Aftermarket(Amp) vs. factory powered running boards.

LGTremor

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Tremor
Hello, I have a Tremor coming next month and had a flashback of my kids trying to get into the backseat of my last Tremor. Again, when I reordered the truck I did not spend the $ for the running boards but have been thinking about them and putting the stock tremor boards back on when they get bigger. Does anyone have experience between the AMP aftermarket(from an installation standpoint) and the factory installed power running boards if I decide to go source a set of AMPs? Or I can just enjoy the effort it takes them to clime the mountain and cherish their younger years saving a grand+ in the process.

Hello, I have a Tremor coming next month and had a flashback of my kids trying to get into the backseat of my last Tremor. Again, when I reordered the truck I did not spend the $ for the running boards but have been thinking about them and putting the stock tremor boards back on when they get bigger. Does anyone have experience between the AMP aftermarket(from an installation standpoint) and the factory installed power running boards if I decide to go source a set of AMPs? Or I can just enjoy the effort it takes them to clime the mountain and cherish their younger years saving a grand+ in the process.
I work for 4 wheel parts and we sell alot of amp research steps , they are a plug and play step and great quality . Install is easy takes about 2.5hrs to complete . Hope that helps

Factory installed power running boards are $1k. To have the dealer install AMP Power Steps (and have any electrical faults/issues covered), it is $2k. I sold my Tremor boards for $500.

It's cheapest to put it on the order. Factory steps have some chrome, AMP steps are all black.

Factory installed power running boards are $1k. To have the dealer install AMP Power Steps (and have any electrical faults/issues covered), it is $2k. I sold my Tremor boards for $500.

It's cheapest to put it on the order. Factory steps have some chrome, AMP steps are all black.
I guess it depends on how your are spec-ing your build with regards to trim levels and options. I'd be happy to spend the $1K on the factory power running board as a staond-alone option, but the cheapest trim level they come on is Lariat Ultimate. Not available on XLT or lesser Lariat specs. Sucks.

I guess it depends on how your are spec-ing your build with regards to trim levels and options. I'd be happy to spend the $1K on the factory power running board as a staond-alone option, but the cheapest trim level they come on is Lariat Ultimate. Not available on XLT or lesser Lariat specs. Sucks.

I hate it when they do that. Adaptive Cruise isn't available to add on to anything less than Lariat Ultimate as well.

Since the steps were so similar I thought they must be one and the same. Just wondering if the integration was better/different from the factory. 1K is not that much in the scheme of things but if I end up not using the Tremor OEM steps and sell them for perhaps 500 then the power steps are like half (not counting my labor). The truck is being built so not going to add them now.

I work for 4 wheel parts and we sell alot of amp research steps , they are a plug and play step and great quality . Install is easy takes about 2.5hrs to complete . Hope that helps

Can you elaborate on the plug and play part? Is there a harness for the power and do you need forscan to activate?

Can you elaborate on the plug and play part? Is there a harness for the power and do you need forscan to activate?
There's a pre built harness that plugs to the obd port , Which send a signal to activate steps . Check out are website . Sometimes we offer free installs .

OK, I just watched an install video. Even though it was a Sierra I dont imagine Ford being any different. So the harness plugs into the OBDII connector to operate. This means any time the connection is needed for FORSCAN or any other diagnostic work you need to unplug the harness. Hmm, is this how Ford does it? Anyone with the factory installed steps know if this is the case?
I see that AMP sells a splitter that allows a second OBDII access point for $85.

Last edited:
OK, I just watched an install video. Even though it was a Sierra I dont imagine Ford being any different. So the harness plugs into the OBDII connector to operate. This means any time the connection is needed for FORSCAN or any other diagnostic work you need to unplug the harness. Hmm, is this how Ford does it? Anyone with the factory installed steps know if this is the case?
I see that AMP sells a splitter that allows a second OBDII access point for $85.

Yes, an OBD2 splitter (when using the Amp steps) is definitely the way to go. I'm fairly certain OEM (elec) steps don't use the OBD2 port like Amps. On my previous p/up, I had Amp Research steps plugged into one side of the splitter and Edge Insight gauges plugged into the other side. The Edge Insight gauges have a code reader built-in, so I hardly ever unplugged from the splitter. The Amp steps worked flawlessly. I sprayed a small amount of silicone lubricant on the hinge points from time-to-time--other than that, I just used them :giggle:
There's nothing complicated about installing Amp steps. Amp Research sells its' standard elec running boards and they also sell the XL steps which extend 3 inches further.

*edit: I forgot to mention that the Amp step goes to the home (folded-up) position when unplugged from the OBD2 port.
I think folding into the home position is a good safeguard / failsafe.

Last edited:
I went with the original equipment from Ford power deployable running boards. I like them because right from the vehicle settings screen and steering steering wheel controls I can deploy them or keep them retracted. Can that be done with AMP? I don’t know but you also get the added benefit of being able to have them covered under the factory warranty should there be a problem. They work great I have zero issues however I do not care for the chrome/stainless strip. I plan in the future applying plasty dip to that area to cover the chrome/stainless.

I went with the original equipment from Ford power deployable running boards. I like them because right from the vehicle settings screen and steering steering wheel controls I can deploy them or keep them retracted. Can that be done with AMP? I don’t know but you also get the added benefit of being able to have them covered under the factory warranty should there be a problem. They work great I have zero issues however I do not care for the chrome/stainless strip. I plan in the future applying plasty dip to that area to cover the chrome/stainless.

In hindsight, I wish I would have gotten factory power steps. Would have saved me money, gotten the control panel integration and freed up my OBD port.

Supposedly my AMP steps are covered by warranty since I had the dealership put them on. And so far they have worked flawlessly so no complaints.

Curious if anyone knows. If a truck has factory power running boards and you wanted to swap out to AMP, would you still have to do the full AMP install or can they be tapped into the stock system? Potential if I do any sort of lift that the AMP XL would be a good solution for short wife, but would be nice to retain all the factory open/close abilities vs an override switch.

Curious if anyone knows. If a truck has factory power running boards and you wanted to swap out to AMP, would you still have to do the full AMP install or can they be tapped into the stock system? Potential if I do any sort of lift that the AMP XL would be a good solution for short wife, but would be nice to retain all the factory open/close abilities vs an override switch.
Did you by any chance find this out?

Back