They are sanded, polished, masked, recessed areas bead blasted, and painted using PPG automotive grade paint. There is easily 2 hours in finishing for each badge. The 3M VHB adhesive (not the cheap foam tape from Autozone) runs about $4 per badge. After all that, we ceramic coat the parts to protect them. We only use the best quality materials for badges. Everything we use, from the materials used, the mill, end mills, paint, adhesive, etc is all from the USA.

Last edited:
6 minutes of mill time??? I wish!!! Maybe if I was hogging them out with a 0.250" end mill on flat bar stock. These badge have a domed face and are being 3D machined with a 0.031" end mill. How fast can your mill 3D machine with a 0.031" end mill?? These take me 48 minutes each to machine using a high speed spindle.

You are also forgetting the time in finishing after they are cut. They are sanded, polished, masked, recessed areas bead blasted, and painted using PPG automotive grade paint. There is easily 2 hours in finishing for each badge. The 3M VHB adhesive (not the cheap foam tape from Autozone) runs about $4 per badge. After all that, we ceramic coat the parts to protect them. We only use the best quality materials for badges. Everything we use, from the materials used, the mill, end mills, paint, adhesive, etc is all from the USA.
You could use a bigger ball endmill to surface the the top, bigger radius allows for a bigger step over/smaller scallop. You could also machine at a 20deg tool angle which would actually cut better leaving a better finish. After all that a quick dip in a tumbler, 30 mins or so, will generally make the surface acceptable for masking/painting or polishing using a cloth wheel and some mother's polish. I could go on about cost savings, it has been my job for the last 18 years, but it doesnt matter. They look great and if people are buying them that's all that matters.

Back