RaptorTremor

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Lariat Sport Tremor 6.7 Velocity Blue
Current Ride #2
2014 Raptor SVT Blue Flame
Alright guys, my truck is a 2020 lariat sport with the ultimate package and high capacity trailer tow package with the pro trailer backup assist. I ordered my truck exactly one year ago before build and price came out so it was done on paper. My dealer never mentioned adaptive steering so I forgot about it. In the build and price you can spec a truck just like mine and still add adaptive steering. Today I went to pull and extremely small trailer (a few hundred pounds) and at low speeds the truck felt normal but once I got a little speed the steering was real tight almost like a raptor. No way a tiny trailer would have that kind of effect on any truck. I guess that adaptive steering is combined with pro trailer backup assist since they use the same motor which you can see has an aluminum mount on the frame behind the front driver wheel. It seems weird that there would be no mention that my truck has it anywhere, not even the window sticker. What are your thoughts?

negative... check the ordering guide... the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System, which includes the pro trailer backup assist does not include adaptive steering and it can be added or left out separately

negative... check the ordering guide... the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System, which includes the pro trailer backup assist does not include adaptive steering and it can be added or left out separately
Thats what is so weird, my truck clearly has it but didn't order it.

since they use the same motor which you can see has an aluminum mount on the frame behind the front driver wheel.

Negative... that’s false news, see here:

Negative... that’s false news, see here:

Oh ok, seems I got the wrong information from somewhere. I might pull off my airbag and take a look.

The pro trailer back up assist comes with the adaptive steering. It needs the adaptive steering to move the steering wheel when backing up. it takes a few miles of driving to get used to if you have never had it.

The pro trailer back up assist comes with the adaptive steering. It needs the adaptive steering to move the steering wheel when backing up. it takes a few miles of driving to get used to if you have never had it.
That would mean Ford screwed up by not telling anyone.

That would mean Ford screwed up by not telling anyone.
I heard that it came with the PTBA in one You Tube video with some Ford engineers but could never confirm....and my truck is optioned just like RaptorTremor's.....but I am not going to dismantle my steering wheel to find out...let me know what you find if you do!

It is NOT on my sticker.

I heard that it came with the PTBA in one You Tube video with some Ford engineers but could never confirm....and my truck is optioned just like RaptorTremor's.....but I am not going to dismantle my steering wheel to find out...let me know what you find if you do!
It should be easy to see the motor, I will update later today.

This is TFL's Ike Gauntlet for the 7.3.. look at time 4:28. I think it has a shot of the adaptive motor? They say adaptive overlay while pointing to the shaft under the hood.

Edit: On further searching it does appear to be in the steering wheel altogether? Not sure why they are looking at the shaft.

Last edited:
I ordered it and paid for it so maybe I got screwed. Its on my sticker as an option for $1,000.00 but they give me some credits of $570 ( 2 of them) with the other packages.

I have it, took a 2-3 hour trip to get used to it now its just normal and I can say I like the way it drives.

Yea i'm confused. So your saying that if you have pro trailer back up assist, it automatically comes with adaptive steering. Then I spent an extra $1000 for something i already have. Makes no sense.
I have the same as you, If you added it with packages there are Credits on your window sticker, I assume so you are not purchasing options twice.
I really don't know if the adaptive steering comes with the pro trailer back up assist. I have both on my sticker. There were a couple questions marks when we placed the order, the other big one was how to get the heated steering wheel ? It is part of the rapid heat option.

That's wrong.. Adaptive steering is different. The Pro Trailer uses something kinda like drive by wire, so I guess steer by wire lol. Alot of vehicles use this for parking assist, autonomous driving etc.. Don't get the two confused.

That's wrong.. Adaptive steering is different. The Pro Trailer uses something kinda like drive by wire, so I guess steer by wire lol. Alot of vehicles use this for parking assist, autonomous driving etc.. Don't get the two confused.
And now I am more lost because one post shows it under the hood and one post earlier showed it inside the steering wheel????

Back