Adaptive Cruise / Pre-Collision Sensor not available...

OpDawg

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Ford F-350 Tremor (Antimatter Blue)
So, I’ve owned my truck (2021 F350 Tremor KR w/ winch) for 6 days. Couple days ago I received a “Pre-Collision Assist Not Available“ warning on startup and it’s been like this for a couple days. Yesterday, I learned my cruise control (both adaptive and normal) don’t work either. After some research, I found a couple items to check regarding the forward sensor (located on the drivers side lower grill/bumper opening):

1) Make sure nothing is obstructing the sensor.
-Sensor was blocked by the winch cable which was tethered to the front tow loop. (Switched that to the opposite side)
2) Verify the sensor is not loose and cables are plugged in
-Sensor is tight and cables appear to be plugged in; located out of reach, so can’t fully verify the connection
3) Verify Fuse(s)
-Haven’t tried this yet, will later this AM
4) Winch installations require the sensor to be recalibrated...
-The winch installation looks fantastic. Wire loom, clips, cable routing, bolt head direction, etc - everything was meticulous.

So mainly my questions are:

1) Is there a way to calibrate the sensor myself? Through Forscan?
2) After moving the winch cable, does the PCM or another module need to be reset for it to ‘relearn‘ the sensor is clear?
3) Any other ideas/checks?

If the issue was something blocking the sensor and you have cleared it out of the way, it should reset on its own. At least that is how it worked on the pre-collision assist on my 19 F150. During the winter snow and slush would build up and block the sensor and warning that it is not working would pop up. After the crap was out of the way, the system functioned again.

I second ibeb on the winter conditions. I've had just frost on cold mornings mess with these type of sensors.

FD3C7EE7-DA9D-4368-BF9D-B80650CF7A10.jpeg

just curious if this section was cut too far away from the winch and the glued trim strip might be tripping the sensor???

So, I’ve owned my truck (2021 F350 Tremor KR w/ winch) for 6 days. Couple days ago I received a “Pre-Collision Assist Not Available“ warning on startup and it’s been like this for a couple days. Yesterday, I learned my cruise control (both adaptive and normal) don’t work either. After some research, I found a couple items to check regarding the forward sensor (located on the drivers side lower grill/bumper opening):

1) Make sure nothing is obstructing the sensor.
-Sensor was blocked by the winch cable which was tethered to the front tow loop. (Switched that to the opposite side)
2) Verify the sensor is not loose and cables are plugged in
-Sensor is tight and cables appear to be plugged in; located out of reach, so can’t fully verify the connection
3) Verify Fuse(s)
-Haven’t tried this yet, will later this AM
4) Winch installations require the sensor to be recalibrated...
-The winch installation looks fantastic. Wire loom, clips, cable routing, bolt head direction, etc - everything was meticulous.

So mainly my questions are:

1) Is there a way to calibrate the sensor myself? Through Forscan?
2) After moving the winch cable, does the PCM or another module need to be reset for it to ‘relearn‘ the sensor is clear?
3) Any other ideas/checks?

Make sure nothing is obstructing the camera as well (dirty/scratched windshield).

I have read about others calibrating the sensor themselves. It requires a version of the ford software (50$ two day license) can't be done with forscan.
It also requires a ford VCM adapter. VCM knockoff can be as cheap as about 75$.

It's probably better to have the dealership do it.. imo. Besides potential warantee issues, it could be big legal trouble if your truck rearended someone.

Last edited:
Guessing the dealer installed the winch and f'd something up. I would quit trying to troubleshoot it and make them fix it.
Good call. It’s all under warranty and if there is something that needs to be replaced, you’re covered.

Just an update: dropped my truck off to the dealer, they tried recalibrating and flashing from what I gathered, those didn’t work so they figured the sensor is bad. Installed a new sensor the following day and claimed it was fixed.

Drove back home but after 25-30 miles with adaptive cruise on, it kicked off and said the same ‘unavailable’ message.

Got home, restarted, and sensor message cleared itself and everything was normal.

Fast forward to several days later and it’s kicked off (3) times on the highway after ~10min of driving. Each time I have to shut the truck off to reset it.

Good news is, I’ve figured out that when it’s ‘working’ if I shut off the pre-collision and adaptive cruise in the menu, it allows me normal cruise control... So, I’ve decided to roll with that until it’s time to trade back to a GM in a few years.

Just an update: dropped my truck off to the dealer, they tried recalibrating and flashing from what I gathered, those didn’t work so they figured the sensor is bad. Installed a new sensor the following day and claimed it was fixed.

Drove back home but after 25-30 miles with adaptive cruise on, it kicked off and said the same ‘unavailable’ message.

