Any recent resolution(s) to the microphone levels used when calling with Apple Carplay and Sync 4?

gmoon

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Encinitas CA, Lake Tahoe CA, Park City UT
Current Ride
2022 F350 Tremor w/ 50Ten Camper
Guys.. Im going crazy.

Are others here still struggling with microphone issues in their Tremor's when using Apple Carplay? I will easily take 20-30 phone calls a day from my truck (some work related, some personal) and people can NEVER hear me. I have now developed a habit where I opt for speaker instead of carplay when the phone is answered. Its a total pain in the a** and drives me mad, considering this truck had a sticker of $90k or more... I have been in $20k Kia rental cars with better quality calling. Local Ford dealer put the blame on apple.

I did a full reset on my Sync 4 system, and ensured it is the most updated it can be. Same with my iPhone. Truck is a Lariat Ultimate 2022.

Many thanks in advance from me, my clients, my employees, and my family.....

I've had intermittent issues with mine for about a year now. Sync 3 tho since mine is 2020 and I'm android as opposed to Apple. So you're not totally alone. I have noticed that it's only an issue with incoming calls, and only some of the time. If I switch it to speaker phone and back to the truck mic then it will work for that call. I never found anything on any of the forums that talks about resolving this.

This is a very easy fix. Get an Android and all your worries will disappear. I'm a fan of car play 🤪

I have a ‘22 Lariat Ultimate and have been one of the lucky ones with the OTA updates working. My system and iPhone 15 Pro are both fully updated. I used wired CarPlay every day and have not had any issues whatsoever. Even the noise cancellation seems better than my previous truck (non-scientific measurement based solely on input from my wife and coworkers).

My suspicion is you have a bad mic and the service advisor doesn’t know any better or want to deal with a fix as I’m sure that’s a pretty rare repair and their techs may not have much experience. Now, I admit I’m making a wild assumption there, but if you’ve updated your phone and reset sync, it’s likely not a software issue. Gain on a mic is primarily an analog function and not a digital function. My bet is this is hardware related.

I hope you find some resolution soon as I know this has to be more frustrating than you spelled out.

As @texrun50 has suggested I'd say it's the mic. I know we all want things to be covered under warranty, maybe price out the mic (lots of cheap OEM parts through Ford dealers), get the trouble shooting/service manual subscription foe under $25 for three days. Even if you just get the trouble shooting done yourself for $25 that might be cheap enough to answer any questions.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Im at the point where I truly dont care what it costs. Even if the mic was a few hundred $$$. Despite sounding a bit trivial, with how much work I do from behind the drivers seat, this mic thing is big problem. Plus not being hands free opens me up for tickets and/or an accident.

Ill try to stop by a dealer and get their take.

G

Back