Air Filter

TxTremor

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Does any one use a different air filter other than OEM? I have seen AFE Pro Dry series but wondering if there is any benefit other than being reusable? Not looking for a CAI or K&N type filter just wondering if there is anything else to consider other than OEM. Thanks

Interesting...
I just bough an S&B (dry) for my 6.7 but haven't installed yet. This test makes me think my engine will explode due to contaminates :(

Factory for me, I have the 6.7. No way I trust any of the others.
I have always been a fan of wix filters in the past, and this test confirms my reasoning.

Looking at S&B's (obviously biased) tests, they say they're better than stock for filtration, but I'm starting to second guess this now.

TESTS ^

Aren't these direct injected anyway, so wouldn't any air contaminates by-pass the fuel system, i.e., injectors.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have always been a fan of wix filters in the past, and this test confirms my reasoning.

Looking at S&B's (obviously biased) tests, they say they're better than stock for filtration, but I'm starting to second guess this now.

TESTS ^

Thoughts?
I will stick with the Ford still

I had a turbo fail and had a K&N filter. The dealership asked me if I still had the factory filter and I brought it in. They claimed a new turbo ( parts and labor) on the factory warranty. All repairs were N/C to me. They told me not to run the aftermarket and they could have denied the warranty claim. So to me its not worth it. They are all over 99.% so it's just a fraction better, Very doubtful you would see any performance enhancement , plus on the 6.7 what goes in affects the computer and will affect how it communicates information to the rest of the system. I am not going to upset the balance of it.

The cool thing is everybody has there own trucks and can do with them as they choose. Just letting you know may thoughts on it and since I had a turbo failure story, I would share it. Probably more often than not you won't have any troubles. It's up to you to decide the risk /reward.

I will stick with the Ford still

I had a turbo fail and had a K&N filter. The dealership asked me if I still had the factory filter and I brought it in. They claimed a new turbo ( parts and labor) on the factory warranty. All repairs were N/C to me. They told me not to run the aftermarket and they could have denied the warranty claim. So to me its not worth it. They are all over 99.% so it's just a fraction better, Very doubtful you would see any performance enhancement , plus on the 6.7 what goes in affects the computer and will affect how it communicates information to the rest of the system. I am not going to upset the balance of it.

The cool thing is everybody has there own trucks and can do with them as they choose. Just letting you know may thoughts on it and since I had a turbo failure story, I would share it. Probably more often than not you won't have any troubles. It's up to you to decide the risk /reward.
Thanks for the info

@PapaRaptor Lol this was a thread in the 7.3L forum... looks like we accidentally hijacked it..
You diesel guys are always hijacking our 7.3 threads ?. But really thanks for the info, both engines need to breathe so experience with either is helpful. I used to run k&n but after researching more about them I moved away and just been using factory. I have used car quest filters at times since I have an account there for my expedition. Filters look identical to oem and are made in the USA so thought they might be good too, just seeing what else might be out there I have not heard of yet. Thanks for the response guys.

Don't bother unless you find something with a completely new plenum profile that actually gathers more clean air. I've seen dyno tests with and without (free flow) air filters and didn't make a darn bit of difference. Changing an element in the stock box does nothing and could actually restrict your flow more.

I'm swapping out the OEM air intake for the AFE Cold Air Intake which uses the AFE Filter; I chose the oiled option over the dry element. I'm doing the swap tomorrow and will report back when I have enough notable info to share.

MB

@PapaRaptor Lol this was a thread in the 7.3L forum... looks like we accidentally hijacked it..
Ok for the record if I had the 7.3 I would probably get an aftermarket

to go with a custom exhaust and a special tune from Lund Racing.

Ok for the record if I had the 7.3 I would probably get an aftermarket

to go with a custom exhaust and a special tune from Lund Racing.
I'm a convert from diesel and it sounds to me you're cut out to be a 7.3 guy. :ROFLMAO:

MB

I'm a convert from diesel and it sounds to me you're cut out to be a 7.3 guy. :ROFLMAO:

MB
Honestly I came from a 2015 diesel and it wasn't that bad, so I did not hesitate to get the 6.7. Now that I have it, ( love it no troubles ) I am concerned about all the added emissions since 2015. There are a lot more than I would have considered . The good news is I trade 3-5 years so, it will be an SEP ( someone else's problem). I have heavy trailers and my 5 th wheel so needed the 6.7. I will have a tough decision to make next time.

Honestly I came from a 2015 diesel and it wasn't that bad, so I did not hesitate to get the 6.7. Now that I have it, ( love it no troubles ) I am concerned about all the added emissions since 2015. There are a lot more than I would have considered . The good news is I trade 3-5 years so, it will be an SEP ( someone else's problem). I have heavy trailers and my 5 th wheel so needed the 6.7. I will have a tough decision to make next time.
I hear ya. All but one of my diesels were pre-DEF, loved them, but the DEF and added emissions really turned me off. In early "TREMOR planning," I was leaning toward the 6.7 with plans to delete the stuff I didn't like, but as I researched the 7.3, I was intrigued by the ability to "hot-rod" it and I've enjoyed gathering the parts. The other part is, I don't tow what I used to tow, so I don't feel I've lost anything by going 7.3. Both the 6.7 and 7.3 are incredibly well executed engines, I just get to re-live my hot rod days in something other than my '19 H-D.

MB

Last edited:
At least in 3-5 years we will have a good idea about the resale and reliability of the 7.3 and how it really stacks up to the 6.7. Who knows maybe all us 7.3 guys will be jumping to the 6.7 :D

I'm swapping out the OEM air intake for the AFE Cold Air Intake which uses the AFE Filter; I chose the oiled option over the dry element. I'm doing the swap tomorrow and will report back when I have enough notable info to share.

MB
I’ve been looking for a aftermarket intake what is the difference between the oiled & dry, and with the 7.3 does it matter What one ??

Does any one use a different air filter other than OEM? I have seen AFE Pro Dry series but wondering if there is any benefit other than being reusable? Not looking for a CAI or K&N type filter just wondering if there is anything else to consider other than OEM. Thanks
I am using AFE non oiled.....working great....5000 miles so far......performance gains ????....doing no harm YES

I’ve been looking for a aftermarket intake what is the difference between the oiled & dry, and with the 7.3 does it matter What one ??
I believe it matters, although I have no data as it relates to the 7.3; my experience comes from dyno-tuned-big-inch Harley engines. The numbers have shown that the oiled filter flows better than non-oiled, but this was restricted to the filters I've tried. I have no comparison of the AFE Oiled VS Non-Oiled.

A good test, with the AFE Cold Air Intake I'm installing, would be to compare dyno numbers of Oiled VS Non-Oiled, but out-of-the-gate, I had no reason to not go with the Oiled.

Hope this helps.

MB

Back