F 🌲 50
Reaction Points
Military
USAF
Current Ride
2021 F350 6.7 Tremor Lithium Gray
First Responder
Retired LEO
If you are what brand and model # for the 2020? Will locking caps throw a code?

Thanks in Advance.

This dude did it, and I believe it's what you were looking for right?

curious

This may be what he got: AMI fuel door lock

Last edited:

curious

ah...nope. I asked about a locking fuel cap, not a locking fuel door.

yep, saw that, says it fits a 19, wondering if it will fit a 2020 without throwing a code?
Seems a relatively cheap item to buy and try. People complained in the reviews about the lack of the plastic lanyard that holds the stock cap.

I found this locking cap at my local NAPA dealer and it works. I am in the process of configuring a lock for the DEF cap. I bought this hasp and may drill the DEF cap and add a small lock to it as well.A work in progress. It won’t be fail safe, but may deter a vandal. My truck is garaged and we live in the country, but it’s a piece of mind.

4C33083A-C695-43D7-A145-AA53E75B357D.jpeg

Attachments

• C2CD2C58-30A3-4AB6-B95A-102B7BCA4C74.jpeg
    C2CD2C58-30A3-4AB6-B95A-102B7BCA4C74.jpeg
    348.7 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:
I am thankful I don't go anywhere or keep it where I would need such a thing.

I have one on my 2006 - purchased it after someone at a barn I frequented had an incident where water was intentionally added to the fuel tank, trashing the engine. It is a cheap way to put an additional deterrent to vandals - I will put one on my Tremor when I get one (soon).

I am thankful I don't go anywhere or keep it where I would need such a thing.

Same here PR ??, however I will always know that the only access to my fuel and def system will be only me. My truck is garaged at home, but when pulling our Travel Trailer across the US...well I don’t have that security.

Great thread. I think this is an often overlooked potential issue. I have had fuel siphoned a few times from another truck. There seem to be a lot of trouble makers around these days and a nice truck could be a target.
I'm glad to see that NAPA caries one but I would like to see more options.
I bought one that looked very much the same, but for gas and from (some other place). I used it for just a few times and then the key just spun. I spent about an extra 20 min trying to finesse this cap off without messing up my truck. cap was in the trash after that.
Anyone got other ideas?

curious

That has some potential but I would rather keep the look of the truck the same. (y)

Looking at the key for that lock, it looks like it could be bypassed or even single pin picked in 1-2 seconds. It should keep the honest people honest though.

I found this locking cap at my local NAPA dealer and it works. I am in the process of configuring a lock for the DEF cap. I bought this hasp and may drill the DEF cap and add a small lock to it as well.A work in progress. It won’t be fail safe, but may deter a vandal. My truck is garaged and we live in the country, but it’s a piece of mind.

View attachment 10323

View attachment 10324

View attachment 10322
That looks great and I would like to do something similar, I just don't want to get stuck dealing with the plastic fuel cap/locking mechanics again. #becareful

Great thread. I think this is an often overlooked potential issue. I have had fuel siphoned a few times from another truck. There seem to be a lot of trouble makers around these days and a nice truck could be a target.
I'm glad to see that NAPA caries one but I would like to see more options.
I bought one that looked very much the same, but for gas and from (some other place). I used it for just a few times and then the key just spun. I spent about an extra 20 min trying to finesse this cap off without messing up my truck. cap was in the trash after that.
Anyone got other ideas?

I agree. Unfortunately there are not many locking fuel cap options available on the market. This cap is the only one I have found. It’s I would be interested in other ideas. Not so much concerned about someone stealing diesel as I am how easy it is for a vandal to contaminate fuel or the DEF system. Obviously would take only seconds with the current set up. This lock can be defeated, but deterrents do at times help. I am likely way over thinking this and may just shelf this whole idea.

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised there isn't some billet aluminum with badass lock for like 75$ that someone makes.

Back