AIr compressor

ARB twin here. Something I didn’t expect, the air outlet gets hot AF, which is normal for these but pay attention to the hoses you put on or hardline to a tank.
C69C58D7-1235-49BB-A12F-29163475384E.jpeg
44225688-F9B4-4500-8042-8B9BC871B769.jpeg

I’ve never see. A setup in the engine bay. Will that Fit a F-250 or F-350 Diesel?
It’s in a F350 gasser with a single battery so lots of room in the engine bay. I “upcycled” a bracket from a Jeep side step bracket.

ARB twin on the Tremor. Add an air tank! Many threads on this.

I have the single on my Jeep its ok but with a larger electrical system the twin would be great. The single will air up my 35 x 12.50s no problem without a tank.

I have a VIAIR on another vehicle it is noisy and runs very hot I would not recommend that brand

ARB twin here. Something I didn’t expect, the air outlet gets hot AF, which is normal for these but pay attention to the hoses you put on or hardline to a tank.
What's the advantage of running it under the hood? If you are using upfitter switches, can't it be down on the frame?

I'm planning on the VIAIR Medium Duty. https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-Medium-Duty-Onboard-System/dp/B000X9RX3A

Mount the tank on the frame, under the pass side (lots of forum posts on how). Compressor in the bed of the truck (probably on the pass side, front of the wheel well). Will be used for air horn, bike tire fills, and truck tire pressure ups. I don't plan to do heavy offroading or much with dropping the pressure too low, so don't need the run time to put 20+ PSI in every tire quickly.

FYI, ARB recommends never mounting their compressors under the hood. It gets too hot and will cause premature failure. They told me their compressors are completely waterproof so it is safe to mount them on the frame, under the body, above the spare tire, etc. Anywhere but under the hood where it's hot.

FYI, ARB recommends never mounting their compressors under the hood. It gets too hot and will cause premature failure. They told me their compressors are completely waterproof so it is safe to mount them on the frame, under the body, above the spare tire, etc. Anywhere but under the hood where it's hot.
From the ARB website

04464ADC-8247-4EC2-9217-DD4E57A0A0C6.png

Despite what this document says "under bonnets" I've talked to two different people at ARB, about a year apart when dealing with a failed compressor for a friend, and both of them said they have a significantly higher rate of failure from mounting these under the hood. The one guy said they were actually having an internal meeting about what to do about all of the aftermarket manufacturers making mounting brackets to put these under the hood of Jeeps because of the high rate of failure it was causing. He literally said mount it anywhere I want except under the hood. Mine ended up under the passenger seat of my Jeep.

Despite what this document says "under bonnets" I've talked to two different people at ARB, about a year apart when dealing with a failed compressor for a friend, and both of them said they have a significantly higher rate of failure from mounting these under the hood. The one guy said they were actually having an internal meeting about what to do about all of the aftermarket manufacturers making mounting brackets to put these under the hood of Jeeps because of the high rate of failure it was causing. He literally said mount it anywhere I want except under the hood. Mine ended up under the passenger seat of my Jeep.
It makes sense what you say. Sounds like a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing

Would an ARB twin supply enough air to use a blow nozzle without a tank?
Not really. You need a small tank. Even with a small tank, you only get a couple second burst of high pressure, then it has to recharge for a few seconds before you get high pressure again. I have the ARB portable twin (that includes a small tank) I keep in my trailer and the ARB twin in my Jeep (no tank). You can use a blow nozzle with them for quick fixes, but it's not ideal.

What's the advantage of running it under the hood? If you are using upfitter switches, can't it be down on the frame?
Because I wanted to…. 😂

In reality, it’s because it was easiest in terms of what I wanted to do. The power harness was a perfect fit to run across the top of the firewall without having to run more wire. Also the ease of access to the upfitter switch wires. The ONLY things I really plan to use it for are airing up tires and then to blow out my camper water lines during late/early season camping. When running, the hood will be up and the air intake will be right at the top of the hood line. I’m not using it to run air tools or air lockers so a tank is not needed.

And, in reality, I’ve seen most mounted under the hood in Jeep applications so that’s where I put it. I didn’t even think about mounting under the frame and I didn’t want it in the bed. I live in a salt area and also deal with a lot of gravel roads. Even though they are waterproof, I didn’t want it exposed to those.

I may move it later but it works for now.

I'm planning on the VIAIR Medium Duty. https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-Medium-Duty-Onboard-System/dp/B000X9RX3A

Mount the tank on the frame, under the pass side (lots of forum posts on how). Compressor in the bed of the truck (probably on the pass side, front of the wheel well). Will be used for air horn, bike tire fills, and truck tire pressure ups. I don't plan to do heavy offroading or much with dropping the pressure too low, so don't need the run time to put 20+ PSI in every tire quickly.

If you aren’t using air tools or a horn, there is really no need for a tank. The compressor has to run just as much to fill a tire regardless if there is a tank. It may not run it at the same time.

News to me. I guess the bazillion that I’ve seen mounted under hoods were wrong.

My Hummer had onboard air. It was pretty handy with beach toys. I never really needed to air down / or back-up on my own. However, it did also power the rear air bags for the suspension.

It's funny how I never really had a desire to add a on-board compressor, but then having seen this (and other threads) I feel like I want/need one. The power of the Internet!

Edited for TYPOS - marked in bold! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back