Rock Taxi

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ Unlimited
I was looking at my window sticker, and as I may have mentioned before, I missed one thing on my order last year. I had intended to get dual alternators, but I missed that option on the order sheet. I also did not upgrade the single alternator.

What I am trying to figure out, is what amperage alternator I actually have, and to some degree even more importantly, does anyone know if I can just swap in a 397 Amp alternator in place of whatever I have?

I have a King Ranch, with upfitter switches, no rapid heat, gooseneck setup, heated and cooled seats, pretty much everything I could get except rapid heat. Does this mean I likely have the 200amp version?

Ed

I was looking at my window sticker, and as I may have mentioned before, I missed one thing on my order last year. I had intended to get dual alternators, but I missed that option on the order sheet. I also did not upgrade the single alternator.

What I am trying to figure out, is what amperage alternator I actually have, and to some degree even more importantly, does anyone know if I can just swap in a 397 Amp alternator in place of whatever I have?

I have a King Ranch, with upfitter switches, no rapid heat, gooseneck setup, heated and cooled seats, pretty much everything I could get except rapid heat. Does this mean I likely have the 200amp version?

Ed
My Lariat Ultimate also has just one.....and most of the options you listed. My sticker and the other reference sheet I saw seem to indicate our Alternaters are 240 AMP.

That is what I am coming up with too. The 397amp option seems to be the dual alternators, the same 240amp and an additional 157amp....

I could be mistaken though.

Ed

That is what I am coming up with too. The 397amp option seems to be the dual alternators, the same 240amp and an additional 157amp....

Ed
I think your right....It makes sense that you could swap in an aftermarket alternator, unless the second alternater sends it's output to a different place than the first one...(like the second Battery)

Ed
I would agree with you that the 397 is actually 2 separate alternators and not one(would be handy if they were both the same for repair reasons) It is the option I chose on my original build and when I opened the hood there were 2 next to each other(7.3) as well as a battery on each side of the engine bay. The 6.7 dual alternator setup has one on each side of the engine. I would think that the output of your single alternator is listed on the window sticker.

Quick alternator question. I'm going to order a 21 this week with the 7.3 and upfitter switches, what alternator does that come with and is it only a single battery? On my 17 F250 with the 6.2 and upfitter switches, you got you an "extra heavy duty alternator" and dual batteries. I assume that is not the case any longer?

Quick alternator question. I'm going to order a 21 this week with the 7.3 and upfitter switches, what alternator does that come with and is it only a single battery? On my 17 F250 with the 6.2 and upfitter switches, you got you an "extra heavy duty alternator" and dual batteries. I assume that is not the case any longer?
I think it varies on model and equipment, but it looks like on the 2020 7.3's, all get a 240 amp standard. See page 2 of the link below.

Ed

So if the original alt is 240 can you add the second one?

I have the 397 and they are buried in there

IMG_5765.jpeg
IMG_5763.jpeg

Decided to order it with the 397 amp alternator and dual batteries. For the price I couldn't pass it up.

Decided to order it with the 397 amp alternator and dual batteries. For the price I couldn't pass it up.
great move!

I have not talked to them yet, but it appears "American Power Systems" (APS) makes an aftermarket alternator solution for our trucks.

Single and Dual!

(563) 323 7994 Davenport IA

Seems like it would be a pretty big project to add another alternator. Any idea what the trucks use is without any add ons? Curious how much amperage is needed for little things like light bars. Are you adding an alternator more for things like plows and winches?

Think I may have gotten screwed with the weenie alternator. Need to confirm. Looks like a single unit, so probably the 240 Amp., although I don't know if the 397 Amp option, being 2 separate alternators, are colocated or separated in the engine compartment. Am being told by Ford that I probably can't upgrade and that therefore the winch is "not compatible with my vehicle." I'm more than pissed. How the heck does a platnum trim package not have all the bells and whistles? I didn't custom order my truck. I surfed the Ford inventory for incoming trucks until I found one and called the dealer and bought it while it was in transit before it ever touched the lot. My window sticker said Preferred Equipment package 713A. Anybody know what that means? The product tag on the alternator reads
LC3T-10300-AA
TN104211-1340
V4B1B 12V
The thought that I'm going to have to fulfill my winch quest with an aftermarket option pisses me off to no end. My previous rig had a Warn 16K Lb winch that was in perfect condition. I sold it with the truck thinking I was going to have the one that was designed for the Tremor. Also probably means a new front bumper. What are the implications for the cruise control radar if I go to an aftermarket bumper?
To add insult to injury, i've been trying to solve for this since I got the truck in October, and only now am i starting to get some answers.

