Adjustable Track Bar or Drop Bracket

Beardguy

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Military
Army combat vet
Current Ride
2023 BAP RR Lariat 350 Tremor
I just purched a 2.5 level kit from my local off road/4x4 shop. While at the counter the sales guy asked if I needed/wanted a drop bracket or adjustable track bar.
After a short (one is a drop down one replaces answers) I asked what is better for my needs.
Curb Appearance, will not mess up towing 10k-15klb, yet still do well for "boys will be boys" off road stuff a few times a year (Sand dunes, Foresty roads, Mild Mud Bogs)
As the price quoted was a wash as cost goes New track bar cost more but less in labor. I am not sure what to go with. I WILL USE ONE OR THE OTHER.
So making a long post longer, I asked to talk with one of the mechanics, and 2 guys come to the front. One said New adjustable track bar and the other said drop bracket.
So..... HELP please what one? And why?

I would think an adjustable track bar would suit your needs.

A drop bracket is more for taller lifts in which case you can almost get away with the factory bar.

That is my uneducated opinion.

Id go the track bar route. Allows you to purchase a superior product, more adjustability to dial it in and easier to revert back to stock if needed.

The only benefit I can see to the drop bracket is possibly having better operating angles for the joints on either end.

However a quality aftermarket bar may solve that concern as well

I ended up doing both for the simple reason of angle. My OCD got the better of me and I tend to way over-engineer things anyway. I wanted the track bar more parallel with the axle.

Adjustable track bars allow you to dial in the axle alignment with the body perfectly. The drop bracket just gives you a single drop: it does not take into an account if the truck is a 17-19, 20-22, 23+, Tremor or non-Tremor.

Back in the 17-19 days, these trucks were 1 height only in a 4x4. Now, there are 3 different possible ride heights but the manufacturers are only making 1 size track bar drop brackets.

For that reason alone, I vote for replacement.

Plus, a track bar drop bracket is just another potential failure point.

Tremor or non-Tremor use the same trac bar bracket. I was told the trac bars themselves were all the same across the F250-550 lineup.

I'd say it's more in line with what's offered by the lift/leveling kit you are buying. If neither are already part of that kit I'd think an adjustable bar would be a better choice. Be careful cause not all adjustable bars have the correct application for best ride quality. So study what's out there.

An adjustable Trac Bar will get the front end centered again after installing a lift.

A Drop Bracket for the Trac Bar will get the Steering Linkage and Trac Bar itself Parallel and help prevent Bump Steer, if needed.

All trucks are different and it really depends on how much lift you have installed as well. Install a good Adjustable Trac Bar first and see what the angles look like. Is the Steering Linkage and Trac Bar Parallel? If all looks good you are done. If the angles are off and it can be fixed or improved with a Drop Trac Bar Bracket, then that would be recommended as well to reduce or cure any Bump Steer.

I am having a Suspension installed on my 24 Tremor this week. I purchased an Adjustable Trac Bar and the Drop Bracket as well. If the Drop Bracket is not needed it will not be installed and I will return it.

Last edited:
No drop bracket, 2.5 level,

Attachments

• 47d92551-7c35-4cd2-a839-06d05487b0b1.jpg
    47d92551-7c35-4cd2-a839-06d05487b0b1.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 35
  • de80b3e0-93c1-4ce2-8a7d-418642b0222c.jpg
    de80b3e0-93c1-4ce2-8a7d-418642b0222c.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 35
  • d2c5b457-b575-4ef6-a5f1-362504841c1f.jpg
    d2c5b457-b575-4ef6-a5f1-362504841c1f.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 7cddbabf-1dfc-4529-a872-e98bc169f9a2.jpg
    7cddbabf-1dfc-4529-a872-e98bc169f9a2.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 34
Adjustable track bars allow you to dial in the axle alignment with the body perfectly. The drop bracket just gives you a single drop: it does not take into an account if the truck is a 17-19, 20-22, 23+, Tremor or non-Tremor.

Back in the 17-19 days, these trucks were 1 height only in a 4x4. Now, there are 3 different possible ride heights but the manufacturers are only making 1 size track bar drop brackets.

For that reason alone, I vote for replacement.

Plus, a track bar drop bracket is just another potential failure point.
A tracbar drop bracket a failure point? maybe if youre buying BDS or rough country.

