Anyone else's volume knob more of a suggestion than control?

BLACKCHERRY

Tremoraholic
TOTM Winner
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250, Tremor
Current Ride #2
2003 Ram 2500 HO
I try to adjust the volume in this truck and the latency is TERRIBLE. It will literally process a change for seconds before doing anything. Sometimes it makes the change, others it ignores, others it does half. I find myself over and under-correcting volume all the time as a result. Does the same thing when i adjust on the steering wheel.

Some other things that irritate me... the incoming call volume not being separate from the media volume... If i have the sounds low and a call comes in, it will ring it at the super-low volume then the volume knob latency takes a solid few seconds trying to dial in the callers voice-level to a workable volume.

I added a bunch of aftermarket goodies to the stereo but the issue seems to be with the factory head-unit/interface, not a result the ZEN module; that should be down-stream, right?

Anyone else have this issue? My electronic adjusting column tilt doesn't function so it needs to go to the dealer anyway but thought i'd see if this was common.

Nope.

Just out of curiosity -- have you tried not having your phone connected? Seems about on par with BT latency, makes me wonder if there's some kind of interaction between the phone and truck for volume control when it's connected.

I haven't had the depth of issues you are having. But every once in awhile my volume turns all the way up when my phone connects. It really scares me when a call comes in. Also, the BT connection will drop. The issues seem to go in phases. For months nothing will happen. Then for a week it gets buggy. I'm used to it now.

Nope.

Just out of curiosity -- have you tried not having your phone connected? Seems about on par with BT latency, makes me wonder if there's some kind of interaction between the phone and truck for volume control when it's connected.
Yeah, same thing, phone connected or not. The test i posted the video of is on XM radio, not bluetooth. That said, same issues without the phone connected.

Yeah, I went out and checked mine just to be sure -- since I don't listen to the radio much. No latency in actual volume reaction. If I change the volume fast enough in opposing directions eventually I'll see some latency, on occasion but not with any consistency, in terms of the screen display of volume but the actual volume itself reacts instantly regardless of any screen delay.

I tried with both FM and XM and both reacted the same, no latency in volume change but occasionally the display would lag.

Might try doing a reset (Settings->Reset->Master Reset)-- I know that's an immediate pisser but it's the first thing they're going to do if you take it to a dealer anyway.

I try to adjust the volume in this truck and the latency is TERRIBLE. It will literally process a change for seconds before doing anything. Sometimes it makes the change, others it ignores, others it does half. I find myself over and under-correcting volume all the time as a result. Does the same thing when i adjust on the steering wheel.

Some other things that irritate me... the incoming call volume not being separate from the media volume... If i have the sounds low and a call comes in, it will ring it at the super-low volume then the volume knob latency takes a solid few seconds trying to dial in the callers voice-level to a workable volume.

I added a bunch of aftermarket goodies to the stereo but the issue seems to be with the factory head-unit/interface, not a result the ZEN module; that should be down-stream, right?

Anyone else have this issue? My electronic adjusting column tilt doesn't function so it needs to go to the dealer anyway but thought i'd see if this was common.

I have the ZEN unit, and I have the same issues. Drives me insane. It didn’t seem this bad right after the install. It’s progressively gotten worse. My phone and audio volume is separate, but sometimes the stereo gets stuck on either phone or audio setting. The system doesn’t sound as good when it’s stuck on phone audio. It’s pretty frustrating actually. I’ve thought about rebooting the ZEN, just to see if that will do it, but I kind of don’t want to mess with it.

EDIT: just watched your video. Mine is worse

Last edited:
I have the ZEN unit, and I have the same issues. Drives me insane. It didn’t seem this bad right after the install. It’s progressively gotten worse. My phone and audio volume is separate, but sometimes the stereo gets stuck on either phone or audio setting. The system doesn’t sound as good when it’s stuck on phone audio. It’s pretty frustrating actually. I’ve thought about rebooting the ZEN, just to see if that will do it, but I kind of don’t want to mess with it.
Agreed - i don't remember this right after install...

Yeah, same thing, phone connected or not. The test i posted the video of is on XM radio, not bluetooth. That said, same issues without the phone connected.
I’m noticing a similar inconsistent behavior when using radio - fm or hd as they seem to call it. But for me its the tune knob, seems like theres a lag tunning stations. And not only that, my volume on local stations seems to go up and down on its own, i’m not sure if its signal strength related, but it is extremely annoying and weird when it does that.

Fully factory here and also haven't noticed these issues. Call volume is perfectly independent of media volume; volume knob and steering wheel buttons are super responsive, other than noticeable delay from next/back/play/pause when using wireless CarPlay. But that's because of the latency inherent to wireless CarPlay.

Looks exactly like mine - must be a ZEN thing. I'll ping them today.
Let me know if they have any thoughts. My navigations prompts also do not announce. The audio will dim, like its' gonna say something, but then nothing comes out.

Just talked to Bob (866-477-3336 ext: 106). He told me it's likely the ZEN needing an update. I told him I'd take it in and report! Once i have a minute to do this, I'll report back here.

Wife is driving the Tremor as her expedition is melting down so it may be a bit before i am able to get it to the shop but I'll circle back when i do.

Just curious. Maybe inferior chips? Given the chip shortage and all. It’s not like Ford hasn’t been building these rigs for a few years. The quality control issues are a concern. Price goes up/quality goes down. Typical in America today.

Just curious. Maybe inferior chips? Given the chip shortage and all. It’s not like Ford hasn’t been building these rigs for a few years. The quality control issues are a concern. Price goes up/quality goes down. Typical in America today.

I think that risk is anywhere in any electronic from vehicles to toasters. There's been articles abound of manufacturers buying other products to take apart and get certain chips out of.

Just searching for that real quick brought up an apparently recent article regarding this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just talked to Bob (866-477-3336 ext: 106). He told me it's likely the ZEN needing an update. I told him I'd take it in and report! Once i have a minute to do this, I'll report back here.

Wife is driving the Tremor as her expedition is melting down so it may be a bit before i am able to get it to the shop but I'll circle back when i do.
I’ll try to see if I can get this done as well, and we can see who reports back first to hopefully have good news

Back