Added winch/Adaptive Steering issue

stroutb

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F350
I added a winch and brush guard to my truck. At first the pre-collision assist code would pop up while driving down the road, now my adaptive steering won't work. I was okay without the pre-collission assist, however I wish I still had the steering assist. It almost feels like I'm driving without power steering since I'm now used to it. Is there anything I can do to get it back working again? Maybe relocating the front sensor is an option? Also, can I clear these codes using Forescan?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 1.46.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 1.46.44 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 80
I added a winch and brush guard to my truck. At first the pre-collision assist code would pop up while driving down the road, now my adaptive steering won't work. I was okay without the pre-collission assist, however I wish I still had the steering assist. It almost feels like I'm driving without power steering since I'm now used to it. Is there anything I can do to get it back working again? Maybe relocating the front sensor is an option? Also, can I clear these codes using Forescan?
Adaptive steering is a mechanism inside the steering wheel that exaggerates your steering input at low speeds and reduces it at high speeds. How is that related to the bumper?

I have no idea. Here is the code that comes on every time I start my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_2529.JPG
    IMG_2529.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 97
I have no idea. Here is the code that comes on every time I start my truck.
I do believe steering assist and adaptive steering are different things. My guess is maybe a power steering line was cut during the bumper install.

If feels like manual steering because you're getting no power assist. The rack is electrohydraulic. Given the message, I suspect your electrons leaked out.

You can check the connectors at the rack to see if they're getting power and work backward from there. Maybe a wire was pinched and/or severed during the work.

If feels like manual steering because you're getting no power assist. The rack is electrohydraulic. Given the message, I suspect your electrons leaked out.

You can check the connectors at the rack to see if they're getting power and work backward from there. Maybe a wire was pinched and/or severed during the work.
Electrons leaking... ??

according to this article the steering is both electric and hydraulic.

My understanding of why the super duties have lane keep assist but can’t actually steer back into the lane like the f-150’s is because the super duty doesn’t have full electric steering.

I think you are correct. My power (electric) steering has gone out and now its all manual (hydraulic) steering now. I think it's a separate issue and has nothing to do with my winch and brush guards. I called the dealer and will take it there Friday morning.

I have to say that is a really big brush guard! (y)

The front camera might be "seeing it" and causing your pre-collision assist to malfunction.

I called Warn last week or so to find out which winch from their website is being installed in the Tremors and found that you can’t buy one. You have to get it from Ford because it was like a 2 year redesign of the winch and bumper to make it fit and function for the Tremor. They said that if you used any other winch/bumper that the Adaptive Cruise Control would not work due to the placement of the sensors. Like you mentioned, I don’t know if you can just relocate the sensors and fix that part of the issue or not.
They had to redesign the winch and move stuff around and design different mounting hardware. Normal mounting bolts are installed straight up and down which have normal sheer ratings. These bolts are mounted horizontal they say which takes different stress. Anyway, that’s what Warn told me.

Back