I would do the adjustable trac bar. I bought one when I put new front coil springs in but didn’t install it. My “lift” was only about 1.5” or so and the axle didn’t move hardly at all so I just stored it in my shop in the event I’d lift higher in the future.

A tracbar drop bracket a failure point? maybe if youre buying BDS or rough country.
Correct. It's a potential failure point.

Now, I know you love PMF and they make great products. In fact, they probably make the best HD track bar drops on the market. But their track bar bracket can't be used on anything with less than a 6" lift. If I'm doing a small lift or level, then I'm running a new adjustable track bar vs a drop bracket every single time.

Correct. It's a potential failure point.

Now, I know you love PMF and they make great products. In fact, they probably make the best HD track bar drops on the market. But their track bar bracket can't be used on anything with less than a 6" lift. If I'm doing a small lift or level, then I'm running a new adjustable track bar vs a drop bracket every single time.
I never mentioned PMF. :cool:

I have a tracbar bracket on a 3.5" and I think they can do it on 2.5" as well. I dont look at a quality built product as a failure point.
Im not disagreeing with you, Id ditch the shitty factory bar 10 out of 10 times. most aftermarket bars arent much better.

I had my Icon Level Lift Suspension installed this week. An Adjustable Trac Bar and a Drop Bracket was installed to keep the Trac Bar itself and the Steering Linkage Parallel.

The Icon Drop Bracket is not an add on bracket. It replaces the Factory Frame Bracket with a lower one that has an adjustment for a 2 1/2" or 4" lift. This is not a potential failure point as others might be.

The Trac Bar Drop Bracket can be seen to the far right, just inside the Sway Bar in this picture.

IMG_1153.jpg

Not the best picture, but the Trac Bar and the Steering Linkage is just barely off from being perfectly Parallel. Icon Drop Bracket Included with the 2 1/2" Springs. (1 1/2" over Tremor)
IMG_1154.jpg

I had my Icon Level Lift Suspension installed this week. An Adjustable Trac Bar and a Drop Bracket was installed to keep the Trac Bar itself and the Steering Linkage Parallel.

The Icon Drop Bracket is not an add on bracket. It replaces the Factory Frame Bracket with a lower one that has an adjustment for a 2 1/2" or 4" lift. This is not a potential failure point as others might be.

The Trac Bar Drop Bracket can be seen to the far right, just inside the Sway Bar in this picture.

View attachment 159822

Not the best picture, but the Trac Bar and the Steering Linkage is just barely off from being perfectly Parallel. Icon Drop Bracket Included with the 2 1/2" Springs. (1 1/2" over Tremor)
View attachment 159823
Adjustable trac bar and adjustable drop bracket seems like the best of both worlds.

I don't claim to know everything, never have, and never will but that is the first time I hear about an adjustable drop bracket.

Still can't understand why you would need it on a leveling lift, after you have added an adjustable trac bar which covers up to 4.5" of suspension lift but again, someone out there knows something I certainly don't.

I definitely am digging that new ICON steering stabilizer. How much coin did you drop on that ICON set up?

I added the Trac Bar Drop Bracket so the Trac Bar itself and the Steering Linkage are Parallel. This reduces and actually can eliminate Bump Steer. Look up the Trac Bar and Drop Bracket on Icon's website for the details. In my truck's case, without the Drop Bracket the Adjustable Trac Bar is not Parallel with the Steering Linkage.

Honestly, I probably did not NEED the Icon Steering Stabilizer at all since my tires are very well balanced and do not wobble or shimmy what so ever. As is, the steering is very smooth and maybe a hair more firm than factory.

I purchased all the Icon parts direct when they had a 15% off sale a couple months ago.

Last edited:

View attachment 159822

that track bar bolt appears to not be torqued. i would check it.

Adjustable trac bar and adjustable drop bracket seems like the best of both worlds.

I don't claim to know everything, never have, and never will but that is the first time I hear about an adjustable drop bracket.

Still can't understand why you would need it on a leveling lift, after you have added an adjustable trac bar which covers up to 4.5" of suspension lift but again, someone out there knows something I certainly don't.

I definitely am digging that new ICON steering stabilizer. How much coin did you drop on that ICON set up?
Its about keeping bump steer down by aligning the trac bar and drag link. Its all the incremental things you can do to have the perfect ride.

Back