ATTENTION 7.3 OWNERS, COOLING FAN ON MANY ENGINES HAVE THE WRONG FAN!!!

4kracing

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor Lariat 7.3
My 7.3 with 8,500 mi on it has been overheating a few times, and the A/C has never worked that great. I just had it in the dealer two times last week and I figured out the problem, (they could not) The fan has the blades pitched the wrong direction blowing air TO THE RADIATOR! This explains why the poor A/C and the over heating. Dealer said I cannot take the truck home until new fan assembly comes in by the end of August. NO HAPPY AT ALL!

I'm calling Ford on Monday and will try and get a new truck if possible, or having them extend the factory warranty for 100k, and pay for a rental F150 until it's repaired.

Side note: I had this at the dealer a few months ago and they had to order a new fan clutch which was not the problem. It seems the dealer mechanics do not know which way the fan blade pitch is on a clockwise rotating engine...smh!

Do what?! I just went and checked mine and its spinning the correct rotation and pulling air through the radiator. I wonder which fan they put on these that has the wrong pitch, 6.2 or 6.7? I have a 6/20 build btw so I guess they caught it...

Just checked mine and it is blowing the correct direction. Not sure the build date. Says “Date 3/20” on the sticker on the inside of the driver door.

Mine is one of the first builds. I built it in late September 2019 and that could have something to do with it. The good news is I had my good friend in fleet sales save me about 4k off MSRP with all my upgrades.

Do what?! I just went and checked mine and its spinning the correct rotation and pulling air through the radiator. I wonder which fan they put on these that has the wrong pitch, 6.2 or 6.7? I have a 6/20 build btw so I guess they caught it...
Who knows! All I know is it's a pain in the a$$ and I want Ford to care of me. Hopefully, I have had no irreparable damage done to my engine or trans.

Wow what a shit show man...I need to check mine,n but I think it's ok...driven the thing in some damn hot weather here in Tx and everything checks out even AC.

Sucks to hear about all the issues you are having. Let us know how things turn out! Hopefully the dealership will make it right.

Talked with Ford on Monday and they started a "buy back" for me. I think this is the way to go if I get fully compensated. We have already talked with a lemon law attorney too.

Here is a picture of my fan looking at it from the front. Note that our fan spins clockwise when facing the front to back.
20200818_091508.jpg

I know one thing, if I order a 2021 I will get the LED headlights in the Lariat luxury package. I didn't think it was necessary so I opted for the value package. So I get a Mulligan! LOL

I have warranty issue PTSD from my 2015 Power Wagon. I did not really know about lemon laws and buy backs until it was too late. That's why I spent so much time researching before I brought the wife's new car last year ( a Ford ) and preparing for my New Tremor this year.

My Ram was in the shop for easily over 100 days over 4.5 years for a slew of factory warranty issues, many of them repeat.

This problem with the Fan sounds like a pain in the but, but it also sounds minor, it was found and can be corrected, so why the buy back?

I have warranty issue PTSD from my 2015 Power Wagon. I did not really know about lemon laws and buy backs until it was too late. That's why I spent so much time researching before I brought the wife's new car last year ( a Ford ) and preparing for my New Tremor this year.

My Ram was in the shop for easily over 100 days over 4.5 years for a slew of factory warranty issues, many of them repeat.

This problem with the Fan sounds like a pain in the but, but it also sounds minor, it was found and can be corrected, so why the buy back?
Ford immediately offered that in the beginning of our conversation, so I replied yes. Again, I do not have the details on how this will work, but I will pursue it.

To answer your question why, because since it has not been cooling correctly for 8500 miles, I don't know what the long term outcome will be with respect to other issues.

Ford immediately offered that in the beginning of our conversation, so I replied yes. Again, I do not have the details on how this will work, but I will pursue it.

To answer your question why, because since it has not been cooling correctly for 8500 miles, I don't know what the long term outcome will be with respect to other issues.
I'd probably go this route also, especially with the new engine/tranny combo. Completely understandable.

I'll double check mine, but with the last month of 100+ and the AC on full blast, I haven't noticed any issues.

If you go with the buy back, just prepare to be patient. It takes a few months to go through and if you are going to, order a new truck right away or you will be waiting on that. Try to get a 2020 if you can or things will get more complicated. I am still working through my Buyback and now am told the earliest they can schedule closing is this Monday, the 24th. Fortunately I ordered my replacement before Ford even confirmed the buyback so my new truck has been sitting at the dealer the last week and a half waiting on the paperwork to go through. At least I am not waiting on the truck now. They also tried to charge me an extra $470 that they called an upgrade. I explained to them this truck was ordered from the invoice for the original truck. The I was told the price went up and that is what it was. I told them I wasn't paying more for the same truck. I made the deal in January, the truck has been sitting at the dealer since March waiting on parts, and it is not my problem if there has been a price increase during that time. Fortunately they are seeing things my way now and I should be in my new truck Monday. As I said, be patient and get that order in.

If you go with the buy back, just prepare to be patient. It takes a few months to go through and if you are going to, order a new truck right away or you will be waiting on that. Try to get a 2020 if you can or things will get more complicated. I am still working through my Buyback and now am told the earliest they can schedule closing is this Monday, the 24th. Fortunately I ordered my replacement before Ford even confirmed the buyback so my new truck has been sitting at the dealer the last week and a half waiting on the paperwork to go through. At least I am not waiting on the truck now. They also tried to charge me an extra $470 that they called an upgrade. I explained to them this truck was ordered from the invoice for the original truck. The I was told the price went up and that is what it was. I told them I wasn't paying more for the same truck. I made the deal in January, the truck has been sitting at the dealer since March waiting on parts, and it is not my problem if there has been a price increase during that time. Fortunately they are seeing things my way now and I should be in my new truck Monday. As I said, be patient and get that order in.
Just recieved a letter today basically saying: Thanks for your inquiry, but your screwed! I now have to contact the BBB to start a mediation/arbitration. I have a call into Ford today to see if they want to work the buy back, but I'm not hopeful. Any help will be appreciated.

Just recieved a letter today basically saying: Thanks for your inquiry, but your screwed! I now have to contact the BBB to start a mediation/arbitration. I have a call into Ford today to see if they want to work the buy back, but I'm not hopeful. Any help will be appreciated.
Are they not able to fix your truck? I do understand that if the fan wasn't right you were running it without the proper cooling. If they fixed and gave you free extended warranty, might be worth it if no other problems with truck. Buyback is a long process and with the change in model year it could get messy. I am lucky my replacement went through in just over 6 months with covid related supply line issues but I am very happy with it. Let me know if you need number to Ford vehicle requisition and you could try talking to them. Basically my dealer told me they would buy it back but we had to wait for confirmation. I ordered new truck before confirmation and it still took long. I am at last, happy however. Even hit 15.7 mpg in 7.3 today highway driving.

Are they not able to fix your truck? I do understand that if the fan wasn't right you were running it without the proper cooling. If they fixed and gave you free extended warranty, might be worth it if no other problems with truck. Buyback is a long process and with the change in model year it could get messy. I am lucky my replacement went through in just over 6 months with covid related supply line issues but I am very happy with it. Let me know if you need number to Ford vehicle requisition and you could try talking to them. Basically my dealer told me they would buy it back but we had to wait for confirmation. I ordered new truck before confirmation and it still took long. I am at last, happy however. Even hit 15.7 mpg in 7.3 today highway driving.
Yes, they replaced the fan assembly and now it works fine. It seems like an up hill battle for a buy back, but extending the warranty was the next thing I will ask for. If all else fails, I will sell the truck and buy a new one with some upgrades I should have got the first time.

Back