Apple CarPlay

Randy77

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Is anyone using and had any success with any of the aftermarket wireless carplay adapters. Not the biggest thing, but will be going backwards from wireless carplay to wired with the new Tremor coming. Thanks

I use that Carplay 2 it works fine for me takes a few seconds to connect but otherwise I'm super happy with it.

What are the opinions on car play? I don't use it and don't see the benefits probably because I don't know anything about it. The truck already has navigation that works pretty well. It streams music via bluetooth from the iphone well. it alerts to text messages and phone calls. So why the need for carplay?

What are the opinions on car play? I don't use it and don't see the benefits probably because I don't know anything about it. The truck already has navigation that works pretty well. It streams music via bluetooth from the iphone well. it alerts to text messages and phone calls. So why the need for carplay?
Uhm... yeah. So it’s pretty accepted throughout the industry that in a few years the systems will just be CarPlay/android auto. Because software companies are just inherently better at doing just that, software. Whereas car companies are good at cars, but less so at software. And so overall Sync3 is just a really buggy, slow software compared to a modern touchscreen phone experience.

But outside of all that, there are actually a very few minor reasons why using CarPlay over the Bluetooth/Sync3 combo may be considered better: 1. Apps like Google Maps and Waze use real-time and crowdsourced traffic information that often times outperforms the factory systems 2. The audio connection over the cabled phone is actually better than the Bluetooth one. The average person can’t tell but audiophiles will prefer the signal being sent through the cable.
there are also downs to it: You need a good, active cell phone connection, you’re buying into a user experience from apple or google, you become overly trusting in the crowdsourcing abilities of Waze.

Uhm... yeah. So it’s pretty accepted throughout the industry that in a few years the systems will just be CarPlay/android auto. Because software companies are just inherently better at doing just that, software. Whereas car companies are good at cars, but less so at software. And so overall Sync3 is just a really buggy, slow software compared to a modern touchscreen phone experience.

But outside of all that, there are actually a very few minor reasons why using CarPlay over the Bluetooth/Sync3 combo may be considered better: 1. Apps like Google Maps and Waze use real-time and crowdsourced traffic information that often times outperforms the factory systems 2. The audio connection over the cabled phone is actually better than the Bluetooth one. The average person can’t tell but audiophiles will prefer the signal being sent through the cable.
there are also downs to it: You need a good, active cell phone connection, you’re buying into a user experience from apple or google, you become overly trusting in the crowdsourcing abilities of Waze.
Ok good to know. I don't find the sync system buggy at all. Although the version in my wife's expedition always seems to default to FM radio every time we restart the vehicle. This despite never listening to the radio and always using siriusxm. My sync system seems to wok ok. Maybe i'll use carplay for a bit and see the difference. Cell reception in our area is spotty so it might not be a good option where I live

I have android auto, still not sure wtf is does or is, don't need it either.

I get an ominous feeling when apple and android constantly are integrating into our lives creating more dependency in every way but i see where you're coming from @Trämör. Apparently the "way of the future."

I agree with whats been said about Carplay, Waze and Google maps is very useful if you are traveling.

I wouldn't waste your money on the wireless connection, your phone is always with a foot of the head unit, I just keep mine plugged in and everything can be accessed through the screen

I’ve tried both Apple CarPlay hardwired & just using Bluetooth to connect my phone. The Bluetooth connects fairly quickly once I get in my truck & if I’m streaming music to it AND using Google Maps, the Turn by Turn directions come through the truck speakers. So it seems to integrate quite seamlessly.
Also while connected via Bluetooth I still have the ability to receive calls & text messages. As well as use apps such as Pandora & iHeart Radio.
So, I just stick with Bluetooth especially because trying to get to my music library in Apple CarPlay is a real Pain in the ass!!

This is just my opinion based on my experience with Sync 3 using it in 2 different trucks now.

I do like the better sound quality when streaming music. It is very obvious to me.

But I hate plugging mine in because it changes the functionality of Waze on my phone. Second I now have another set of screens to figure out and I lose the outdoor temp gauge without going all the way back to the Ford screen.

Minor, I know, but I don't want to plug my phone in, I just want it to work every time.

I hate the carplay for 90% of driving, I find it tedious to change between satellite radio stations once its connected. I always just use bluetooth. If i am going on a long trip then I can see the benefit of waze being routed through to the screen but other than that, I prefer the bluetooth connection to still maintain the factory settings. My 2021 radio is a little glitchy though the channel names on the presets seem to bounce around to different positions but the preset channel itself doesnt change. For instance "the highway" will display on the preset for "2k country" station but when I press it, "2k country" plays like it should etc. Anyone else have that issue?

Thanks for all the feedback! I’ll try life plugged in for a bit, but glad to know the wireless option works.

I have android auto, still not sure wtf is does or is, don't need it either.

I get an ominous feeling when apple and android constantly are integrating into our lives creating more dependency in every way but i see where you're coming from @Trämör. Apparently the "way of the future."
Oh I agree. I’m not at all comfortable with apple & google taking over. But as a matter of fact, purely from a software perspective, an iPhone operating system is smoother/more robustly built than a Sync3. That’s like comparing MS DOS with Windows 10.

A good way to think about Apple CarPlay is to compare it to a streaming device like Roku or an Apple TV. When you plug one of these devices into any TV screen, you can use the interface provided by the streaming device to install apps and control your content on screen. Without a roku or Apple TV you’re limited to whatever factory apps were built into your “smart” tv. The ford sync system is the equivalent to the factory apps on your smart tv. The smart tv Netflix app, the roku Netflix app, and the Apple TV Netflix app all work and do basically the same thing (play Netflix shows). It really comes down to which interface you prefer. Try both and see what suites you. Never be afraid to try something new, but similarly don’t be afraid to continue using what you like. Exploring and playing with your options is key. ?

Last edited:
... My 2021 radio is a little glitchy though the channel names on the presets seem to bounce around to different positions but the preset channel itself doesnt change. For instance "the highway" will display on the preset for "2k country" station but when I press it, "2k country" plays like it should etc. Anyone else have that issue?
I actually noticed the same thing. My Country at #3 jumped to Hits at #1. When I clicked the #1 button it was still true to Hits instead of what the icon showed, and the icons switched back.

Waze navigation is far superior to the Ford navigation. It's so satisfying dodging a fallen mattress after seeing an "object on road" reported. Just the police reporting alone has saved me hundreds in tickets. It's all user reported, so you tend to get more accurate results in metro areas more than rural areas.

Running a Carlinkit2, had to do the setup twice, it is small and i used some velcro to tag it in place in the charging well, connects quickly but the range is pretty short, if the phone is not in the cupholder or charging area it won't connect (like from my left front pocket won't connect).. so far i really like it, I am an audiobook guy, so 90% of my audio is coming from the phone anyway & love the fact i don't have cables laying around, I may switch it to a short USBc-USBc cable to see if performance improves, but so far so good

Great thread. I havent tried the Apple car play yet and am considering giving it a go. As others have stated, I too prefer Waze when traveling.

In general I like CarPlay but as others have mentioned it can be a little clunky or cumbersome moving back and forth between it and Satellite radio which I use a lot.

In general I like CarPlay but as others have mentioned it can be a little clunky or cumbersome moving back and forth between it and Satellite radio which I use a lot.
I did notice that you could use the 1/2/3/4/5/6 number pad below the screen to jump to that associated preset station while on the Carplay screen. (you'd have to remember which station is on which number since it doesn't show you the screen).

Not seeing Apple CarPlay available in the App Store. Where’s is located?

Back