Got home, restarted, and sensor message cleared itself and everything was normal.

Fast forward to several days later and it’s kicked off (3) times on the highway after ~10min of driving. Each time I have to shut the truck off to reset it.

Good news is, I’ve figured out that when it’s ‘working’ if I shut off the pre-collision and adaptive cruise in the menu, it allows me normal cruise control... So, I’ve decided to roll with that until it’s time to trade back to a GM in a few years.
Do you think its because you have a winch or something else that you can’t figure out. I ordered the Factor 55 hook so not to clip it to the tow hook. Wondering if this would help. It’s a cleaner look IMO. I get my truck 1/4 so this is helpful. Merry Christmas ???
ATTACH=full]12065[/ATTACH]
2B1B61FE-57C1-48B3-9BF1-4429F8F7A4A5.png

Attachments

• 9332B4E6-0464-46B0-9848-5D847ACDF781.png
    9332B4E6-0464-46B0-9848-5D847ACDF781.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 61

I discovered the same thing with my 2018 Raptor‘s ACC. I could always use the normal cruise control when the adaptive displayed the unavailable message. I added an aftermarket bumper and had to move the ACC sensor up high, so the dealer would not even look at it.

Interestingly enough, I just tried using my ACC a couple of months ago on a long trip and it worked perfectly. I have used it several times since then, and the problem has not returned. :unsure:

I discovered the same thing with my 2018 Raptor‘s ACC. I could always use the normal cruise control when the adaptive displayed the unavailable message. I added an aftermarket bumper and had to move the ACC sensor up high, so the dealer would not even look at it.

Interestingly enough, I just tried using my ACC a couple of months ago on a long trip and it worked perfectly. I have used it several times since then, and the problem has not returned. :unsure:
I read where cold can affect them... Both times it was around 19F and I was driving around 76MPH. So it could be the temperature?

Honestly, I hate adaptive cruise. My wife’s car has it and the only reason I got it was my father has it on his Ford and he raved about ‘how great it was’, figured I’d learn to like it... Big mistake I guess. At least I have a work around.

Now, I just need to get Forscan to remove the (3) chime for basically ANYTHING (lights, door, backup, adaptive cruise, etc)... that chime is literally haunting my sleep and it’s like nails on chalkboard when I’m in the truck.

Do you think its because you have a winch or something else that you can’t figure out. I ordered the Factor 55 hook so not to clip it to the tow hook. Wondering if this would help. It’s a cleaner look IMO. I get my truck 1/4 so this is helpful. Merry Christmas ???
ATTACH=full]12065[/ATTACH]
Well, when I received my truck absolutely it could have been the winch cable since they tethered it to the driver’s side tow hook (across the sensor). But after I moved it, the problem has persisted.

Just got my winch installed have we had any fixes anybody found on this matter?
Yeah, it's in the winch installation instructions. One of the first few steps is removing the adaptive cruise mount AND DISCARDING it. If they reinstalled it or left it in, it pushes the adaptive cruise module out and out of spec - from what I've found...

Removing the old mount fixes the problem, once the module is recalibrated.

I’ve installed this bracket when I installed a new bumper. It allows you to put the module anywhere you want. I needed this because of my ranch hand bumper…the module was exposed with no protection. This provides a plastic cover and easily bent bracket so a pair of bolts is all you need.

ATTACH=full]12065[/ATTACH]View attachment 12067
I love that part I got mine in Velocity Blue to match the truck cause I want to look cool when I am stuck! :cool: :cool:
IMG_7149.jpeg

Yeah, it's in the winch installation instructions. One of the first few steps is removing the adaptive cruise mount AND DISCARDING it. If they reinstalled it or left it in, it pushes the adaptive cruise module out and out of spec - from what I've found...

The old bracket was not reinstalled it is installed on the bracketry from the winch itself. Looks like there's an alignment issue and trying to figure out if I can recrallibrate it and adjust it level but any advice on that?

Truck is at the dealership right now and they're saying there's no communication from the sensor so it seems like the sensor is busted. They're going to test with another sensor to see if that is in fact the case, fingers crossed

Just started getting this warning on my dash this weekend. Going to pop the plastic cover off and see if I can see anything blocking it etc..

Just started getting this warning on my dash this weekend. Going to pop the plastic cover off and see if I can see anything blocking it etc..
I know it sounds crazy, but there are a few other strings on here for this. I found one of the batteries positive terminal was never tightened from the factory, and once tight it cured all of the issues. I imagine it is a loose connection somewhere, but I could be wrong. Good luck.

Latest Discussions

Back