Back up Camera Relocation

Jtv107

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
‘20 F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
‘20 Tacoma TRD
I plan to remove my tailgate when I haul our truck bed camper. Has anyone temporarily relocated their back up camera from the tailgate or does anyone know how to relocate the backup camera?

hedge

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 Tremor KR 7.3
I've heard of it being done but seemed like a hassle to swap it back and forth so I bought a kit from camera source. It came with the mount, an OEM Ford camera and the Fakra cable. I mounted it to the back of the camper and just unplug one and plug the other in now.

This is for the 360 cameras and it does maintain the top-down view. I don't know about the other backup cameras.

hedge

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 Tremor KR 7.3
That connector looks nothing like mine, but I have the 360 cameras. I have the kit below, it was quite a bit cheaper when I got it a couple years ago. I also think you could do it yourself cheaper by buying the camera from Ford and the Fakra cables from ebay.

PapaRaptor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
6.7 F350 Tremor "Velocity" Blue Lariat Sport
Current Ride #2
7.3 "Godzilla" F350 Dually "Iconic silver" 4x4
Would you relocate or mount on the camper some place and just disconnect it when you remove the camper? Or you thinking bumper type location?

OP
Jtv107

Jtv107

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
‘20 F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
‘20 Tacoma TRD
Been thinking about that, would prefer to mount to truck but depends on the cameras view.

HubbardTramper

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Thanks, looking at this kit. Think it will work.

Hey Jtv, curious where you ended up with this? I'm in the same boat. Need to permanently remove my tailgate for camper and am wondering what solution you ended up going with? How's it working for you? Thanks.

OP
Jtv107

Jtv107

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
‘20 F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
‘20 Tacoma TRD
Hey Jtv, curious where you ended up with this? I'm in the same boat. Need to permanently remove my tailgate for camper and am wondering what solution you ended up going with? How's it working for you? Thanks.
We purchased the following from camera source:

Items Qty Price
2017+ Super Duty w/ 360 view-Mini-Universal Trailer cam
SKU: CS-FTRSD-LP-TRL-15

The ‘good’ is the price and the flexibility of use. The ‘bad’ is the cameras image quality and the need press the ‘aux’ camera button to use it.

we left the tailgate on after much consideration but folded down so the tailgate mounted camera still does not work.

HubbardTramper

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
We purchased the following from camera source:

Items Qty Price
2017+ Super Duty w/ 360 view-Mini-Universal Trailer cam
SKU: CS-FTRSD-LP-TRL-15

The ‘good’ is the price and the flexibility of use. The ‘bad’ is the cameras image quality and the need press the ‘aux’ camera button to use it.

we left the tailgate on after much consideration but folded down so the tailgate mounted camera still does not work.
Thanks for the info! I'm debating the Ford "customer placed trailer camera" or a Camera Source option similar to yours. Trying to avoid another screen.

Also, out of curiosity, was there an advantage to leaving tailgate on for your camper use?

OP
Jtv107

Jtv107

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
‘20 F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
‘20 Tacoma TRD
Yes; we leave the tailgate down as it acts as a stoop for our slide in camper and the integrated step in the tailgate provides perfect access to the camper.

HubbardTramper

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Yes; we leave the tailgate down as it acts as a stoop for our slide in camper and the integrated step in the tailgate provides perfect access to the camper.
Ah that makes perfect sense. Convenient to have the integrated tailgate step.

Ford Tremor Supporting Member Badge