B&W or Weighsafe

Fredc

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F150 sport
I have narrowed down my choices to an 3 inch, 7 drop from B&W or 3 inch, 8 inch drop Weigh-safe. The weigh safe doesn’t come with a 7 inch drop, seems like a few people on the site have had issues with the 8 inch drop. The only place I could potentially see this as an issue is the boat launch - some have a steep angle. Is the weigh safe a novelty that really wouldn’t be all that useful?

I pull a boat trailer, a 2 place jet ski trailer and a 23ft enclosed snowmobile/ATV trailer made by stealth.

My trailers are 2 hours away so, can’t get to exact drop needs.

Thoughts? I drive myself crazy with these silly decisions.

Mach'er

Race Red Slappy
Reaction Points
Miltary
Army Veteran
Current Ride
20MY Tremor (250 Lariat)
Yeah, me too, with the over analysis when trying to decide on stuff for this truck.

I went with the Weigh Safe, with an 8" drop. I did read some concerns about the 8" drop, but I also read many sources that said it was fine. One source said you should have >12" clearance from flat pavement to the bottom of the draw bar's drop. Ultimately, I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Weigh Safe, figuring I only ever leave it in there when I'm towing. AND, its made of aluminum. If push comes to shove, I'll cut an inch off the thing (which I absolutely hope I don't have to do).

I have 3 different trailers as well. 2 use a 2 5/16" ball, 1 has a 2" ball. Each has a different preferred coupler height. I like being able to lock my stuff up. Put all those together, plus me thinking that the novelty of knowing the tongue weight was a good idea, and I made my call. But it was certainly not a slam dunk easy decision. I think a lot of it just comes down to what you like & want.

One note... My Weigh Safe, a WS8-2.5, only has one drawbar pin hole (so single option on insertion depth into the truck's receiver). Some of the pictures online show two. Not sure what's up with that, but it still works for me.

Nightcrawler

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Which one has the least amount of slop when not hooked up to a trailer? My current Bulletproof hitch rattles like crazy.

Mach'er

Race Red Slappy
Reaction Points
Miltary
Army Veteran
Current Ride
20MY Tremor (250 Lariat)
I don't know, since I only have the one. But I do know the one I have doesn't move around much.

plethoragreen

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 7.3 Lariat Tremor
I like the B&W, but the whole idea is to leave it hooked up all the time and "stowed" away which it does an excellent job of. I just never leave them in when not towing so that aspect of it made little sense for me.

I also wasn't that concerned about the "weigh" part of the WeighSafe I just liked the black aluminum and clean easy to swap out ball sizes. I like not having multiple balls hanging out getting knocked around etc when not being used.

I got the 8" drop WeighSafe with all three ball sizes as I've needed all of them in the past at various times.

2020Tremor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
8.1l Burb
I have narrowed down my choices to an 3 inch, 7 drop from B&W or 3 inch, 8 inch drop Weigh-safe. The weigh safe doesn’t come with a 7 inch drop, seems like a few people on the site have had issues with the 8 inch drop. The only place I could potentially see this as an issue is the boat launch - some have a steep angle. Is the weigh safe a novelty that really wouldn’t be all that useful?

I pull a boat trailer, a 2 place jet ski trailer and a 23ft enclosed snowmobile/ATV trailer made by stealth.

My trailers are 2 hours away so, can’t get to exact drop needs.

Thoughts? I drive myself crazy with these silly decisions.
I have the B&W 7” drop but in the 2 1/2” version and in the lowest position does hang down quite a bit about 11” ground clearance to the bottom of the unused ball. My boat mate boat trailer sits pretty high so run ball higher and clearance is at 13” to the bottom of the hitch bar with no ramp issues. Those measurements are unloaded clearance #s. It looks like the weight safe has a little more clearance on the lowest setting if getting the model without the flip over ball. I opted for the B&W for several reasons but main one was local a ability and price. The other reason is it is super quick changing from 2” to 2 5/16” ball. My friend is running the weight safe on his Excursion and it is also a very nice hitch not near as fast to transition between balls but he doesn’t swap between them as often as I have to. You will probably be happy with either one.

Doerrby

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 Lariat Tremor
Love my 3” weighsafe with 10” drop. The 10” was cheaper than the other sizes. Never had an issue but if need be, aluminum is soft and easy to cut

Ford Tremor Supporting Member Badge