Anyone used Alligator V2B pass-through valve caps?

ccw

Carpet Delete Missionary
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Tremor 7.3L
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
Trying to optimize my process for airing up after off-roading. Picked up a Morrflate inflation system so I can do all 4 tires at once. The next major pain is having to remove each valve cap and make sure not to lose them.

Stumbled across these Alligator V2B pass-through valve caps (Amazon): https://www.alligator-valves.com/fi...ator_V2B-Rueckschlagventilkappe_GB_LowRES.pdf

Principle is that they are robustly sealed from the elements, but are still a valve so they don’t have to be removed for checking pressures or airing up. They are intended for semi trucks, but I’m wondering how they would hold up off-road. They look pretty durable, and they sure would be more convenient than traditional valve caps for airing up.

Has anyone used them before? If so, how did/do you like them? Any issues with dirt intrusion?

What are you using for Air?

I have the Arb but it would take forever to do all four. , assuming you have a fairly large air tank.
I like the idea of having same exact pressure in all 4 and one place to check the pressure.

What are you using for Air?

I have the Arb but it would take forever to do all four. , assuming you have a fairly large air tank.
I like the idea of having same exact pressure in all 4 and one place to check the pressure.

I have a ViaAir 450p (the 100% duty cycle portable unit). No air tank.

Probably takes 5 mins per tire (33” diameter on my F-150) to air up from 20-40 PSI, so not too bad. Biggest pain is the length of the hose on the air chuck isn’t long enough to stand upright if the valve isn’t at the top of the wheel. So I end up squatting for 15-20 mins.

The Morrflate literally arrived today so will test it this weekend and compare the speed with airing up the 4 tires separately.

According to Morrflate doing all 4 is actually easier on your compressor as there’s less resistance at the compressor. Reviews I’ve seen online show the speed as slightly faster using the Morrflate than doing it individually - with a lot less squatting.

Here’s Morrflate’s FAQ: https://morrflate.com/how-to-install-morrflate-smittybilt-adapter/

That should save your back!

I will have an on board tank and the twin ARB on my Tremor. I would like to hard plumb a line to connect and disconnect. Just did one on my Rubicon but its the single ARB. It's really nice to have on board air.
That kit would be great!

Nice! That’s the dream setup. Though based on my research even a 5 gallon tank won’t fill all 4 tires. Will certainly speed up the first one or two, but after that it’s all compressor. I’ve heard the twin ARB is super fast though.

I’ll let you know how the Morrflate works out for me, but might still be useful for you with onboard air depending on where your chuck is. Worth noting they can do custom lengths as well, just email them.

In my case I got extra length for $40 extra. Their longest pre-built kit is rated at 5” shorter wheelbase than the Tremor, so wanted to make sure I was covered.

Dually's come oem with the passthrough caps, never had any problems with them on my 2017 dually. They look the same.
Awesome! That’s good to hear, especially if they come OEM. They’re cheap enough I’m leaning towards just trying them and carrying regular valve caps as back up.

Plus you can get those Alligators in packs of 250! Woo Hoo!
We could get 8 packs for a group buy for everyone!

My question is that without a true cap what keeps dirt from building up on those Gators which winds up being blown into your tores?

My question is that without a true cap what keeps dirt from building up on those Gators which winds up being blown into your tores?
Looking images they seem to have a pretty flush top surface. This means unlike a regular valve, where there’s a large spot for dirt to accumulate, dirt here will just sit on the surface.

I think a quick wipe of the pass-through before attaching the chuck should be enough, then?

It looks to me like there is a semi-substantial gap between the center spring piston thingie and the body. Probably not significant for on the road usage but, trust me, an 80 mile trip through Death Valley will have that little crevice packed with talcum powder fine dust/dirt. Since I don't have an 18 wheeler I think I will stick with caps.

