Alternators

Rock Taxi

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 and 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I was looking at my window sticker, and as I may have mentioned before, I missed one thing on my order last year. I had intended to get dual alternators, but I missed that option on the order sheet. I also did not upgrade the single alternator.

What I am trying to figure out, is what amperage alternator I actually have, and to some degree even more importantly, does anyone know if I can just swap in a 397 Amp alternator in place of whatever I have?

I have a King Ranch, with upfitter switches, no rapid heat, gooseneck setup, heated and cooled seats, pretty much everything I could get except rapid heat. Does this mean I likely have the 200amp version?

Ed

davidb1841

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Miltary
USAF Ret
Current Ride
2020 Ford F250 Tremor Velocity Blue
Current Ride #2
2019 Ford Edge SEL
I was looking at my window sticker, and as I may have mentioned before, I missed one thing on my order last year. I had intended to get dual alternators, but I missed that option on the order sheet. I also did not upgrade the single alternator.

What I am trying to figure out, is what amperage alternator I actually have, and to some degree even more importantly, does anyone know if I can just swap in a 397 Amp alternator in place of whatever I have?

I have a King Ranch, with upfitter switches, no rapid heat, gooseneck setup, heated and cooled seats, pretty much everything I could get except rapid heat. Does this mean I likely have the 200amp version?

Ed
My Lariat Ultimate also has just one.....and most of the options you listed. My sticker and the other reference sheet I saw seem to indicate our Alternaters are 240 AMP.

OP
Rock Taxi

Rock Taxi

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
That is what I am coming up with too. The 397amp option seems to be the dual alternators, the same 240amp and an additional 157amp....

I could be mistaken though.

Ed

davidb1841

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Miltary
USAF Ret
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
2019 Ford Edge SEL
That is what I am coming up with too. The 397amp option seems to be the dual alternators, the same 240amp and an additional 157amp....

Ed
I think your right....It makes sense that you could swap in an aftermarket alternator, unless the second alternater sends it's output to a different place than the first one...(like the second Battery)

LGTremor

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Tremor

Ed
I would agree with you that the 397 is actually 2 separate alternators and not one(would be handy if they were both the same for repair reasons) It is the option I chose on my original build and when I opened the hood there were 2 next to each other(7.3) as well as a battery on each side of the engine bay. The 6.7 dual alternator setup has one on each side of the engine. I would think that the output of your single alternator is listed on the window sticker.

bgmspd

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2017 F250 CCSB
First Responder
Retired
Quick alternator question. I'm going to order a 21 this week with the 7.3 and upfitter switches, what alternator does that come with and is it only a single battery? On my 17 F250 with the 6.2 and upfitter switches, you got you an "extra heavy duty alternator" and dual batteries. I assume that is not the case any longer?

OP
Rock Taxi

Rock Taxi

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
Quick alternator question. I'm going to order a 21 this week with the 7.3 and upfitter switches, what alternator does that come with and is it only a single battery? On my 17 F250 with the 6.2 and upfitter switches, you got you an "extra heavy duty alternator" and dual batteries. I assume that is not the case any longer?
I think it varies on model and equipment, but it looks like on the 2020 7.3's, all get a 240 amp standard. See page 2 of the link below.

Ed

PapaRaptor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Blue Truck
Current Ride #2
Bigger Blue Truck
So if the original alt is 240 can you add the second one?

I have the 397 and they are buried in there

bgmspd

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2017 F250 CCSB
First Responder
Retired
Decided to order it with the 397 amp alternator and dual batteries. For the price I couldn't pass it up.

davidb1841

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Miltary
USAF Ret
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
2019 Ford Edge SEL
I have not talked to them yet, but it appears "American Power Systems" (APS) makes an aftermarket alternator solution for our trucks.

Single and Dual!

(563) 323 7994 Davenport IA

ddowney

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Miltary
US Navy
Current Ride
'20 F350 Lariat Tremor
Seems like it would be a pretty big project to add another alternator. Any idea what the trucks use is without any add ons? Curious how much amperage is needed for little things like light bars. Are you adding an alternator more for things like plows and winches?

Latest Discussions

Ford Tremor Supporting Member Badge