You would need the order 67B for dual alternator/397 amps on your build. It is not easy to see either of the alternators if your are looking in to the diesel motors compartment. And the dual alternator on a gas engine requires dual batteries also I believe (just reading an order guide from 2020) so that may be a clue.

That being said you should be able to buy the winch, they probably won't install it for you. Install it yourself or take it to an off road shop. I would be really surprised if a dealer didn't sell you a $3000 part because they knew you would install it on a vehicle with a small alternator. If that dealer doesn't sell then find one online or call around.

Also if you don't have the dual alternator it should be fine to run the winch. You would only notice problems at full load for long or multiple periods in a row. You can always add dual batteries. And there are after market alternator kits. The dual battery setup would be more valuable for a winch then a larger alternator in my opinion.

Think I may have gotten screwed with the weenie alternator. Need to confirm. Looks like a single unit, so probably the 240 Amp., although I don't know if the 397 Amp option, being 2 separate alternators, are colocated or separated in the engine compartment. Am being told by Ford that I probably can't upgrade and that therefore the winch is "not compatible with my vehicle." I'm more than pissed. How the heck does a platnum trim package not have all the bells and whistles? I didn't custom order my truck. I surfed the Ford inventory for incoming trucks until I found one and called the dealer and bought it while it was in transit before it ever touched the lot. My window sticker said Preferred Equipment package 713A. Anybody know what that means? The product tag on the alternator reads
LC3T-10300-AA
TN104211-1340
V4B1B 12V
The thought that I'm going to have to fulfill my winch quest with an aftermarket option pisses me off to no end. My previous rig had a Warn 16K Lb winch that was in perfect condition. I sold it with the truck thinking I was going to have the one that was designed for the Tremor. Also probably means a new front bumper. What are the implications for the cruise control radar if I go to an aftermarket bumper?
To add insult to injury, i've been trying to solve for this since I got the truck in October, and only now am i starting to get some answers.
Someone else on the forum (forget where) had their dealer quote installing the winch and upgrading to dual alternators at the same time.

Wasn’t cheap, but it sounded to me like the upgrade was possible. Might be worth calling another dealer about the possibility of upgrading to dual alternators?

Someone else on the forum (forget where) had their dealer quote installing the winch and upgrading to dual alternators at the same time.

Wasn’t cheap, but it sounded to me like the upgrade was possible. Might be worth calling another dealer about the possibility of upgrading to dual alternators?
Thanks. I think I already found the reference you are remembering. His dealer said he needed a pulley, water pump and serpentine. Looks to me like a new bracket is needed too. I told my dealer to just order the damn winch and do the install and that I'd buy an aftermarket high output alternator to put in the existing spot where the 240 is. I did some additional research. The amp draw on that winch when pulling the weight of the truck is about 340 and about 470 at full load (12K). The solution is aftermarket high output alternator and upgrade batteries to ones that can more fully recover after a deep draw. In the end probably less money and hassle than trying to get a dealer to do the dual alternator upgrade. Only open question i have left of my dealer now is what is the implication for my warranty when I put in a higher output alternator. we'll see.

Reactions: ccw
Thanks. I think I already found the reference you are remembering. His dealer said he needed a pulley, water pump and serpentine. Looks to me like a new bracket is needed too. I told my dealer to just order the damn winch and do the install and that I'd buy an aftermarket high output alternator to put in the existing spot where the 240 is. I did some additional research. The amp draw on that winch when pulling the weight of the truck is about 340 and about 470 at full load (12K). The solution is aftermarket high output alternator and upgrade batteries to ones that can more fully recover after a deep draw. In the end probably less money and hassle than trying to get a dealer to do the dual alternator upgrade. Only open question i have left of my dealer now is what is the implication for my warranty when I put in a higher output alternator. we'll see.
Nice, good to hear you have a plan.

By law the aftermarket alternator can’t void your warranty at all. Could be a hassle point should something go wrong electrically in the future, but legally Ford has to prove the aftermarket alternator caused the issue to deny the warranty claim.

Nice, good to hear you have a plan.

By law the aftermarket alternator can’t void your warranty at all. Could be a hassle point should something go wrong electrically in the future, but legally Ford has to prove the aftermarket alternator caused the issue to deny the warranty claim.
Thanks. Thats really encouraging to hear. That's what I figured too. I've always built up every vehicle I have owned, and never had warranty issues. I don't plan to use the winch often, but I'd always rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Sooner or later it will get used. They always do.

Back