Andersen 5th Wheel Hitch - 3220 vs 3217 (Taller)

MegaMcNally

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-250 Lariat Sport / Tremor
Looking at 5th wheel hitches, and for everyone that has the Andersen, did you install the 3220 or the taller 3217 on your Tremors? Would like to keep it short to stay under my tonneau cover, but also want to make sure there is plenty of clearance.

Man, I originally wanted one of these Andersen hitches when I was shopping for my 5th wheel. I had a couple of people mention horror stories about them. I did some searches and read about some pretty bad failures. I ended up getting the B&W companion slider hitch but really don't like how heavy it is. I like to have my bed space back when I'm not towing.

I am interested to hear what other Tremor owners say about the hitch.

I just keep my heavy slider in my shop. I have a skid loader with forks so I can lift that heavy beast in or out no troubles. It's heavy and I trust it going down the mountain grades at high speed. The puck system is awesome just turn 4 levers and its out or in.

My back flip fully closes over it too.

But YES i'ts a heavy bastard. But so is my 5th wheel

I just keep my heavy slider in my shop. I have a skid loader with forks so I can lift that heavy beast in or out no troubles. It's heavy and I trust it going down the mountain grades at high speed. The puck system is awesome just turn 4 levers and its out or in.

My back flip fully closes over it too.

But YES i'ts a heavy bastard. But so is my 5th wheel
My neighbor has a harbor friend engine hoist that looks perfect for reaching in the truck bed and hoisting it in and out. He said it was only like $150 bucks. Might be an option for me. It's too heavy for my wife to help me and I feel bad always asking a neighbor to help me lift it. I do love having the puck system though!

That's one of my options that I'm considering (the B&W), but I'm really trying to keep weight down since I effed up and bought the 250 and not the 350 LOL! Seriously though, the 5'er I'm buying has a 2,400 pound pin weight and my Tremor has a stated payload capacity of 2,700 +/- lbs. I really like the lightweight and ease of the Andersen, but am also looking at the Goosebox as well (way easier and nothing in the bed at all). I'm installing the B&W Turnover Ball system on Friday so there are a few different options. Everyone who has either the Andersen, Goosebox or Companion all seem to love them.

I just received my 3220. It’s sitting in my basement. And then I came across the 3217 (raised) hitch. Another member and I were just taking about this today on here.
we both talked to Anderson and we both got somewhat different answers.
the website states that the 3217 is for NEW 2020+ trucks with a bed rail height of 21.5 inches Or greater. The bed rail height in these trucks is just under that height. 21.1 I believe.
Anderson told me the new hitch was designed specifically because the new Chevy and GMC trucks have a deep bed and that I should be just fine with the 3220.
now the other member did have contact while making a u turn on an off chamber cul de sac. His pin box hit his bed cover rails. He decided that he’s now gonna get the 3217 so maybe you can buy his 3220

he also has his cupler block in the forward position because he wants all the cab clearance that he can get.

I had not heard about the Goosebox and just watched a few youtube videos on it. This has me rethinking my whole setup.

My buddy has a goose box and loves it. He did smack his cab once because he was getting close and the air bag on the goosebox absorbed some motion and it caused the trailer to move forward and make contact. Just keep that in mind because he had done multiple sharpe test turns and knew he had clearance. He didn’t think about the airbag allowing movement though

Man, I originally wanted one of these Andersen hitches when I was shopping for my 5th wheel. I had a couple of people mention horror stories about them. I did some searches and read about some pretty bad failures. I ended up getting the B&W companion slider hitch but really don't like how heavy it is. I like to have my bed space back when I'm not towing.

I am interested to hear what other Tremor owners say about the hitch.
Man i really wanted one of these hitches too but could not bring myself to buy an aluminum product for an almost 14k gvwr 5er. I went with the Demco Recon above bed. It's about 110lbs heavier than the anderson but it can come apart in 3 pieces which lightens the loading/unloading process in the truck.

I had not heard about the Goosebox and just watched a few youtube videos on it. This has me rethinking my whole setup.

