Air Filters for cabin and motor - Wildfire & smoke related

ShiverMeTimbers

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 7.3 Tremor Lariat, Magnetic w/chrooome
Current Ride #2
Duckworth XL 30
Hi all, with the wildfires and smoke all over the west, I've been wondering what the specs are for both the interior/cabin air filter and the motor's air filter.

I tried looking but couldn't find anything about micron filtering size, particulates removed, etc. I did see something about "Class W" filter but I couldn't find a chart showing what that means.

If we drive in smoke, its likely a good idea to change the air filter soon afterwards, yes?

Hi all, with the wildfires and smoke all over the west, I've been wondering what the specs are for both the interior/cabin air filter and the motor's air filter.

I tried looking but couldn't find anything about micron filtering size, particulates removed, etc. I did see something about "Class W" filter but I couldn't find a chart showing what that means.

If we drive in smoke, its likely a good idea to change the air filter soon afterwards, yes?
Well you sure are close to me, I'm in Lakebay/Key center area.

Last edited:
Howdy neighbor!

Found this on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Automotive-6081C-Cabin-Filter/dp/B07M8J9LND

Bosch HEPA air filter. https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/filters/hepa-cabin-filters?partID=6081C

They are backordered on Amazon. I'm ordering it today, will see when it shows up, probably after the fires are over.

Did this work out for you?

The winds in NorCal last night reminded me that the fires will be here any day now.

Wife's car has built in PM2.5 and activated carbon filter. Literal lifesaver during fire season.

Possible to get that kind of filtration in our Tremor's?

I didn't buy them at the time, but I should. Its time to replace the cabin filter anyway before we take our x-country trip this summer. Thanksf for the reminder!

Unfortunately I don’t think these will be ideal for wildfire smoke.

They should capture the harmful particulates but will not filter the odors or chemical vapors.

Still trying to find one for our trucks that adds activated carbon or some other proven odor control.

Unfortunately I don’t think these will be ideal for wildfire smoke.

They should capture the harmful particulates but will not filter the odors or chemical vapors.

Still trying to find one for our trucks that adds activated carbon or some other proven odor control.

Welp, smoke season is upon us.

E6K7_BWWUAYoAD7.jpeg

I ended up ordering two of the Bosch HEPA filters (Part #6081C, ~$19 from Advanced Auto), as well as two MicroGard HEPA/Carbon filters (Part #4107HP, ~$25 from O'Reilly Auto).

I ordered both because Bosch publishes filtration effectiveness specs, while MicroGard seemingly does not (so I'm skeptical.) However, the Bosch does not contain activated carbon so may be ineffective at filtering odors, whereas the MicroGard should be able to filter odors just fine. I'll give the Bosch a whirl first and report back. And it turns out that these part numbers also fit my wife's Volvo XC90, which has a built-in cabin air quality sensor. So I should be able to get a decent sense of performance running them in that.

In my research I learned that the Ford OEM filter is shockingly bad: filtering down to only 10 microns, and is only 90% effective at that. By contrast, the Bosch filters down to 0.3 microns, and is 99.97% effective at that (HEPA.)

Most air pollution, including wildfire smoke and vehicle exhaust, contains particles of at least 2.5 microns on average. Meaning, with our OEM filters, we're effectively huffing exhaust every time we're in traffic.

Welp, smoke season is upon us.

View attachment 27845

I ended up ordering two of the Bosch HEPA filters (Part #6081C, ~$19 from Advanced Auto), as well as two MicroGard HEPA/Carbon filters (Part #4107HP, ~$25 from O'Reilly Auto).

I ordered both because Bosch publishes filtration effectiveness specs, while MicroGard seemingly does not (so I'm skeptical.) However, the Bosch does not contain activated carbon so may be ineffective at filtering odors, whereas the MicroGard should be able to filter odors just fine. I'll give the Bosch a whirl first and report back. And it turns out that these part numbers also fit my wife's Volvo XC90, which has a built-in cabin air quality sensor. So I should be able to get a decent sense of performance running them in that.

In my research I learned that the Ford OEM filter is shockingly bad: filtering down to only 10 microns, and is only 90% effective at that. By contrast, the Bosch filters down to 0.3 microns, and is 99.97% effective at that (HEPA.)

Most air pollution, including wildfire smoke and vehicle exhaust, contains particles of at least 2.5 microns on average. Meaning, with our OEM filters, we're effectively huffing exhaust every time we're in traffic.
Thanks for the part numbers! Following along for the results.

Honestly, I’ll ultimately be happy to have a cabin air filter at all in the new truck. 2009 F-150 doesn’t have one. One time had to open my windows to let the dust out because I cranked the A/C and blinded myself with the dust that came out of the vents. :ROFLMAO: (Was following someone on very dusty forest roads.)

I have these in all my trucks and cars and they are Medical grade HEPA13 filters

I have these in all my trucks and cars and they are Medical grade HEPA13 filters

How much do these restrict airflow? Only reason I havent upgraded my house filter.

That's neat. I like the idea of extra redundancy. Especially if we have another smoke event like last year. Is it quiet?

How much do these restrict airflow? Only reason I havent upgraded my house filter.

The things Cackalacky posted are an in-cabin air purifier system.

The things I posted are cabin air filter replacements. They will restrict airflow (reducing air conditioning performance) somewhat. A fine tradeoff, IMO. The health effects of vehicle pollution and wildfire smoke are chilling enough.

Better than OEM. Plus I don't live in Firenation commiefornia.

I don’t know why you had to go there. Communism is very different than what we have in California.

Also, I’m from the Austin area. Texas has its own problems. Many similar.

And fire/smoke is increasingly sparing none of us. In fact there is more smoke pollution over Central Texas today than the Bay Area.

And central Texas is going to look like Southern Oregon in the very near future.

But wildfire and political propaganda aside, Central Texas also has an order of magnitude more traffic and auto pollution than where I spend my time. You’d be wise to filter that out, especially for no perceptible trade off. But you do you.

Back