Back up Camera Relocation

Jtv107

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
‘20 F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
‘20 Tacoma TRD
I plan to remove my tailgate when I haul our truck bed camper. Has anyone temporarily relocated their back up camera from the tailgate or does anyone know how to relocate the backup camera?

I've heard of it being done but seemed like a hassle to swap it back and forth so I bought a kit from camera source. It came with the mount, an OEM Ford camera and the Fakra cable. I mounted it to the back of the camper and just unplug one and plug the other in now.

This is for the 360 cameras and it does maintain the top-down view. I don't know about the other backup cameras.

Would you relocate or mount on the camper some place and just disconnect it when you remove the camper? Or you thinking bumper type location?

Been thinking about that, would prefer to mount to truck but depends on the cameras view.

Hey Jtv, curious where you ended up with this? I'm in the same boat. Need to permanently remove my tailgate for camper and am wondering what solution you ended up going with? How's it working for you? Thanks.
We purchased the following from camera source:

Items Qty Price
2017+ Super Duty w/ 360 view-Mini-Universal Trailer cam
SKU: CS-FTRSD-LP-TRL-15

The ‘good’ is the price and the flexibility of use. The ‘bad’ is the cameras image quality and the need press the ‘aux’ camera button to use it.

we left the tailgate on after much consideration but folded down so the tailgate mounted camera still does not work.

We purchased the following from camera source:

Items Qty Price
2017+ Super Duty w/ 360 view-Mini-Universal Trailer cam
SKU: CS-FTRSD-LP-TRL-15

The ‘good’ is the price and the flexibility of use. The ‘bad’ is the cameras image quality and the need press the ‘aux’ camera button to use it.

we left the tailgate on after much consideration but folded down so the tailgate mounted camera still does not work.
Thanks for the info! I'm debating the Ford "customer placed trailer camera" or a Camera Source option similar to yours. Trying to avoid another screen.

Also, out of curiosity, was there an advantage to leaving tailgate on for your camper use?

Yes; we leave the tailgate down as it acts as a stoop for our slide in camper and the integrated step in the tailgate provides perfect access to the camper.

Yes; we leave the tailgate down as it acts as a stoop for our slide in camper and the integrated step in the tailgate provides perfect access to the camper.
Ah that makes perfect sense. Convenient to have the integrated tailgate step.

Back