Any reason to order high output alternator and/or dual batteries on 7.3?

ICT Tremor

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 KR Ultimate Tremor
I've pretty much finalized my Tremor build, and hoping to get it ordered in the next week or so. One item I'm struggling with is the HO alternator option(s) and the dual battery option. My primary need for a 1 ton truck like this is that I plan to eventually get a slide-in bed camper. Secondary is for pulling a snowmobile trailer very long distances in the winter. Will otherwise be a DD. No snow plow, or winch, or anything like that planned.

Can anyone advise me on whether I should pull the trigger on these relatively cheap options?

I wouldn't bother with that option myself,don't see any reason why you would need it imop.

why wouldn't you especially if you consider them relatively cheap. I would especially want one for the camper and accessories. sounds like you'll be using your truck a bunch and it would help IMHO.

It only cost's a $1 more for "shrimp" so why not! :ROFLMAO:

Get the dual battery and 397 amp dual alternators , it is cheap from the factory you will not regret it later
Agreed. It's such a small cost increase for having the options. I couldn't come up with any downside.

A long way down the road down side is having to replace 2 batteries and a little more complexity on a already complex electrical system. Both alternators are run off the same belt and second one is only supposed to change when extra draw is present so a failure on either will likely leave you dead in the water due to common belt. It is a small price adder but if not going to utilize the option the money may be better spent elsewhere.

Got mine to keep camper battery charged and still have enough power to keep the fridge cold during travel time

Yea can’t Hurt if you add lights later on you know bigger is better unless you need to save some money

Next time its -5 Degrees in Kansas you'll be glad you did!

I have a little different take, unless needing the extra alternator to run a large motor load like a winch or hydraulic pump or extended time on engine off accessories not going to see huge gains. As far as charging the camper batteries the charging circuit in the trailer plug is going to be the limiting factor. The extra 157 amps availability isn’t going to charge the trailer batteries any faster running down the road using factory installed trailer wiring since circuit is limited to 30A. To take advantage of extra amperage would need to add additional wiring to the trailer/camper. Modern LED lights really don’t draw much so unless trying to rival the sun with light and match truck price on lights or DB drag stereo system standard alt will support additional lights and small stereo upgrades no issues with engine running.

The option is very good choice if running a plow, heavy winch use, dump bodies, small body crane, Tommy lift, extended light use with engine off and such. Personally don’t like paying for things I don’t need especially since having to maintain 5 batteries in the boat and 2 in the cargo don’t want any extra batteries to maintain when not in use for the truck. I should buy stock in battery tender :ROFLMAO:. If sitting for long times in cold climates without a maintainer there is a advantage of additional reserve capacity to allow for longer unused time before there is not enough reserves left to start the truck.

To each their own and if it is what you want go for it. If planning on a heavy electric motor load or future proofing then definitely get it. Wthout large electric motor load or long sit times without battery tending (weeks+) standard alt and battery will work just fine. Ultimately it is your choice and what works best for me may not be the best for you but can make a informed decision.

I have a little different take, unless needing the extra alternator to run a large motor load like a winch or hydraulic pump or extended time on engine off accessories not going to see huge gains. As far as charging the camper batteries the charging circuit in the trailer plug is going to be the limiting factor. The extra 157 amps availability isn’t going to charge the trailer batteries any faster running down the road using factory installed trailer wiring since circuit is limited to 30A. To take advantage of extra amperage would need to add additional wiring to the trailer/camper. Modern LED lights really don’t draw much so unless trying to rival the sun with light and match truck price on lights or DB drag stereo system standard alt will support additional lights and small stereo upgrades no issues with engine running.

The option is very good choice if running a plow, heavy winch use, dump bodies, small body crane, Tommy lift, extended light use with engine off and such. Personally don’t like paying for things I don’t need especially since having to maintain 5 batteries in the boat and 2 in the cargo don’t want any extra batteries to maintain when not in use for the truck. I should buy stock in battery tender :ROFLMAO:. If sitting for long times in cold climates without a maintainer there is a advantage of additional reserve capacity to allow for longer unused time before there is not enough reserves left to start the truck.

To each their own and if it is what you want go for it. If planning on a heavy electric motor load or future proofing then definitely get it. Wthout large electric motor load or long sit times without battery tending (weeks+) standard alt and battery will work just fine. Ultimately it is your choice and what works best for me may not be the best for you but can make a informed decision.
I agree with you on the the amount of draw and amps. Especially with the modern LEDS.

