Adding Adaptive Cruise after the fact

WhiskyThrottle

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Military
retired
Current Ride
18’ GT350; 21'AMB F-350 Tremor
Anyone have an idea what would be involved in adding adaptive cruise control after the truck arrives?
I had the dealer add a few things to the order last week(winch, rain sensing, adaptive cruise). He said the adaptive cruise was showing an error but he was going to work on it with the regional manager.
He called this morning with good/bad news. The truck is scheduled for production week 1-4, it has a VIN and everything I wanted except the Adaptive cruise was not showing in the list.
It's not the end of the world, but if it's as simple as adding a couple sensors and enabling something, that would give me something to do.
Any ideas?

Edit:
My initial research is looking like it is very possible but going to take more research..

Last edited:
so you would need the radar ... and the wring harness for the bumper .... and looking at the connection on the bumper connect all the wires are there to plug in the harness i don't have it but considered adding it myself and you can add it with the forscan settings but it always crashes ... and doesn't enable .... so guess a dealer has to add it

so you would need the radar ... and the wring harness for the bumper .... and looking at the connection on the bumper connect all the wires are there to plug in the harness i don't have it but considered adding it myself and you can add it with the forscan settings but it always crashes ... and doesn't enable .... so guess a dealer has to add it

Yes, I looks like a speed sensor and a harness may need to be added. A forscan tweak and possibly an abs module may need to be changed depending on part numbers. The cameras and collision avoidance with brake support should provide some of the other requirements. I'm sure there's more but I'm trying not to get to spun up about it as it was a last minute thought after spending too much time on this forum and I don't even have the truck yet.

Anyone have an idea what would be involved in adding adaptive cruise control after the truck arrives?
I had the dealer add a few things to the order last week(winch, rain sensing, adaptive cruise). He said the adaptive cruise was showing an error but he was going to work on it with the regional manager.
He called this morning with good/bad news. The truck is scheduled for production week 1-4, has a VIN and everything I wanted except the Adaptive cruise was not showing in the list.
It's not the end of the world, but if it's as adding a couple sensors and enabling something that would give me something to do.
Any ideas?

Edit:
My initial research is looking like it is very possible but going to take more research..

I just discovered Adaptive Cruise is not included with the Lariat Ultimate package, like I thought. :(

My dealer is saying it is too late to make changes to my order, so please let me know if you find a way to add Adaptive Cruise after the fact. I asked my dealer if it is something they can add for me, but I am still waiting on their reply.

I just discovered Adaptive Cruise is not included with the Lariat Ultimate package, like I thought. :(

My dealer is saying it is too late to make changes to my order, so please let me know if you find a way to add Adaptive Cruise after the fact. I asked my dealer if it is something they can add for me, but I am still waiting on their reply.
yea i am wondering if it can be .... i may be interested in adding it

Forscan allows you to make changes it does not upgrade software, the question is, do all the trucks have it built in and its a matter of turning it on????? I believe if you have it you can go into forscan and make some changes but it may be glitchy. The parts should be available since most crashes are front end related, one would think the sensors and or radar would be easily installed. There was some type of calibration needed on the trucks when the dealers installed the winch option. So once installed that would need to be done.

Forscan allows you to make changes it does not upgrade software, the question is, do all the trucks have it built in and its a matter of turning it on????? I believe if you have it you can go into forscan and make some changes but it may be glitchy. The parts should be available since most crashes are front end related, one would think the sensors and or radar would be easily installed. There was some type of calibration needed on the trucks when the dealers installed the winch option. So once installed that would need to be done.
i have tried turning on in forscan it fails everytime so i don't think every truck has the software

I found a few threads on another forum (probably can't mention it here but it rhymes with ford-trucks) that there were some that successfully did this with just adding the parts and enabling with forscan. The trucks were were '16 and '17 from those that replied that they had success.

i have tried turning on in forscan it fails everytime so i don't think every truck has the software
Enabling it likely has something to do with the system verifying the sensors/conections are installed and valid. I don't know for sure but it seems to me it would cause an error if the parts aren't there.

I am not sure I would want to do it myself. When I changed the IC on my Raptor, part of the package was an Adaptive Cruise relocation bracket which my installer used to move the sensor up higher. I had a few issues with the adaptive cruise not working intermittently, so I took my truck into the dealer. They would not do a recalibration since it was not “From the factory” and they did not want to deal with the possible legal issues if I crashed.

I am not sure I would want to do it myself. When I changed the IC on my Raptor, part of the package was an Adaptive Cruise relocation bracket which my installer used to move the sensor up higher. I had a few issues with the adaptive cruise not working intermittently, so I took my truck into the dealer. They would not do a recalibration since it was not “From the factory” and they did not want to deal with the possible legal issues if I crashed.
Good point! Even if it turned out to be reasonably simple and cost worthy, and even if it was factory parts with a factory looking install, if some accident happened where someone was rear-ended, it would be the installer on the hook, not ford.

Disclaimer:
This thread is for entertainment purposes only. The OPs opinions or statements are not to be taken seriously or acted on. Please consult you local authorities for guidance.

That super sucks. Lariat Ultimate is a prerequisite to be able to add Adaptive Cruise for ~$700.

Can you switch your order? The DIY route sounds hinky, when you’re talking about a sensor system that determines whether or not you rear end someone. And how much are the parts? More than 700?

Enabling it likely has something to do with the system verifying the sensors/conections are installed and valid. I don't know for sure but it seems to me it would cause an error if the parts aren't there.
That is a good point... I hope that is the case...

That super sucks. Lariat Ultimate is a prerequisite to be able to add Adaptive Cruise for ~$700.

Can you switch your order? The DIY route sounds hinky, when you’re talking about a sensor system that determines whether or not you rear end someone. And how much are the parts? More than 700?
Not sure someone who has it can you post part numbers of the wiring harness on the bumper and the sensor on the bumper

There are a few forums describing how others have successfully added it. I have read about '16 and '17 superdutys and '18, 19' and 20' f150 owners adding it with costs between $560 and $950 for parts depending on what the truck started with.
It seems finding the right part numbers for modules is the trickiest part, to know if you have a compatible module or need to replace it.
From what I read it seems that having the front camera, lane keeping assist and anti-collision with brake support is a good place to start as far as keeping costs down.
Many of those that did it did the calibration of the system as well.
The calibration needs to be done with a ford VCM OBD2 adapter(or compatible) and fords IDS or FJDS/FDRS software, or by a dealer. A 2 day FJDS/FDRS licence is $50.
I have not read of any 20+' superdutys yet but I would think it would be similar.

So talked to the dealer they said they will not add it to the truck also that if added if taken in for service with it added for a service on that system would void the warranty... Guy told me to wait until the warranty is expired ... Not worth ford finding out... Also said because it is a ford connected vehicle they would get a apart that the pcm is tampered with.... So take it with a grain of salt..
But guess I am going to wait... It's not needed but would be nice to have... Also idk how it would work with the steel bumper I have

So talked to the dealer they said they will not add it to the truck also that if added if taken in for service with it added for a service on that system would void the warranty... Guy told me to wait until the warranty is expired ... Not worth ford finding out... Also said because it is a ford connected vehicle they would get a apart that the pcm is tampered with.... So take it with a grain of salt..
But guess I am going to wait... It's not needed but would be nice to have... Also idk how it would work with the steel bumper I have

I forgot to reply to this one, but my dealer pretty much told me the same thing. They will not take the liability risk for installing parts that can cause you to crash into the back of someone, so they will not do it. :cautious:

By the way, which steel bumper do you have? I am still looking for a good one!

Last edited:
Back