Back up sensor/hitch

BBQ BOY

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2015 F150 Platinum
Does anyone else’s hitch set off the back up alarm? My Xtreme duty Bullet Proof hitch does. I have to turn the back up sensors off and then I no longer have the sensors when I need them.

Mine goes off in my F150 but I certainly don't turn them off.

Last edited:
My 2.5” Bulletproof HD (22K#) does not, but I have an old pintle hook that’s slightly longer which does. Suffice to say I won’t be using that older hitch on this truck again.

Out of curiosity I just tested with the Bulletproof pintle adapter at the top (which extends the length 3” to almost 9# from the receiver) and it still doesn’t set off the sensor. I don’t have my other hitch handy but I’d guess it appears longer as the hook is higher than the ball on the Bulletproof. Maybe safe area is one foot from the receiver?

41CE016C-4948-4333-A7F3-89F2E33B2D7E.jpeg

A difference between the Bulletproof Heavy vs. Extreme Duty is 2” in length. I’d bet that 1’ zone from the receiver is the sweet spot.

On my 17':

My 2.5" shank tri ball does not do it
My standard 1 piece pintle - 2 5/16" ball does not do it
My weight distribution hitch does set off the back up sensors.

I've often wondered if there is a set up or sensitivity setting buried somewhere to adjust this.

Ok, so mine sticks out 16”. I may need to get another BulletProof(smaller) for everyday trailers up to $8,000lbs and only use this for Heavy stuff like my tractor or other trailers. Maybe the Gen-Y, but before I do anything I am going to take the ball off and see if the alarm still sets off.

Out of curiosity I just tested with the Bulletproof pintle adapter at the top (which extends the length 3” to almost 9# from the receiver) and it still doesn’t set off the sensor. I don’t have my other hitch handy but I’d guess it appears longer as the hook is higher than the ball on the Bulletproof. Maybe safe area is one foot from the receiver?

View attachment 22036
Could you tell me what hammerlocks you are using? Thx

The heavy duty is 22000#, which is fairly close to the max config (if not somewhat beyond the true max capability) of the F250/F350. I tow some pretty beefy tractors, excavators and track loaders under that weight. Maybe downgrade to the HD and sell the extreme duty to the F550 guys unless you're often towing extreme loads.

The heavy duty is 22000#, which is fairly close to the max config (if not somewhat beyond the true max capability) of the F250/F350. I tow some pretty beefy tractors, excavators and track loaders under that weight. Maybe downgrade to the HD and sell the extreme duty to the F550 guys unless you're often towing extreme loads.
Correction: 22K# is beyond the max conventional (hitch) towing capacity of any F250/F350 (20K# limit.)

So it’d make good sense to trade the BP ED for an HD.

My testosterone got a little head of myself die Tom the excitement of owning my first diesel. LOL. Yeah, I am going to try and sell it, but not sire I will be able to

Correction: 22K# is beyond the max conventional (hitch) towing capacity of any F250/F350 (20K# limit.)

So it’d make good sense to trade the BP ED for an HD.
I have the Extreme duty 3” shank with a 4” drop on a 2020 platinum F250 with 35x 12.50 and it doesn’t set mine off. Not sure why yours is. I went with the extreme duty because that is just one less weak link I figured I would have to worry about! LOL. Seriously I think I would experiment as well as contact the Ford dealer and bulletproof to see if they have any input as to why before I sold it.

Back