Anyone running 93 octane?

coachhomer

Tremor Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-350 Tremor
I have been running 93 since day 1. Have 13,000 miles. I seem to do this with all of my vehicles, I run the best at first and then just opt for 87 due to cost. Just curious what everyone else is doing.
C

I have been running 93 since day 1. Have 13,000 miles. I seem to do this with all of my vehicles, I run the best at first and then just opt for 87 due to cost. Just curious what everyone else is doing.
C
Highest grade I can get is 91.
I'm used to running 91 all my vehicles require it.
Well except the jeep.
So 91
93 if I'm on the coast.

91 is as high as you can get at the pump around here as well. Some stations even get 91 ethanol free. Ran that for most of the break in but have backed off to 87 for winter when not towing much and will switch back to 91 when starting back up towing.

Just found this in the manual:

“Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.”

“For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.”

And not directly related to octane but good to know for those with low miles:

“Your vehicle calculates fuel economy figures through the trip computer average fuel function. See General Information (page 110).
The first 1,000 mi (1,500 km) of driving is the break-in period of the engine. A more accurate measurement is obtained after 2,000 mi (3,000 km).”
I

I honestly have no idea. There are three choices at my usual station. I just pick the one with no ethanol.

I've tried 93 Octane numerous times when filling up my tractor and 4 wheeler tanks. But I never noticed any difference at all.

Dont have my truck yet but was planning on the recommended 87 while everday life then when i go upstate ny to the hunting cabin every couple months there is a station with a 93 non ethanol pump i use for my toys . Does switching up the gas have a negative effect on truck. Mech told me a few years ago to stay with the same octane not sure if thats true

I go with the 87, thats what Ford recommended, I doubt you would see any noticeable benefit from higher. I would just make sure you are going with a quality brand fuel. Now you get into some other engines, like the 5.8L that is in my GT500, Ford recommends no less than 91. Audi's and some other brands are the same from what I understand.

A7E4B2FD-CC8F-4E1B-AA5B-441973B6BC43.png

I run nothing but 93 octane, even if I didn't have tunes from 5 Star specifically for 93. I won't run anything lower than 91.

MB

I run 93 now.. Have 5 Star 93 performance tune in and a lot of Boostane left over from my Whippled Mustang.. Half a can to a full tank and 87 turns to 93.. Truck seems to be happy and I’m averaging 13.8mpg.

Yup honestly I use Costco fuel and their premium is so cheap it’s kind of whatever and I use it. It’s 91 but that’s as good as it gets in Cali. And it’s no more than 10% ethanol which is practically unavoidable in this state anymore. 0% does exist but it’s not the most simple to find these days.

Mostly out west you are going to see 91 octane for the highest. Out east since you have more humidity, the air density is different so 93 octane is available to make up for the difference.

Back