Auto High Idle?

SchillerM

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Details:
40F outside
235miles on truck, all light duty
My first diesel

After I washed the truck today I took it around the block to help shake the water loose from the crannies. I parked and left it running while I cleaned up the hose and bucket. Truck went into a high idle for a few minutes then made a sound (sort of like misfire might sound) and dropped down to 1k rpm. I did not see what RPM was for first part. Had a hot burn off type smell.

My thoughts were either regen, but seems early at 235 miles. Other thought was cause it's 40F out, but the dual rpm doesn't seem likely. I checked DPF and it shows full, but no idea how much a regen would move the needle? Burn off smell would make sense for a regen, but also could just be burn off from soap/detailing Spray.

Thoughts?

My Tremor did this once also, but without the "misfire" just idled a little higher than normal, and it too was on a cooler night. I've owned a few diesels so I'll try to answer your concerns. The truck has 235 miles, it is normal to have a "burning smell" of some sort with all the new parts being heated up and such. At this few of miles I wouldn't think it is a regen, but isn't impossible. When the truck goes into regen, it won't usually high idle, but you will definitely smell a "burning smell". The truck regen range varies with the drive circumstance. If you do a lot of highway it will be less frequent, if you drive in the city or let the truck idle for long periods of time it'll be more frequent. Mine usually regens 500-800 miles. You will not notice the needle move at all until after several regens, then you'll notice it has dropped it uses small amounts of DEF per regen. I hope this helps, and this is solely off my experience, and I'm sure someone will chime in and share theirs.

Truck wanted to spool the turbo to help it warm up but something stopped that. Happens to mine every time I have it in high idle during auto mode and with the high idle switch flicked.

Details:
40F outside
235miles on truck, all light duty
My first diesel

After I washed the truck today I took it around the block to help shake the water loose from the crannies. I parked and left it running while I cleaned up the hose and bucket. Truck went into a high idle for a few minutes then made a sound (sort of like misfire might sound) and dropped down to 1k rpm. I did not see what RPM was for first part. Had a hot burn off type smell.

My thoughts were either regen, but seems early at 235 miles. Other thought was cause it's 40F out, but the dual rpm doesn't seem likely. I checked DPF and it shows full, but no idea how much a regen would move the needle? Burn off smell would make sense for a regen, but also could just be burn off from soap/detailing Spray.

Thoughts?
Was it temp? The truck will try to warm it self up but it always possible that it was a regen... And when your breaking in the motor it may fill the filter quickly... I didn't track mine when I first got mine

The manual states that the truck will go into high idle after idling for a certain amount of time. Also, I’m pretty sure my truck did a regen with 3 miles on it right when I drove it off the lot. So, I don’t think there is any set standard for regens other than it has to be at temperature and supposedly driving over 30mph.

The manual states that the truck will go into high idle after idling for a certain amount of time. Also, I’m pretty sure my truck did a regen with 3 miles on it right when I drove it off the lot. So, I don’t think there is any set standard for regens other than it has to be at temperature and supposedly driving over 30mph.
How do you know when it's going to regain? Mine went into fast idle this morning on an auto start after a couple of mins at low idle. caught me off guard? I have 116 miles

How do you know when it's going to regain? Mine went into fast idle this morning on an auto start after a couple of mins at low idle. caught me off guard? I have 116 miles
I never know when my truck is going to regen. I think it’s supposed to regen every 300-500 miles. There are times that I think it’s doing a regen but am not certain. Some of those times are when I shut it off in the driveway and get out and catch a scent of something hot around the truck then I worry it wasn’t able to complete a regen. Sometimes I feel like I can smell it doing a regen while driving in the cab but again not for sure. I do think my truck did a regen when I drove it off the lot with 3 miles on it 🤷‍♂️. I also think you can monitor and/or do a manual regen with Forscan.

Back