HOT! Alternitave to the Ford Performance Winch at less than half the cost???

I received a 12,000 lbs Badlands winch for Christmas last year. I am torn between mounting it on a 2 inch receiver or inside the bumper. I would probably not use it more than a couple times a year, so cost is my primary driver. I can buy something like this or have a hitch mounted on the front. At 600, it is a no brainers to go with a hidden hitch like the eco. At 300, it makes the decision a little more challenging.

I have a 2nd 12k APEX winch here that I was thinking of using as a receiver mount winch as well. As for the front, I just love the clean look of the stock bumper install. I mean everyone has their own preference, I'm hoping we can get material costs down to get the end user prices down, I just don't see how it's possible right now as the prices of raw materials keep skyrocketing.

FYI...the Badland 12k is on sale this weekend for $529, 100 off the regular price! I just ordered online and shipping was $7, way worth it to not have to drive over there and probably buy something else I don't need.

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with that fairlead, I can't have that shiny silver on the front of my Lariat sport!

FYI...the Badland 12k is on sale this weekend for $529, 100 off the regular price! I just ordered online and shipping was $7, way worth it to not have to drive over there and probably buy something else I don't need.

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with that fairlead, I can't have that shiny silver on the front of my Lariat sport!

You can always powder coat it! They also sell anodized versions on Amazon as well.

10% off coupon from HF on the Apex winch.
E39F6A66-8E07-436B-8EF7-B09414625988.png

Has anyone bought the APEX mounting bracked and installed it. I have the Apex winch trying to decide if I go portable or mount to the front. I don't want to do a bumper swap but push comes to shove I may have too. I like the portable option but with my luck I forget to take the winch and need it.

I see a winch as an emergency tool, and there's nothing about anything Harbor Freight makes that screams 'This is gonna be great in an emergency.' They're the home of single-use tools.

That said, I hope you fare better than most.
Harbor Freight = made in China.

Unfortunately I can't spend $1500 on a WARN 12K winch although I would love too so hopefully this one will work for my needs. I want to mount it to the front but without spending another $2K on winch bumper, portable or the custom mounting plate that was built by someone on this forum ( I forgot their name) are my options. Starting to look like portable is my best option and I'll get the ECO-Hitch for the front. Anyone have other options? Would love to hear them.

Has anyone bought the APEX mounting bracked and installed it. I have the Apex winch trying to decide if I go portable or mount to the front. I don't want to do a bumper swap but push comes to shove I may have too. I like the portable option but with my luck I forget to take the winch and need it.
Yes I used Gorman Tech Services brackets that you weld. Need a qualified welder of course but the product fit and worked perfectly. Definitely get someone to help with install, moving the rely box was tricky but I see a video in this thread to help you with that. https://gormantechservices.com/winch/

I have the 7.3 so a bit more room under the hood. I have the dual battery set up so was able to mount the relay next to the battery box.

Attachments

• IMG_20211101_140949058.jpg
    IMG_20211101_140949058.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20211101_140902595_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211101_140902595_HDR.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20210925_174327698.jpg
    IMG_20210925_174327698.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20210925_104930395.jpg
    IMG_20210925_104930395.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Warn VR winches are made in China as well, other Warn winches are assembled in Oregon off of globally manufactured parts ( mostly china)
I tell people this all of the time...

I use an XBull 13k winch with synthetic line on my 4runner. I have ACTUALLY USED my winch several times - never had a single issue with performance or lack thereof. I've used it to self-recover and to pull others out. It was made in China from the same parts that Warn uses.

Very popular option in Australia where they wheel hard and reliability is paramount.

I know we love to claim something was MADE IN THE USA here, but that doesn't always equate to being the best. Stuff made in China can and often is of a very high, if not the highest level of quality. Maybe there is an economics argument as to why you should buy MADE IN THE USA, but I don't think there is a good quality or reliability argument anymore.

As a side note if you're looking for a truck to install on for a video or instructions, I'll be in Mesquite from Nov 4 - 6 for my son's soccer team. All of our matches are in the evening and I already planned on getting out to Vegas for family fun times one of those days. Would be happy to purchase the product and lend my truck for the install video. I can bring a Badlands Apex winch as well.

I do not have personal experience with this winch, but I do watch every episode of my fellow Utahn's YouTube channel Matt's Offroad Recovery. He uses a Badlands Apex in some pretty hairy situations, which gives me full confidence in this option. Just an option - if you are open to the idea and the schedule works for you let me know and we can figure something out.

I tell people this all of the time...

I use an XBull 13k winch with synthetic line on my 4runner. I have ACTUALLY USED my winch several times - never had a single issue with performance or lack thereof. I've used it to self-recover and to pull others out. It was made in China from the same parts that Warn uses.

Very popular option in Australia where they wheel hard and reliability is paramount.

I know we love to claim something was MADE IN THE USA here, but that doesn't always equate to being the best. Stuff made in China can and often is of a very high, if not the highest level of quality. Maybe there is an economics argument as to why you should buy MADE IN THE USA, but I don't think there is a good quality or reliability argument anymore.

As a side note if you're looking for a truck to install on for a video or instructions, I'll be in Mesquite from Nov 4 - 6 for my son's soccer team. All of our matches are in the evening and I already planned on getting out to Vegas for family fun times one of those days. Would be happy to purchase the product and lend my truck for the install video. I can bring a Badlands Apex winch as well.

I do not have personal experience with this winch, but I do watch every episode of my fellow Utahn's YouTube channel Matt's Offroad Recovery. He uses a Badlands Apex in some pretty hairy situations, which gives me full confidence in this option. Just an option - if you are open to the idea and the schedule works for you let me know and we can figure something out.

Well said Feel!

Feel free to send me a PM, im working all week but I have Saturday afternoon open.

I do not have personal experience with this winch, but I do watch every episode of my fellow Utahn's YouTube channel Matt's Offroad Recovery. He uses a Badlands Apex in some pretty hairy situations, which gives me full confidence in this option.
Also follow Matt's Offroad Recovery - fantastic channel - and the caveats I will give to his usage: he is usually operating in cell reception and, if it's a recovery where he believes he will need to rely on the winch, he seems to always have a second vehicle and winch present.

You're right, though, that he's worked it hard and it hasn't let him down yet. Just changes the calculus for me a bit if someone will be single vehicle, remote, and outside of cell reception expecting to rely on the winch.

Also follow Matt's Offroad Recovery - fantastic channel - and the caveats I will give to his usage: he is usually operating in cell reception and, if it's a recovery where he believes he will need to rely on the winch, he seems to always have a second vehicle and winch present.

You're right, though, that he's worked it hard and it hasn't let him down yet. Just changes the calculus for me a bit if someone will be single vehicle, remote, and outside of cell reception expecting to rely on the winch.

I am ALWAYS out alone. It's extremely rare that I have anyone with me. I've been a couple of hundred miles down terrible trails from the nearest electricity or cell service HUNDREDS of times. 100% trust my XBull.

I'm going to bet I've used that XBull or Matt has used his Apex Badlands more than most Tremor owners combined have used their Warns. Clearly I can't prove this, but I have a hunch..

I am ALWAYS out alone. It's extremely rare that I have anyone with me. I've been a couple of hundred miles down terrible trails from the nearest electricity or cell service HUNDREDS of times. 100% trust my XBull.

I'm going to bet I've used that XBull or Matt has used his Apex Badlands more than most Tremor owners combined have used their Warns. Clearly I can't prove this, but I have a hunch..
Completely agree on your hunch.

Back