It looks to me like there is a semi-substantial gap between the center spring piston thingie and the body. Probably not significant for on the road usage but, trust me, an 80 mile trip through Death Valley will have that little crevice packed with talcum powder fine dust/dirt. Since I don't have an 18 wheeler I think I will stick with caps.
That’s fair. Ended up ordering them. For $10 for a 10 pack, figure I’ll see them in person and, if I feel it’s worth it, try them out. I’ll post some better pictures and thoughts of the gap once I get them (they’ll arrive after the weekend).

Ok, got to do some testing tonight! And was able to see the caps and put them on.

First, the caps. They seem really well built. Definitely no concerns with on-road use, though that wasn't really a concern before. As for off-road, I feel good about them but am still wary. Will need to actually use them off-road to be sure. The hole on top is very small; way smaller than the normal opening on a schrader valve. It's recessed in by a very small amount, but ultimately I suspect that will fill with dirt and dust. But it won't be much. If there's concern, I suspect you could take a small wire, pen, or nail, push down the valve, and let the escaping air clean it out.

If I was doing rock crawling or hard off-roading I definitely wouldn't want these. They stick out a significant amount from the existing valve stem increasing the risk of ripping the valve stem out. For the terrain I run, I'm not too concerned.

Here's some close-up shots. Penny for scale.

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

If anyone wants any more pictures of them, let me know.

As for the Morrflate, I'm impressed by the build quality, but the speeds surprised me - a bit slower than expected. Ultimately it was slower for both deflating and inflating, but it's worth the convenience. First the times, then I'll break down exactly how I did the test.

Airing down:
  • ARB EZ-Deflator (removes the valve core): 7 minutes 0 seconds
  • Morrflate: 8 minutes 12 seconds
Airing up:
  • ViaAir 450p with included hose and air chuck: 12 minutes 30 seconds
  • ViaAir 450p with Morrflate: 16 minutes 20 seconds
When inflated I run my tires at 45psi front, 40psi rear. When deflated, 25psi front, 20psi rear. Those were the pressures I was going from/to. Testing was done on my F-150 which has 275/70R18 (approximately 33") Duratracs.

For all scenarios I had the equipment in their respective bag on top of my tonneau cover before timing. I timed removing from the bag, inflating or deflating all four tires to my desired pressure, then putting the equipment back in its bag. Testing was done with the new caps installed, so they were left on for everything except the ARB deflator. Hooking up the compressor to the battery was not included in the time as that's required regardless of hoses/chuck used.

While I suspect I will get more efficient at packing up the Morrflate - ultimately there's more involved given how much hose you're working with - I don't feel there's a massive amount of time to gain back. Certainly not 4 minutes to beat out using the standard air chuck.

The convenience of the Morrflate cannot be denied. Being able to stand upright and not maintain grip on an air chuck or deflator is so nice. I was walking around looking for things to do while I aired up and aired down rather than being tied to a tire. Even getting back and front at separate pressures was easy: just stop when you hit the first pressure you care about, disconnect those tires, then keep going until the other two are done.

Other miscellaneous thoughts:
  • There's a 2psi pressure drop from the tires to the gauge with the Morrflate because of the length of the hoses. Not a big deal and easy to adjust for once you know it's there.
  • The ViaAir's hose has rubber-wrapped ends on it. Now I see why. The Morrflate fittings are all metal and the fitting connected to the compressor gets hot. Gloves required if you want to disconnect it immediately after filling without gloves. It was just cool enough to disconnect it without gloves after leaving it to cool down while I coiled up the rest of the hoses.
  • There's a small leak on one of the Morrflate quick connect fittings. I need to work out if it's a bad fitting or just needs new thread sealer. Given the service I got when ordering, I'm not concerned about reaching out for a replacement fitting if needed. I don't think this would have dramatically changed the inflation time, but can't say for sure.

After trying many inflation / deflation setups, my current setup is:

Airing Down I use Trailhead Deflators. They're easy, quick, and reliable. I've tried a few different screw-on deflators, using my 4-way air fill hose, and using a single air chuck inflator with a release valve. The Trailhead Deflators win for me - they're fast and the adjustment screw is inset into the housing requiring a hex wrench to adjust - so they stay set where they were set. Each full turn is 3psi which I've found to be very reliable - much more precise vs other deflators I've tried.

