Anyone have a bakflip I have a question for you

Jhall244

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
So I’m looking at a bakflip or gator hard folding tonneau cover and I’m just wondering if I fold it up all the way does it touch the glass, rear brake light, or paint?

Also from the front of the the bed how much space do you end up losing when folded all the way up against the cab?

I like the idea but haul a full size quad in the bed quite often

So I found out that Linex sells a bakflip that is sprayed with linex. Pretty cool! They literally source from the same factory as the mx4 from what I’m told. It’s literally the same product but with the added linex spray. A local linex shop bought it for me and is installing tomorrow. My price with instal was about $1100.
52B3DEFB-1604-4C9E-AB91-9F57BAF60314.png

CDF24A4A-35F1-4F53-A8D9-60F4D376D77C.png

Last edited:
i have the F1 model and it rests on pads that rest on the glass. This is my second F1 cover. My first cover was used over the course of 9yrs for 2 150's. Great product imho.

Or, you can get a diamond back. The quad sits on top of the cover and you still have all the bed space underneath to securely stow other stuff.

Or, you can get a diamond back. The quad sits on top of the cover and you still have all the bed space underneath to securely stow other stuff.
You must have some crazy ramps to get the quad up there! Haha ?

You must have some crazy ramps to get the quad up there! Haha ?
Not really. They make different covers specifically for what you want to do (1 or 2 quads or SvS) and they come with foldable ramps that will stow in the bed.
I'm not trying to shill for them, it's just another option.

I have the Bakflip MX4. When it is fully folded and vertical, there are three foam pads that could all potentially touch the glass only. As it is, only the middle piece touches unless you really push the sides back hard before locking in place with the support rods. I’ve run mine several times now with it fully open and it doesn’t rub or vibrate or bang or leave any marks. I’m satisfied with its performance.

I have the bakflip MX4. I also had one for 3 years on my previous truck. I really like it. When it is folded up all the way, it rests against the glass with a soft rubber/foam spacer. There are also arms that lift up to lock it in place (not pictured). When it is up all the way, it takes up 5" from the top of the front of the bed which is 6" from the lower front of the bed. See picture. When you are loading your quad, you can easily remove the entire cover by simply unscrewing a thumb bolt on each side. I'm happy to help a fellow Tremor Brother if you have any other questions.
IMG_4686.jpeg
IMG_4687.jpeg
IMG_4688.jpeg
IMG_4689.jpeg

I have the bakflip MX4. I also had one for 3 years on my previous truck. I really like it. When it is folded up all the way, it rests against the glass with a soft rubber/foam spacer. There are also arms that lift up to lock it in place (not pictured). When it is up all the way, it takes up 5" from the top of the front of the bed which is 6" from the lower front of the bed. See picture. When you are loading your quad, you can easily remove the entire cover by simply unscrewing a thumb bolt on each side. I'm happy to help a fellow Tremor Brother if you have any other questions.
View attachment 15545View attachment 15546View attachment 15547View attachment 15548
Are your drain tubes in a custom location? I thought they were normally routed out the plugs near the bottom of the front bed wall. I like that your drain tubes are high and out of the way.

I bought the Undercover Ultimate specifically for this reason. When folded all the way up, it has struts to support it and doesn't touch the truck. In the picture below I only had one, but there's one on each side. I can take a better pic showing the gap if you want.
IMG_3465.jpeg

Are your drain tubes in a custom location? I thought they were normally routed out the plugs near the bottom of the front bed wall. I like that your drain tubes are high and out of the way.
On my last truck I drilled a hole in the plug down lower like the instruction say, but I didn't really like seeing those hoses. This time when I was installing it, I noticed there was already a factory hole in the side of the bed near the top of the drain, so I made a sharp 90° turn with the pipe and made it fit into the existing hole. So far I have only been rained on twice, but it seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks for the quick responses. I impulse bought a soft roll up cover the other day since that’s what I always had. It has not shipped it yet If I can I’m going to cancel and get this instead

FWIW The MX4 blocks about half of the bed camera. Looks like you would not be able to see a fifth wheel hitch for hookup very well, but could use it to keep track of the trailer itself while driving.

1611877817187.png

1611877870272.png

On my last truck I drilled a hole in the plug down lower like the instruction say, but I didn't really like seeing those hoses. This time when I was installing it, I noticed there was already a factory hole in the side of the bed near the top of the drain, so I made a sharp 90° turn with the pipe and made it fit into the existing hole. So far I have only been rained on twice, but it seems to be working perfectly.
I noticed the same thing during my installation. I hit the existing factory holes up top as well. 4 months and no leaks. ?

I noticed the same thing during my installation. I hit the existing factory holes up top as well. 4 months and no leaks. ?
This is one of the reasons I love this forum. Awesome tips, guys!

goose neck or 5th wheel is not a problem for me. I have a bumper pull toy hauler and do not have a camera up in my 3rd brake light. I'm really liking this cover, really don't lose much bed space than a roller by the time its all rolled up

So I decided to go look and see where that hole goes. I stuck a blue cord through the hole, and you can see it comes out into that “box”. I think the top of that box is where the plastic cap on the bed rails is. Is there any downside to having the drain tubes pour water into this area?
5586B0CE-EEB9-45C5-AE5F-400345E2D9A2.jpeg

So I decided to go look and see where that hole goes. I stuck a blue cord through the hole, and you can see it comes out into that “box”. I think the top of that box is where the plastic cap on the bed rails is. Is there any downside to having the drain tubes pour water into this area?
View attachment 15577
I left mine the full length and pulled them through the holes and then down along the side. (Mine is a 2020 and it looks similar to yours but possibly not identical. I had room to fit the drain tube somewhere through there) They drip straight down to the ground so I can’t see any issues arising from how I have them. It was a total PITA to get them pushed through and turned into the right place, but I’m very happy with how mine turned out. It’s dark and in the teens outside right now, but if I get a chance I’ll take a peek under mine later today and I’ll take a few shots of how i did mine.

I had a backflip before and a DB now and feel that the 2 covers are for totally different uses.

It’s light out, I had a few minutes, and it almost hit 20 here, so I crawled under my truck in the parking lot at work and took a few shots of what mine looks like. From what I could see @legmar, you were looking at the passenger side. From what I remember, the outward facing side of the “box” is open. This should allow you to push the tubing straight through until it hits the bed panel. At this point if your arms are long enough, reach up and help it make the turn towards the ground. If not use a coat hanger or something to fish it down. It helps to have a “pusher” and a “puller.” (I recruited my wife for assistance). You may notice I had cut this side short prior to establishing this game plan, but I would recommend leaving it long.
36F93F18-8EFA-41F9-849C-617A7E23A595.jpeg
17156CA8-AA17-4E4A-9293-5EA72B8F05CC.jpeg
2FBF1718-DA46-494A-B8BF-DCE41DBA278D.jpeg

The drivers side is similar but a little more complicated because the fuel and def filler box is in the way. Use the same technique but be sure to fish it as straight as possible around everything. It’s definitely important to leave it long so it will reach past the box and to the ground. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. It took me looking under there to jog my memory on the install. ???
34E8BD59-A05A-4C28-ADA0-25CA4C92CC9A.jpeg
B18B615D-6327-4812-9BC1-F39F772BE27D.jpeg
7B4E48F8-6C6F-4CEA-9F4C-7B4CB69A45C1.jpeg

Back