Air filters

Bullitt

Tremor Fanatic
Current Ride
2020 ford super duty f350 lariat tremor/ sport
What is everyone’s opinions on air filters? Some say the factory flow enough air and are fine. Aftermarket says their drop in flows and filters more? Best ones? Oiled or dry?

I have not seen any available yet for the 7.3 but they might be the same as the 6.2? The exhaust is the same on the two, so it makes sense that the air intakes would be the same.

I have used K&N oiled before and never had a problem with them. I have also read where the oil sometimes messes with the air flow sensor. I also noticed AFE is pretty popular as well as K&N .

I live where there are dirt roads and sometimes turn very dusty. For this reason alone I would want the best air filter system. Any thing questionable would be a no go for sure!

What do you guys think? Mess with it or leave it alone?

Walnutz

Tremor Fanatic
Current Ride
2020 7.3L Lariat sport
I do plan an a cold air intake when a good one comes out. Pretty sure it will gain some extra HP and also make the MBRP sound even better.

PapaRaptor

Founding Member
Current Ride
F350 Tremor 6.7 Lariat sport
I have experienced problems with the K& N Filters with Cummins turbos. Had several turbos go bad and when I switched back to the stock dry media ( paper ) no more problems. If I had a 7.3 I may consider one, but no way I will use one on my 6.7 I did like the noise from the turbo when you run the K&N.

Rock Taxi

Founding Member
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 and 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I had a K&N on my rock crawler buggy with an LS7. Constantly had oil residue on my MAF. Maybe I over-oiled it, but at this point for everything I own, I like paper filters because if it, and change them sooner than prescribed to be safe (every oil change).

Ed

usafrcm90

Tremor Buff
Miltary
Air Force
Current Ride
7.3 Tremor
Current Ride #2
SN95 awaiting 7.3 swap
I had a K&N on my rock crawler buggy with an LS7. Constantly had oil residue on my MAF. Maybe I over-oiled it, but at this point for everything I own, I like paper filters because if it, and change them sooner than prescribed to be safe (every oil change).

Ed
A rock crawler with an ls7!?!

I agree about the paper element vs an oiled element. The power gain should be from the MAF tube from the air box to the throttle body.

Ford Tremor Supporting Member Badge