Andersen Ultimate Hitch vs Reese Goosebox

Mateo84

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Looking for opinions on these two 5th wheel options for use with a Tremor ... most concerned about bed height, rail clearance issues, bed cover rails, etc. I’ve searched through many threads here and haven’t found much on details for these setups.

If you have photos of your rig hooked up in the bed with either the Andersen UH or Goosebox PLEASE post them so we can see. ?

I have a 2020 F350 Tremor 6.7L and am about to purchase a 5th wheel ... trying to decide which of these connections would work best. Not gonna use a regular 5th wheel hitch because I need to use my truck bed regularly for other things and will spend 90% of my time NOT towing. Thanks!

No photos but I have the Andersen. Bed clearance isn't an issue with our Arctic Wolf 5er. Its nice having the 3 height adjustments on the hitch ball.

I don’t have either hitch yet; my truck is on order. My only experience is with traditional fifth-wheel hitches. My plan was to buy an Andersen hitch as my friends have them, but after further research and evaluating the ease of operations, I will be going with the Reese Goose Box. One may argue the Goose Box is a safer hitch in a collision scenario, based on some of the pictures and information online. After watching a ton of videos and reading the information available, I personally concluded the Goose Box is a superior option and definitely more convenient if one can absorb the additional costs. I want to be clear, there is nothing wrong with Andersen hitch and I personally would own one, but for the above reasons and personal added convenience, I will be purchasing the Goose Box.

If your trailer can take it, has anyone considered and/or tried the Gen-y Torsion Flex that converts from 5th wheel to gooseneck? It looks really promising to me. Otherwise I too would probably go with the Anderson for ease of removal vs typical heavy hitch.

If your trailer can take it, has anyone considered and/or tried the Gen-y Torsion Flex that converts from 5th wheel to gooseneck? It looks really promising to me. Otherwise I too would probably go with the Anderson for ease of removal vs typical heavy hitch.

I agree the Gen-Y hitch looks great and I considered it. The reason for me ruling it out was Lippert will only warranty the Reese Goose Box with their pin boxes. If warranty is not a consideration, it’s a strong contender.

I would like to see some photos of these.
Anderson has some good videos on their products.

I own an RV company, we will not sell the Anderson for insurance reasons. We do sell a ton of the Reese Goosebox. I have the Reese on my personal 5th wheel.

I own an RV company, we will not sell the Anderson for insurance reasons. We do sell a ton of the Reese Goosebox. I have the Reese on my personal 5th wheel.
Are those "insurance reasons" based on actual reported and viewed failures? If so, what happened? How about the Gen-Y hitch?

Are those "insurance reasons" based on actual reported and viewed failures? If so, what happened? How about the Gen-Y hitch?

Not exactly sure, I carry top notch insurance on my shop and mobile trucks. But here’s my take on it. You trailer is heavy and the hitch is made of steel, connects to a steel hitch that is bolted to a steel frame. So how they thought placing a lightweight aluminum structure between two heavy duty steel frames was a good idea is beyond me. After folks see that there is no hitch in the bed with the Reese it’s a no brainer. Plus it’s warrantied by the frame manufacture.

Not exactly sure, I carry top notch insurance on my shop and mobile trucks. But here’s my take on it. You trailer is heavy and the hitch is made of steel, connects to a steel hitch that is bolted to a steel frame. So how they thought placing a lightweight aluminum structure between two heavy duty steel frames was a good idea is beyond me. After folks see that there is no hitch in the bed with the Reese it’s a no brainer. Plus it’s warrantied by the frame manufacture.
Gotcha. I hadn't looked at the Reese Goose Box, it's kinda like the Gen-Y. It's great to have options. I don't have my trailer yet but have been looking at options to eliminate or minimize the 5th wheel hitch.

Do any trailers come with that goose box, maybe as an option?

Gotcha. I hadn't looked at the Reese Goose Box, it's kinda like the Gen-Y. It's great to have options. I don't have my trailer yet but have been looking at options to eliminate or minimize the 5th wheel hitch.

Do any trailers come with that goose box, maybe as an option?

No sir most dealers carry them and will install before delivery.

I was initially thinking I was going to have the RV dealer install the Reese Goosebox but I’m not sure about clearance issues, the need for a 4 inch offset ball, etc ... I have the OEM gooseneck prep package, so I don’t think an offset ball is an option (maybe I’m wrong on that?)

I was initially thinking I was going to have the RV dealer install the Reese Goosebox but I’m not sure about clearance issues, the need for a 4 inch offset ball, etc ... I have the OEM gooseneck prep package, so I don’t think an offset ball is an option (maybe I’m wrong on that?)

You can use the b&w offset ball with the Goosebox. Use them on the dodge mega cabs

My understanding was the B&W offset ball won’t work with Ford’s OEM gooseneck prep?
B&W makes one for the ford
My understanding was the B&W offset ball won’t work with Ford’s OEM gooseneck prep?
sorry we use those on the mega cabs, the 6.5 ford bed doesn’t need the offset

I have a Goose Box ordered... it’ll be here inside a week. I opted for it after reading all kinds of info.
[Pertaining to frame warranty,] Lippert approves the Goose Box (and not any of the others, like Gen Y, to my knowledge) and that tidbit is what tipped the scales towards Goose Box for me.
I’m planning to use the Goose Box in conjunction with a Reese (4”) offset ball using OEM gooseneck hitch to trail a Montana HC 305RL.
I’ll post pics & pass along info. as soon as it all arrives. Scheduled delivery of my Tremor to dealer is ~ first week of December.

I have a Goose Box ordered... it’ll be here inside a week. I opted for it after reading all kinds of info.
[Pertaining to frame warranty,] Lippert approves the Goose Box (and not any of the others, like Gen Y, to my knowledge) and that tidbit is what tipped the scales towards Goose Box for me.
I’m planning to use the Goose Box in conjunction with a Reese (4”) offset ball using OEM gooseneck hitch to trail a Montana HC 305RL.
I’ll post pics & pass along info. as soon as it all arrives. Scheduled delivery of my Tremor to dealer is ~ first week of December.
Do you have a link to the Reese 4” offset ball you are talking about? I don’t see that anywhere. All the links I find on eTrailer also state that there aren’t any offset gooseballs that fit the OEM hitch system.

I was mistaken on brand name....it’s Curt (not Reese)

Attachments

• 587F2CC2-FFC0-479C-B4CA-1AE9575A0702.png
    587F2CC2-FFC0-479C-B4CA-1AE9575A0702.png
    714.7 KB · Views: 102
I was mistaken on brand name....it’s Curt (not Reese)
I don't believe that's compatible with the OEM puck system. It works with the double lock Curt specific hitch only.

The OEM Puck doesn't use a pull bar to lock the ball in place which is also why you can't turn it over and store upside down.

This is what the ball looks like from Curt for OEM compatibility (it's round which is also why you can't get an offset ball because it would spin in place).

I am no expert, but have been strolling through Google info, and have heard some concerns about the Goosebox putting unintended strain on the frame of some 5th wheels, potentially voiding warranties. I wonder if there is any truth to that?

Ed

Back