Yeah, super convenient. However, I'm stuck on the increased leverage on the trailer frame caused by the gooseneck and although Lippert promises to warranty a frame issue if caused by the Goosebox, I'm still concerned about having to ever "deal" with it and the potentially ruined trip, down time and battling the claims process. I was 100% on board with this until I started thinking about it - now leaning toward the Andersen and using the $400 +/- cost savings toward airbags on the truck. But... having literally nothing in the bed when I pull up to the trailer to grab it and go is still tempting.

Yeah, super convenient. However, I'm stuck on the increased leverage on the trailer frame caused by the gooseneck and although Lippert promises to warranty a frame issue if caused by the Goosebox, I'm still concerned about having to ever "deal" with it and the potentially ruined trip, down time and battling the claims process. I was 100% on board with this until I started thinking about it - now leaning toward the Andersen and using the $400 +/- cost savings toward airbags on the truck. But... having literally nothing in the bed when I pull up to the trailer to grab it and go is still tempting.
The goosebox is a full pin box replacement which does not cause that leverage issue that you’re referring to.
the long downward tube style adaptors are the ones the create those leverage issues.
i remember seeing a video that really described it well

I am sure the 3217 will work just fine, but I use a 3220 with the ball in the middle position With my 2021 F250 tremor. I have 6-7 inches of clearance with my 21 Montana 295rl, about 12000 loaded, and reported 2300 lb pin weight. It’s smooth, easy to connect and disconnect, and back into my own property is the biggest turns I take, with no issues of the bed being crushed, or the cab hitting the 5er cap. I recommend using a rubber mat, nothing moves. I forgot to mention the puck system makes taking out all towing parts in about five minutes, and the truck didn’t squat like I thought it would, actually had a touch of rake.

I am sure the 3217 will work just fine, but I use a 3220 with the ball in the middle position With my 2021 F250 tremor. I have 6-7 inches of clearance with my 21 Montana 295rl, about 12000 loaded, and reported 2300 lb pin weight. It’s smooth, easy to connect and disconnect, and back into my own property is the biggest turns I take, with no issues of the bed being crushed, or the cab hitting the 5er cap. I recommend using a rubber mat, nothing moves. I forgot to mention the puck system makes taking out all towing parts in about five minutes, and the truck didn’t squat like I thought it would, actually had a touch of rake.
Did you buy the rubber mat from Anderson?

No, I just went to Amazon and bought a hard dense rubber mat for $25. I will buy there when I replace this one, the wait was too long. It’s a 36x42” mat, I just cut out a hole where the ball goes through.

Here is what the 3220 side bed and tailgate gap looks like with the ball set to the middle setting. It sits a little nose high, but still about six inches at the tailgate, as I parked into my spot at the lake, I was turned about 80 degrees. I was getting worried i was getting close to the cab so I got out and checked to see how close I was. I was surprised there was a fairly large gap, and it didn’t appear It could touch even if I turned to 90 degrees.

Attachments

• A16FAC6D-8663-47F6-B934-C169CC79C75D.jpeg
    A16FAC6D-8663-47F6-B934-C169CC79C75D.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 318
  • 08C36550-C9FE-4416-90A8-22260FAC70F2.jpeg
    08C36550-C9FE-4416-90A8-22260FAC70F2.jpeg
    730.1 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
I have it reversed I believe (set up to be further away from cab). I would be willing to bet you could turn it around and put the cap closer to the truck cab and be good up to 80 degrees. The truck drove nicely with it further away and at approximately 80 degrees there was almost a foot of space 10-12 inches of gap. the weight of 5er is 11400 empty, 2300lb pin empty, and I show the pic fully loaded and truck is nearly perfectly flat.

Last edited:
I have the ball in the most forward position. I would be will to bet you could turn it around and put the cap closer to the truck cab and be good up to 80 degrees, but truck drove nicely with it further away and at approximately 80 degrees there was almost a foot of space 10-12 inches of gap.
Awesome thanks. I ditched my pullrite auto slider for the Anderson, so I’m exited to tow with it
And to be honest, I’ve never been in a position where I’ve had to get to a 90 degree angle. It puts a lot of stress on the trailer axles with the twisting.

Back