The dual battery set up will last a long time and when you purchase the truck at or below invoice the options are also sold at invoice so its very economical. I am not concerned about the single drive belt, the serpentine belts are long lasting and reliable. so my .02 cents worth is to get the option.

I agree with you on the the amount of draw and amps. Especially with the modern LEDS.

The dual battery set up will last a long time and when you purchase the truck at or below invoice the options are also sold at invoice so its very economical. I am not concerned about the single drive belt, the serpentine belts are long lasting and reliable. so my .02 cents worth is to get the option.
The point I was trying to make on a single belt is not on belt life but the event of alternator failure you are still dead in the water since it cannot be isolated. I am a little biased since having had alternatornator bearing failures strand me more times than I care to count with both Ford an GM rigs. That may be a little extreme future looking, but if they didn’t have a common drive belt system I would have been all for it.

If not keeping the tuck froth a long time then I agree replacement is a mute point. Either setup should last 7 to 9 years if maintained well and not racking up the mileage quickly. Unfortunately heating cycles in the engine bay are a major factor in battery life so the additional battery won’t double the battery life but double the cost of replacement. The low initial up charge will increase maintenance cost later if keeping for the long run. If not than extra future costs don’t matter and go for the option.

I get what you are saying and not to disagree but here is my take.
either way is not right or wrong it just is what it is.

I'm on the 5 year truck plan ( unless something comes out that I just gotta have). At 5 years I have been doing extremely well with the diesel trucks ( all three Major brands). I pay more take awesome care and get premium price. Friend of mine does the same thing with Gassers, He pays less takes good care keeps them clean and gets premium price, only difference is the lower initial cost and then lower resale but they have been pretty much parallel. Except when the gas prices went over $3.50, then the diesel trucks did slightly better.

My point on the options, with the cost of these trucks today ( mine was 84K sticker) the used truck buyers wants options. So if you have a heavy optioned truck that is fair on the mileage and clean you have an advantage over a lower optioned truck. Especially when you can add the options at invoice not retail. Many of the options could not be installed later for what they charge up front for them. So if you're already spending a pile of cash on a Super Duty why not load it up with options?
I have personally sold my trucks private party with the exception of my last 2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 d max ( traded in on the Tremor). Most buyers liked the highly optioned 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. When you start listing all the features it gives them a WOW factor. When I give them the WOW factor I can get premium used truck prices without any objections, most of the time they just start handing me cash.

I get what you are saying and not to disagree but here is my take.
either way is not right or wrong it just is what it is.

I'm on the 5 year truck plan ( unless something comes out that I just gotta have). At 5 years I have been doing extremely well with the diesel trucks ( all three Major brands). I pay more take awesome care and get premium price. Friend of mine does the same thing with Gassers, He pays less takes good care keeps them clean and gets premium price, only difference is the lower initial cost and then lower resale but they have been pretty much parallel. Except when the gas prices went over $3.50, then the diesel trucks did slightly better.

My point on the options, with the cost of these trucks today ( mine was 84K sticker) the used truck buyers wants options. So if you have a heavy optioned truck that is fair on the mileage and clean you have an advantage over a lower optioned truck. Especially when you can add the options at invoice not retail. Many of the options could not be installed later for what they charge up front for them. So if you're already spending a pile of cash on a Super Duty why not load it up with options?
I have personally sold my trucks private party with the exception of my last 2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 d max ( traded in on the Tremor). Most buyers liked the highly optioned 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. When you start listing all the features it gives them a WOW factor. When I give them the WOW factor I can get premium used truck prices without any objections, most of the time they just start handing me cash.
Good point, I have not though of it from the next owner position. Around here if the truck is not beat to F usually have a easy time selling for good price, but could be different with more discerning buyers on something like this truck.

Adding shrimp for $1 is a 12% uprcharge. $325 for a stronger alternator/battery is only a .5% upcharge.
Having the extra juice while camping will be worth it alone. As technology advances, you'll inevitably pick up more devices and gadgets that require more power draw. Small cost to pay for futureproofing and resale value. From what I've seen from guys trying to add a winch after truck purchase, it's a headache upgrading the alternator & adding a 2nd battery.

Latest Discussions

Back