Airing Up I use an ARB Twin CKMTA 12 mounted in the engine compartment on an upfitter switch. I use a homemade 4-way air fill hose to fill all 4x tires at the same time, disconnecting the front tires mid-way to air up the back tires to a higher pressure if desired. It's not that much faster than filling each tire individually, but I use the hands-off time for cores - eating, taking photos, etc.

Homemade 4-Way Air Filler
What's next?
  • I think ideally I'd have an air chuck in each tire well with 4x short quick-connect hoses. This would reduce the amount of gear to carry (vs my current 4-way inflator) and also take less time to deploy and pack up. Could get caked with mud so should probably need quick connect covers.
  • I think adding an air tank would be nice to have for a bit of a quick start when airing up tires and also having the option to use air tools like an impact wrench or an air-powered blender.

Follow-up on the pass-through valve caps after a camping trip in the national forest: I love them. Super convenient, and they held up great. I've experienced no air loss that I'm aware of.

Did 50-100 miles of dirt road driving, round trip was a bit under 900 miles. Dirt roads were varying grades of forest road, from quite rough to well graded gravel. Lots of dust. Also hit some standing water puddles and a bit of mud, enough to get dirty water all over the wheels and some mud.

The caps captured perhaps the smallest amount of dirt, but nothing I was concerned about. Outside of being in the dirt, day-to-day I love the convenience of checking my tire pressures at the gas station. Find myself checking more often, now, which is a good thing. :)

I stand by the two situations where I wouldn't recommend them, but only if you're regularly in these situations:
1. Deep mud.
2. Rock crawling, where ripping off a valve stem is a concern.

Remember that if they do have enough dirt build up to worry about, they can always be removed like any other valve cap, leaving the clean valve underneath.

So in summary: buy them. :D

I have them too, though I haven't done any offroad testing as CCW... I like the fact that you just slap the air tool on quickly, I know it's not hard to take a little cap off, but little things like these seem to make me check pressure more often. I just wish they made them in black, and, yes they do stick out a bit.

Nice! That’s the dream setup. Though based on my research even a 5 gallon tank won’t fill all 4 tires. Will certainly speed up the first one or two, but after that it’s all compressor. I’ve heard the twin ARB is super fast though.

I’ll let you know how the Morrflate works out for me, but might still be useful for you with onboard air depending on where your chuck is. Worth noting they can do custom lengths as well, just email them.

In my case I got extra length for $40 extra. Their longest pre-built kit is rated at 5” shorter wheelbase than the Tremor, so wanted to make sure I was covered.

What length did you end up going with?

I’m assuming your still loving the Alligator V2B valve caps?

What length did you end up going with?

I’m assuming your still loving the Alligator V2B valve caps?
Absolutely still loving the valve caps! Ended up giving a bunch to my dad for his vehicles and bought a 50 pack. Putting them on everything I own.

This is everything I got from Morrflate:

1639240324935.png

For the length, I told them the relevant dimensions of the truck, they came up with the lengths. No idea how much they needed the measurements. Here's the original message I sent them:

I’m considering a Morrflate+ for my truck, but I’m not sure if it will work for my wheelbase - 160”. (F-350 crew cab, 6.75 foot bed.) How long are the hoses for each side?

Based on my trucks’s specification, The truck will have a 160” wheelbase, along with a 40” front overhang. Given the truck is 80” wide, this means to go from the center of the truck where the compressor is (ViaAir portable) to the rear wheels, the hose for each side will need to run at least 20 feet.
When I messaged them I didn't know you could get a custom length. I learned about that in their response.

" I’ve heard the twin ARB is super fast though."

That's an understatement. On my trip Tues-Wed I aired up from
50-65 in about 1.5 minutes/tire.

8A78C77F-2C27-4343-B531-8D9888E431B1.jpeg

Back